Engine won't reach normal temperature after cooling system replacement

Pure distilled water is fine for short-term use but coolant also contains a lubricant for the water pump and anti-corrosives for the system as a whole.
I pulled the thermostat; it was a 160°. I put the crappy one in there and fired it up, it got up to 190 before I had to go back to work. It "burped" much more aggressively with the 1/8" hole drilled into the rim, that's a neat trick. It made the ticking and water noise when I turned it off. It was more like frying bacon this time, but last night it was much louder and lasted longer, ticking included. The ticking is very loud. Here's a video. The gurgling doesn't come through on the video very well, you may not hear it if you're watching this on your phone. Headphones would be better. I'll take it for another drive tonight and attempt to get a video of it as loud as it was last night. What do you guys think? Oh, and I flushed the heater core, there didn't appear to be any clogs. It flowed freely, and it didn't look very dirty.

About time that root cause of all this came out after claiming it was a 195 degree model. 🤣
If you're insinuating that I claimed it was a 195° model, I didn't even know there were different thermostat temperatures available until it was mentioned in this thread. I was advised in this thread to check the box. The box said it was 195°. It was later suggested that I check to see if it was the wrong part in the box, which seems to be the case. So, NAPA claimed it was a 195° thermostat. Without the troubleshooting help of the members of this forum, I wouldn't even have known any of that. So, all of this time may have been a waste of time for some, but for me it was critical. I hoped that I would be able to find information like this here. I also purchased a "Supporting Membership" before posting this thread to at least contribute towards the forum, if not directly to the people who post here to help newbies like me. I attempted to compensate the forum for any wasting of time.

Last edited:
That's not boiling coolant. Sounds like oil falling back into the pan. Sounds loud, but videos can do weird things. The ticking just sounds like a cooling exhaust.

Reactions: ChristopherJ
Guys, I replaced my radiator, water pump, thermostat (195°), and thermostat housing today, and now either my temp gage is lying to me, or my engine won’t reach normal temperature. It’s running cold. My fan clutch is locked, has been since I got it.

I noticed weeping from somewhere up there, so I bought a water pump. Before installing the pump, I decided to flush the system. What came out of my coolant system was mud. Brown, with lots of goo chunks and slime. So I flushed it 3 more times, and it wouldn’t clear up much at all. Under the cap, the radiator looked bad. Lots of silty rust-colored sediment. So I decided to replace it, too. I was going to replace the coolant temp sensor, too, but the auto parts store gave me the wrong part, so I put the old sensor back in. Before I put it in, I noticed that the end of it was covered in silty residue, so I lightly hit it with a scotch brite pad and shined it up a little before re-installing it. I then filled the system with distilled water because I want to flush it at least once more to see what comes out before filling with coolant. I started the vehicle to burp the system, and it would never reach normal temp while idling. I listened closely to see if the engine seemed to be distressed, then I realized that I have no idea what that would sound like, so I stopped. I observed the exhaust, it doesn’t seem to be burning anything it shouldn’t. I had the heater on at idle, it got warm for a moment, then got cool. I took it for a short drive, and the temp still wouldn’t reach normal, but the heater started blowing warm again. Not exactly hot, though. I took some pictures, that was at a stoplight. It actually got ever so slightly cooler when at speed. When I got home, I could rest my hand on the valve cover, it was not too hot. The radiator cap was cool to the touch on top. Inside the cab, the gauge was very consistent during my drive, and didn’t randomly fluctuate. I checked for leaks, there seem to be none so far.

My fan clutch is locked on. I did the spin test when warm and cold, and it’s the same either way, it won’t spin much, not even 1/4 of a turn after I let go. I understand that having the fan on all the time will lower the temp, but that much? I’ll get a new fan clutch as soon as I can, but it’s going to have to wait. I ensured that the thermostat I put in was a 195°.

Any advice? I’m going to try burping it again tomorrow morning to see if I can get any air out of the line, and I’m also going to go get the correct coolant temp sensor and install it.

What part controls the temp gauge in the instrument cluster? Is it the coolant temp sensor? Do you think I got a bad thermostat? Could air in the system be causing this? What I’ve read led me to believe that air in the system would cause spikes, not cold. Is there any chance that this problem will magically correct itself over the next few days? I really don’t relish the idea of tearing it back down.

You may remember from a couple of other threads I posted recently that this is all new to me. I have absolutely no mechanical skill, and probably have low mechanical aptitude. I'm not going to lie, I bought this old Jeep specifically to learn how to work on a vehicle because my friends on Facebook post about their restorations frequently, and it looked fun and rewarding. But, after the investment, I must admit that tinkering with critical systems like this is anxiety inducing. I could use some advice please.

I used this guide for the install, as well as numerous YouTube videos:

https://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/05pump/waterpump-1.htmhttps://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/05pump/waterpump-1.htm

Thanks guys.

View attachment 211886
Check engine operating temperature With a digital thermometer in various locations , like :
thermostat housing , radiator top and bottom, heater inlet/outlet , block
- you were saying everything worked normal before replacing parts ?
- vacuum fill the coolant

Reactions: ChristopherJ
These systems don’t bleed out the air as easily as some other cars. You’ll be doing the heat up, let cool, top off bit a few times to get all the air out. While this is happening you will get some weird temp gauge readings and heater fluctuations.
If someone local to you has a vacuum coolant system filler it will save you all that effort.
Otherwise just run, cool, top off, repeat.

Should my coolant start to boil at 215? I was doing the burping procedure and I had to stop bc it rapidly began to boil and fill up my funnel that was attached to the radiator. I already know something is off because my thermostat is getting hot way before coolant ever should be flowing.

Should my coolant start to boil at 215? I was doing the burping procedure and I had to stop bc it rapidly began to boil and fill up my funnel that was attached to the radiator. I already know something is off because my thermostat is getting hot way before coolant ever should be flowing.

You may have a large air pocket in the cooling system. The way I have found that works great is when the system is cool. Disconnect one hose from the heater core, the either fill the system through the hose or the radiator until you see coolant coming out of the core or hose. Reinstall the hose and tighten the clamp. Top off the radiator and start the engine. Top off the radiator until you see the coolant to start rising in radiator, then install the cap. I then let it run until the upper hose is hot, shut it off and let it cool and top off. Go for a drive keeping an eye on the gauge. Then I will usually top it off the next day.

Reactions: Duner
You may have a large air pocket in the cooling system. The way I have found that works great is when the system is cool. Disconnect one hose from the heater core, the either fill the system through the hose or the radiator until you see coolant coming out of the core or hose. Reinstall the hose and tighten the clamp. Top off the radiator and start the engine. Top off the radiator until you see the coolant to start rising in radiator, then install the cap. I then let it run until the upper hose is hot, shut it off and let it cool and top off. Go for a drive keeping an eye on the gauge. Then I will usually top it off the next day.

One can stop all those shenanigans by just drilling a bleed hole in the flange of the thermostat.

One can stop all those shenanigans by just drilling a bleed hole in the flange of the thermostat.
And positioning the hole at the top when installing it into the thermostat housing.

Thermostat drilled hole.jpg

It begins an endless cycle of bullshit when you do it that way without the bleed hole in the thermostat flange. It starts heating up, boils the coolant up into the funnel and overflowing it. Then the thermostat finally opens, coolant closes the thermostat, now the radiator is underfilled, boils too fast again, over flows the funnel, rinse and repeat.

Drill the flange, 1/8" hole, put that at the top, all that crap goes away.

I know that but sounds like he already has it together, I don’t know about you but I hate dealing with coolant once it’s the system.

And positioning the hole at the top when installing it into the thermostat housing.

View attachment 415915

I see what all of you are saying. For starters, I have an 03 2.4 L, so the thermostat sits horizontal to the engine rather than vertical. The thermostat is also slightly different, as seen in the picture. It already features a hole with a jiggle pin. I have had issues with the stant super stat so I ordered a Mopar thermostat.

As Jerry and some others have seen on another thread, I’ve been having a hell of a time fixing this issue. I’m hoping I’m just getting unlucky with thermostats.

4B9BBC94-B434-407E-93FF-4DD64A52054D.png

89EF9FE5-55E5-4C5E-BAAC-81F058EFAF23.png

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I see what all of you are saying. For starters, I have an 03 2.4 L, so the thermostat sits horizontal to the engine rather than vertical. The thermostat is also slightly different, as seen in the picture. It already features a hole with a jiggle pin. I have had issues with the stant super stat so I ordered a Mopar thermostat.

As Jerry and some others have seen on another thread, I’ve been having a hell of a time fixing this issue. I’m hoping I’m just getting unlucky with thermostats.

View attachment 415932

View attachment 415933

The jiggle pin or tube with the ball in it that the jiggle pin replaced is what we use to know where to drill the hole which is right next to it. The jiggle pin doesn't work.

The jiggle pin or tube with the ball in it that the jiggle pin replaced is what we use to know where to drill the hole which is right next to it. The jiggle pin doesn't work.

So if the thermostat has either the jiggle pin or the tube with ball, I should drill a 1/8th hole right next to it? Like Jerry’s pic.

Why would they have that feature if it doesn’t work?

So if the thermostat has either the jiggle pin or the tube with ball, I should drill a 1/8th hole right next to it? Like Jerry’s pic.

Why would they have that feature if it doesn’t work?

No idea but here is what I do know. When the thermostats had the tube and ball, they worked fine, we never had an issue even without the coolant funnel. Then that went away and was replaced with the jiggle pin. The problems started, bring it up to temp to start circulating the coolant, the temp would rise too fast, then the expanding air bubble would push coolant into the funnel and overflow it, coolant hits thermostat, closes the thermostat, now the system is underfilled, can't see coolant in the tank, add some to the funnel, and then the cycle would repeat and keep making a mess and be on the verge of getting the engine a lot hotter than I was happy with or at least the temp gauge was too high.

Drill the hole, all that bullshit goes away and it bleeds like a normal system and like they used to with the tube and ball.

If you're insinuating that I claimed it was a 195° model, I didn't even know there were different thermostat temperatures available until it was mentioned in this thread. I was advised in this thread to check the box. The box said it was 195°. It was later suggested that I check to see if it was the wrong part in the box, which seems to be the case. So, NAPA claimed it was a 195° thermostat. Without the troubleshooting help of the members of this forum, I wouldn't even have known any of that. So, all of this time may have been a waste of time for some, but for me it was critical. I hoped that I would be able to find information like this here. I also purchased a "Supporting Membership" before posting this thread to at least contribute towards the forum, if not directly to the people who post here to help newbies like me. I attempted to compensate the forum for any wasting of time.
It’s only a waste of time if you didn’t learn anything. Sounds like you did. Parts aren’t always in the right boxes so it’s best to look at them first and knowing how to flush a coolant system are two nice things to know. Glad you figured out your problem. I once tried for hours to get a pulley off a dodge rams old water pump before giving up. Nearly had a heat stroke and a mental meltdown. Took it to the parts store for suggestions and they realized they gave me the wrong part. The correct part already had the pulley on it.

No idea but here is what I do know. When the thermostats had the tube and ball, they worked fine, we never had an issue even without the coolant funnel. Then that went away and was replaced with the jiggle pin. The problems started, bring it up to temp to start circulating the coolant, the temp would rise too fast, then the expanding air bubble would push coolant into the funnel and overflow it, coolant hits thermostat, closes the thermostat, now the system is underfilled, can't see coolant in the tank, add some to the funnel, and then the cycle would repeat and keep making a mess and be on the verge of getting the engine a lot hotter than I was happy with or at least the temp gauge was too high.

Drill the hole, all that bullshit goes away and it bleeds like a normal system and like they used to with the tube and ball.

Classic case of engineers fixing something that isn’t broken (I’m an engineer and witness this all the time).

I’ll try this new mopar thermostat with the tube and ball.