Ethel - Budget Restoration

So I finally got some help laying down sound deadener, heat shield and new carpet. As well as new 03-06 roll bar padding and covers.

HUGE thanks to (Brian) 06TJ35's !!! If you ever need work done on your Jeep in Socal. Give Brian a call. He's a great guy. And charges very reasonable rates.

We started with a layer of Second Skin sound deadener. https://www.secondskinaudio.com/ It comes in fairly large sheets. And didn't take as long as I thought it would. Second Skin is a direct competitor to Dynamat. Is as good if not better. And costs about half the price. Noice on Amazon is good stuff too. And even cheaper. Although I think it comes in smaller sheets. The larger sheets were definitely easy to work with.

View attachment 168177

Next we laid down heat shield. Which I thought was going to be hard to work with. But between the two of us - one cutting and one spraying adhesive and laying it down with the rollers. It conformed to every angle. And was easy to deal with. So glad I added this layer. It covers the entire bottom to block heat from the drive train and exhaust. I didn't bother with it on the wheel wells. Just the bottom. But look how nice it laid down. It reflects 97% of radient heat. They also give you aluminum tape to tape up the seams. Turns out really nice imho. www.carinsulation.com We'll see how well it performs this summer in the Socal heat.

View attachment 168172

View attachment 168173

Next was the ACC Essex carpet. It's the thickest pile you can get in a Jeep. And only costs around $250 or less. It's more of a luxury carpet. It's not something you'd put down if you wanted to hose your Jeep out say. Or you go mud bogging or stream crossings. It does come out. And could be sprayed down though. But with the sound deadener down. I don't think I'll be spraying my Jeep out.

It was a bit of a bitch getting the seats to re bolt down. With the sound deadener, heat shield and thick pile carpet. Brian had a heck of time with my Misch Big Boy brackets. But he eventually got it all tucked under and in it's right place. This is why I had Brian helping me. Or doing most of the work I should say. My back couldn't handle it.

View attachment 168174

View attachment 168176

This was a test fit to see how far we could go with the sound deadener and heat shield. You can also see my old faded roll bar covers. I replaced those below.

View attachment 168181

Next up was new roll bar padding and covers off an 03-06. It will fit a 97-02. But it does take some modifying of the styrofoam padding. Specifically where the front seat belts tie into the roll bar. You have to cut some foam away there so the brackets and covers will fit. Also you have to trim off about a third of the foam on the upper middle cross member on the roll cage. In order for the soundbar to fit far enough forward that the holes match up.

View attachment 168175

It took the better part of two days. Maybe 7 hours per day. To get it done. Again, that's with Brian doing the bulk of the work. I helped out with the heat shield, roll bar covers and a couple annoying things that came up. Like I removed the drivers side kick panel. The carpet was just not meant to go over it or under it. Removed it fits fairly nice. I did not adhere the carpet in any way. But I may use some spray adhesive like I used on the heat shield in the future. I figured I'd give the carpet time to settle in and shape to the contours of the pan etc. etc. See how it's fitting after a while. And then deal with any places that I think need better fitment.

I did run into a problem that I should have foreseen. The security trunk doesn't fit with all the layers under it. The side bolt holes don't match up anymore. It's basically a metal box that sits in front of the tail gate. When the taiIgate closes it creates a security lock trunk that can't be gotten into without unlocking the tailgate. I may have to remove the carpet under it. So that it will bolt up again. IDK. If I did that I would be certainly committing to the security trunk. Cause it would look like shit if I ever took it out. The carpet isn't tacked down back there. So I thought I might just remove a half inch cut along the lines of the bottom of the security box. Then it will seat further down. And hopefully get the bolt holes to line up again.

Now that my carpet and roll bar covers are all spanky new. I want to get some of those Caltrend seat covers. My front seats are not stock. They are 03-06 and this is of course a '99. Rear seat is original just not from my Jeep. But they don't match. And the fronts are sun damaged and smell like old man. I'm hoping if I clean them one more time and cover them with seat covers. They won't smell so bad.

The original carpet was disgusting. Old faded and seriously stained by god knows what. I think alot of the stink might be coming from there too. So hopefully this upgrade will not only make the interior sound and look better. But smell better too. lol.

I've currently got the soft top sitting in the sun. As soon as it heats up I'll put it back on. And take it for a test drive. I think the sound deadening is going to be substantial. And I can't wait to take the top back off. And drive it with it down. My new carpet and roll bar covers look great. As opposed to the icky, sun faded, dirty crap I had in there.

Again, thanks to Brian! He's been a huge help to me on my Jeep build. With my back surgeries he's made it possible to upgrade my Jeep in ways I could not have alone. Give him a ring if you need help with anything. He just graduated from mechanics school. He's done everything from a tune up on my Jeep, to brakes, to all these interior issues. For a very reasonable rate. And he's a kick ass dude to boot. :) I can't thank him enough.

EDIT - Looking back on my original pics of this Jeep. I can't believe how far it's come. lol. If only my paint looked as good as in my avatar. It looks good from 20ft away once it's washed. But it really needs a color correction/buff job. And some touch up. I will probably never get it repainted. But it would be nice to have it touched up and color corrected.

Reactions: FJQue
Good job, man. I like what your doing and following along. My '98 Sahara is my budget baby too. I've got teenagers, so my toys come last, for now. But, I did just order the Hella H4 headlight conversion and was looking at replacing my stock driving lights with the 500's. What is your impression on them? Seems like a decent light for the money.

Thanks!!

Sorry. I just saw this.

The Hella lights I'm running are the fog lights. I highly recommend the Trucklite knock offs.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/replaced-headlights-with-truck-lite-knockoffs.6239/
They run $65 and are about as good as the $300 originals. Many on here run them. I've had mine on for about 8 months. And they are fantastic.

Reactions: ToddDerrArtist
Here's some pics of how the roll bar and sound bar covers turned out. I'm pretty pleased with the fatter 03-06 pads and cover. I used about a half can of SEM Landau Black color coat on the sound bars fabric. The vinyl was fine. But the fabric was like 4 shades of grey lighter. I didnt tape it off. And the color coat appeared to not go onto the vinyl. But only on the fabric. So I hit it with the SEM just free hand. And it covered the grey really nicely. With a very close match to the roll bar covers.

I did have to remove some of the styrofoam padding. Around the seat belt brackets on the B pillars. And a long swath of it off the overhead roll bar. To fit the sound bar. I used a sharp kitchen knife. Taped the line. But cut along it freehand.

I can't wait to get the Caltrends seat covers on. I think it will tie it right in.

20200612_192106.jpg

20200612_191929.jpg

20200612_192012.jpg

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
I'm revisiting my carpet installation. As I have a couple thoughts about the ACC Essex (thickest pile they make) carpet.

Alot of guys. Well I should say @Chris and I at least. Laid down a sound deadener and then a thicker layer of either more sound deadener or heat shield. In Chris' case he laid down some thick foam mat over the sound deadener. Whereas I laid down a heat shield that was two layers of foil type material with an inner layer of foam - www.carinsulation.com . The long and short of my point here is that both us laid down a good half inch (?) of material.

I then ordered the thickest pile carpet made for our Jeeps. The ACC Essex carpet. (You can go one move thicker if you get the mass backed version. But it does the job of our sound deadener. Albeit in not quite as effective a way.) I was concerned about how the thick pile carpet would lay down over a half inch or so of sound deadener/heat shield material. And I was partially right.

20200704_090613.jpg

As you can see it laid down fairly well. But if I had it to do again. I would probably opt for the normal pile thickness from ACC. As it wasn't really necessary with the 1/2" of materials laid down. And it's so thick that my new floor mats don't lay down quite right. But it is quiet and muffled inside the cab. Some of which is do to the Essex carpet.

So just a heads up. If you doing this much sound deadening. A thinner carpet will work just fine.

Reactions: Chris
Caltrend seat covers.

If you search "Caltrends" you'll find a great thread on Caltrends seat covers. For $150 you can get a complete set of seat covers for your Jeep. That are tough, tight and look great. (Granted mine look kind of shitty right now. But I haven't finished the install.)

20200704_090916.jpg

As you can see mine aren't quite tight. But I just put them on last night. If they were made any tighter they wouldn't go on. And mine still need to be pulled down by a good half inch to an inch more. I just didn't have the extra elbow grease to get them all the way down on the top. But I am VERY happy with them. I'm gonna get my son out there with me today to tighten them all the way down.

I opted for the Duramax. As it's waterproof and sheds dog hair better than the Sportex fabric version. (Read the caltrends thread. You'll learn more.) So it's the Duramax that you see here. Which I don't think are as flexible as the Sportex fabric. The Sportex looks softer. But is not waterproof and does not shed the dog hair as well.

They look a little loose in areas. But I think that will tighten up over time. As the sun hits them. And they stretch and tighten from use etc. etc.

They look great. And took my non matching front and rear seats to a basic black for just over $150. Which you can't beat. The only area I was not aware of. And does not make them look shitty or anything. Is the vinyl backs and pockets. I would have gladly paid more for better looking fabric back there. But again, it doesn't look bad. It's just a personal preference. And I thought I should point it out to those looking at Duramax.

20200703_130641.jpg

20200704_090826.jpg

20200704_090845.jpg

You can see in that last pic where I need to tighten them down another inch or so. It takes some strength to get the uppers on. And I'm going to sit it out in the sun today for a bit. And then try to stretch them down further onto the upper part of the seat. The lower is pretty tight. And both have perfectly placed slits and holes for the adjustment handles on each part of the seat.

My rear seats are not on yet. As I have a security trunk blocking my way. I'm going to have my son help me take that out today. And get the rears on too. Again I would have liked the rear of those seats in Duramax rather than vinyl. But it's not a deal breaker. These seat covers have taken my seats from looking old and faded to brand new. And it matches the roll bar and speaker bar fabric perfectly.

Reactions: Kaptainkid1
Well I'm wishing I'd gone with the thinner cutpile carpet. As my rubber car mats are now folding on the sides. And getting in the way of my right foot on the gas pedal. The footwell is filled with sound deadener, heat shield, and the thicker essex acc carpet. So not quite enough room for weathertech type mud mats. Forget which brand mine are. Rugged ridge? Anyway they don't fit. Nor would any deep dish rubber mat imho.

Im going to have to go with carpet floor mats. Luckily acc carpets makes them in the same color as my carpet. $57. About as much as my rubber mats. In the thinner cutpile carpet.

Im getting the thinner mats as i figure they will dry out faster. And i will need to remove them and hose them off from time to time.

Dont get me wrong the thicker essex carpet looks and feels great. And most likely cuts down on sound and heat more than the thinner cutpile. But i think with all the sound deadener and heat shield. Its not necessary. Plus if i wanted to pull the carpets and hose them off. The cutpile would dry faster. Although i think the trouble it would take to remove and reinstall makes it a very seldom thing.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
Awesome work on this build, lots of budget friendly items I’m going to try! I wish I knew about that trim restorer before I did mine. I don’t like my flares so am just going to replace them soon. You definitely transformEd your Jeep! I have the same floor mats and they do the Same thing with factory carpet. I’m waiting on a new set that have been back ordered for 3 months.

Awesome work on this build, lots of budget friendly items I’m going to try! I wish I knew about that trim restorer before I did mine. I don’t like my flares so am just going to replace them soon. You definitely transformEd your Jeep! I have the same floor mats and they do the Same thing with factory carpet. I’m waiting on a new set that have been back ordered for 3 months.
I'd paint your flares. With SEM. If you can. Alot easier doing it when they are off. And it won't fade as easily as the plastic.

Thank you for the kind words. Next up is an Or-Fab tire carrier. Then new tires. And an oem soft top.

Reactions: Vasq
I'd paint your flares. With SEM. If you can. Alot easier doing it when they are off. And it won't fade as easily as the plastic.

Thank you for the kind words. Next up is an Or-Fab tire carrier. Then new tires. And an oem soft top.
Absolutely, I just wrote mine up to track my progress over time. I will remember SEM for the future!

I love the look of those Hella fog lights so much that I bought some for mine. When they get here, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain for tips on mounting and wiring.

Your build/restoration is one of my favorites. Low key. Old school. I'm really enjoying it.

I love the look of those Hella fog lights so much that I bought some for mine. When they get here, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain for tips on mounting and wiring.

Your build/restoration is one of my favorites. Low key. Old school. I'm really enjoying it.
Dont ditch your old brackets. They may work better.

Ya. Contact me anytime. :)

Reactions: TrishTJ
So I finally got a NOS OEM soft top on. Over new sound deadener, heatshield, and ACC Essex carpet down on the tub.

Took it for a test drive. And its AMAZING!!!!!! Could not be quieter inside! And my stereo sounds like the kick ass stereo that it should.

I don't know how oem tops compare to modern Bestops. But this one is alot nicer than my Rampage.

20200529_183252.jpg

Here it is above. Thats my old top. But the new top looks pretty much the same as my old rampage top from 10 ft away. But no comparison in materials and build quality. I'm sure the top has alot to do with the lack of cabin noise. Only complaint is the flapping at the center crossbar. But I'll solve that like i did on the rampage. Just get some pipe insulation from HD.

20200605_180644.jpg

Above is the Second Skin sound deadener going down.

20200606_124347.jpg

This is the spray adhesive going down over the sound deadener to attach the heat shield.

20200606_141111.jpg
20200606_140929.jpg

And thats the heatshield going down. Thanks for all the help Brian!

20200606_142923.jpg

Thats the ACC Essex carpet going in. I'd use the thinner Cutpile next time. As the thicker Essex carpet messed with my deep dish floor mats. They didn't fit right after adding everything. But it is quiet and luxurious.

Had to wait for the last warm day today. To get the NOS OEM soft top on. But man was it worth it. I dont know how this top compares to modern Bestops. But its alot nicer than my $200 Rampage top.

So if your thinking about sound deadening. I say go for it. The much quieter ride is well worth it. I'd say its a 60% reduction in cabin noise. Maybe more. Could be 65% to 70% reduction. Both from under the tub and just ambient noise all around you.

I'm really amazed. You can have a conversation on the freeway. Without yelling. And the stereo sounds better than it ever has. Like 200% better.

I used:

Second Skin Audio 80mil iirc. Some were b samples too. Which are cheaper seconds you can buy from them. Its one of the top three companies doing it. At about half the price of Dynamat.

Www.carinsulation.com for heatshield. It blocks 97% of radiant heat coming in. And some sound blocking. Its cheap and comes with aluminum seam tape.

3M General Spray Adhesive. Light coats just to tack the heat shield down.

ACC Essex carpet. From ACC Carpet. But buy from Rockauto. Much cheaper. Be sure to request carpet samples from ACC as the colors dont match on their website. I used Agate iirc. It was the closest match to the interior.

NOS OEM soft top. 2001 or later are made with sailcloth. For around $600-$800 its alot cheaper than a new Bestop.

Hope this helps someone.

20200605_143500.jpg

Last edited:
I got new shoes and a windshield awhile back. Windshield was 250 installed at my house. The tires were falkan wildpeak at3w 265/70r17. From walmart. Cost around 800 with install and lifetime rotate.

20210422_145951.jpg

20210422_145940.jpg

Lastly, my flares are flaking off. Ever since i used forever black on them they've been screwed. I sanded them with grey scotchbrite, dawn detergent and acetone. Coated with sem adhesion promoter and sem paint.

First there was a streak missing like i had dropped sweat on it. Was a hot day. But now flecks are coming off.

If u recall they were faded blue from PO. I think im going to replace with new oem. This forever black really messed them up.

• Love
Reactions: Dunkut88TJ and Vasq
The tires ride as well as the stock wrangler street tires did. If they are noisier i cant tell. Ride quality is excellent. And i havent even aired down yet.

Well my flares paint job has turned to shit.

Originally i tried forever black on them. That failed. So i stripped them down with dawn and grey autobody scotchbrite pads. Then acetone. Then sem adhesion promoter. And several coats of sem trim black. Followed directions on cans to a T.

Now the paint is flaking off. I think it must be the forever black. I think i am going to ditch these flares.

Should i buy used and repaint again or buy new flares? Are there new OEM flares available?

Screenshot_20210608-113902_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-113856_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-113849_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-113842_Gallery.jpg

Sorry to hear about the flares. Dunno how I missed your build, Jeep looks stunning.
Even with the flares doing their thing :LOL:

Keep up the great work!

Thanks man.
They sell OEM style flares for TJ' still. It looks like you are going for a OEM look on your jeep, so those would be your best bet. I like the OEM style Metal Flares. Mine came with the late 90's early 2000 Flares that I hate. I am in the process of getting them removed and replaced.

They sell OEM style flares for TJ' still. It looks like you are going for a OEM look on your jeep, so those would be your best bet. I like the OEM style Metal Flares. Mine came with the late 90's early 2000 Flares that I hate. I am in the process of getting them removed and replaced.
Oem metal flares?