EV thread

Reactions: BlueC
It found that brakes and tires on EVs release 1,850 times more particle pollution compared to modern tailpipes, which have “efficient” exhaust filters, bringing gas-powered vehicles' emissions to new lows. Today, most vehicle-related pollution comes from tire wear.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/05/business/evs-release-more-toxic-emissions-are-worse-for-the-environment-study/#:~:text=It found that brakes and,pollution comes from tire wear.

Yep, I saw that. Anyone who bought an EV because they thought it was more “environmentally friendly” was fooling themselves. Smart folks already knew this.

They’re more fun to drive, sure. Not better for the environment though.

Reactions: CreepinDeth
But can it still go 0-60 in 3 seconds?

I'll also be surprised if this isn't bullshit and will be disappointed if it turns out the Chinese are smarter than us by this order of magnitude.

And how much does it cost and how long does it last? And how many children in the Congo are going to die for it?

They’re more fun to drive, sure.

But can it still go 0-60 in 3 seconds?

I'm not convinced they are more fun. I think many people are wowed by the immediate acceleration initially, but as I understand it from long term car reviews, it gets old pretty quickly and isn't particularly usable for regular driving. As well, it can be very unsettling for passengers in the vehicle, whether done once or repeatedly. I see it as a bit of a novelty.

Reactions: BlueC and Zorba
I'm not convinced they are more fun. I think many people are wowed by the immediate acceleration initially, but as I understand it from long term car reviews, it gets old pretty quickly and isn't particularly usable for regular driving. As well, it can be very unsettling for passengers in the vehicle, whether done once or repeatedly. I see it as a bit of a novelty.

I believe it was Car and Driver that described the Tesla’s acceleration as a Party Trick.

Their low COG also lends itself to great handling.

But of course they're severely lacking when it comes to making racecar noises. So Dodge is making theirs loud with a fake exhaust :rolleyes:

Reactions: chili_pepper

Yeah I can’t say for sure. I’ve only driven them briefly and I will say it was very fun for that short time.

Reactions: chili_pepper
Their low COG also lends itself to great handling.

True, but their excessive weight does not. EV's are substantially heavier (in any form) relative to a comparable diesel or gasoline powered vehicle. As a result they are harder on tires and the road, even under normal driving conditions. I already made a post weeks ago regarding what happens in an accident with these vehicles...

I do want to be clear, I'm not necessarily anti-EV. They do not appeal to me personally and I also think that, not only are they not the correct solution to the problem, they are not what they claim to be in terms of "greenness". As with many issues, I think the public has been sold a false bill of goods (for questionable reasons) and it's the little guy that pays the price in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and srimes
Even if EV tech evolves to the point that battery packs weigh 300 lbs and travel 1500 miles on a five minute charge some of your are so politically invested in anti-EV stuff you will still hate it. Just sayin.

• Haha
Reactions: srimes
Even if EV tech evolves to the point that battery packs weigh 300 lbs and travel 1500 miles on a five minute charge some of your are so politically invested in anti-EV stuff you will still hate it. Just sayin.

It had better be both cheap AND reliable/long lived. Good luck getting that.

Until you daily drive one you wouldn't know. They are infinitely more fun, the torque and immediate response is perfect for city driving and getting away from shitty drivers quickly, they handle and ride great, and they are quiet. They aren't for saving anything related to the environment, it's nice not to give big oil their $6, and they are a wonderful driving experience for commuting. Do they replace gas - no and they shouldn't be marketed as that replacement.

They are infinitely more fun

I think this is very subjective. If you're into data, maybe the electric is impressive. If you're into feel, probably not so much.

city driving

Yeah, maybe, but I don't do that. Not much for city anything and that feeling grows stronger with every passing year. I have lived in cities and could still survive in one if necessary, but as it's not...

they are a wonderful driving experience for commuting

Opinions vary and I suspect ours would not necessarily align on this subject (and possibly others given your geographic location, but I digress...). That said, I am very fortunate in that I work from home and therefore don't need to commute anymore...and I sincerely hope that never changes until I'm dead or retired.

I currently own two vehicles, an '04 BMW MINI Cooper S and '05 Jeep TJ Unlimited (both with manual gearboxes), which I can't necessarily defend with any logic given the aforementioned work situation. But I like them both quite a bit and hate the thought of parting with either. I've owned the MCS for 16 years, put many thousands of miles on her and have done all of the mechanical work myself in that time. I dumped an '07 328xi for the TJ just last May for the fun, simplicity and lack of electronic annoyances inherent in the Bimmer. As a side note, I drive the LJ 99% of the time now and I'm just hitting 3k and my 2nd oil change since buying it. Both put a smile on my face every time I drive them and I doubt either experience could ever be trumped by any electric vehicle...it's an apples and oranges situation.

Speaking of, it's sunny out and the MINI needs a good leg stretch. I'll take the handling, sound of her supercharger and engine overrun, really the entire driving experience, over anything electric any day of the week. To me there is just no comparison. I'm not hating on electric vehicles but to me they're soulless modes of transportation. It's not just about getting somewhere, it's enjoying the trip and the vehicle as well.

In theory, I can understand compact vehicles, potentially with some form of alternate power source, for city use. But as stated above, that's not in my wheelhouse and I hope it never is.

Do they replace gas - no and they shouldn't be marketed as that replacement.

I agree, but that is how they're being pushed on the general population, with many buying the story line. I say pushed, but it amounts to "forced" if you look to the not-so-distant future.

I also think there are some other issues not being discussed enough when it comes to EV's...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/ev-thread.64571/page-96#post-1495231

Last edited:
Reactions: Austin O. and Zorba