Every Generation Of Jeep Wrangler, Ranked Worst To Best

I’ll spare everyone, although the article was fine.

1. TJ / LJ
2. YJ
3. JL
4. JK

CJ’s didn’t make the list for some reason. And I assume it is a given that Gladiators are better than all those.

Reactions: BlueC and Rut Row
I’ll spare everyone, although the article was fine.

1. TJ / LJ
2. YJ
3. JL
4. JK

CJ’s didn’t make the list for some reason. And I assume it is a given that Gladiators are better than all those.

I’d put JL ahead of YJ for looks, wheelbase and coil springs, but even so I’d also rank CJ ahead of JL for simplicity.

The article mentions in the intro that Wranglers took over for CJ’s in 1987 where Chrysler rolled out their first version Wrangler YJ.

CJ is the best, 5 for me because it’s so classic, 7 for many because it’s longer and bigger door.

YJ I can’t even look at, witb the rectangle lights, but it was a pretty big jump in technology and especially interior.

TJ is still a Jeep, everything after is an SUV they’re so big.

And I own a JK and had a JKU, just saying the TJ and CJ have similar feels to me, they are Jeeps, ha.

Reactions: hear
The article mentions in the intro that Wranglers took over for CJ’s in 1987 where Chrysler rolled out their first version Wrangler YJ.

CJ is the best, 5 for me because it’s so classic, 7 for many because it’s longer and bigger door.

YJ I can’t even look at, witb the rectangle lights, but it was a pretty big jump in technology and especially interior.

TJ is still a Jeep, everything after is an SUV they’re so big.

And I own a JK and had a JKU, just saying the TJ and CJ have similar feels to me, they are Jeeps, ha.

The 1987 YJ was all AMC, not Chrysler. This is a terrible article.

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket and Danarch
AMC developed the YJ. Chrysler just acquired it.

Never owned one, never liked the square lights, so never cared very much. But that’s good information, I see AMC designed it 1984-86 , 87 rollout and 88 Chrysler bought it and made a bunch of changes.

Reactions: jjvw
There's a link on that article ( https://www.slashgear.com/1489902/what-made-jeep-4-0l-engine-so-great/) That's pretty interesting reading. Among other things it states:

"From the 1987 through 2006 model years, the stalwart of the Jeep engine lineup was the 4.0 liter (242 cubic inches) straight six-cylinder. This powerplant often lands on lists of the auto industry's most dependable motors, including SlashGear's rundown of the most reliable inline six-cylinder engines ever.

"The 4.0's popularity is largely due to its famed reliability. These motors can be expected to deliver more than 200,000 miles of dependable operation with regular maintenance, and one Cherokee owner logged 500,000 miles on his Jeep's original 4.0-liter engine.

These engines run so long without issues because of the simple internal design. The 4.0 doesn't have an overhead camshaft like many other engines; instead, it uses a system of hydraulic lifters, rods, and rockers to operate the valve system. The 4.0 was also one of the first I6 engines to feature multi-port fuel injection, a system developed by Renault and Bendix. 4.0-liter engines with this system are often referred to as "Renix" engines. In their long-term review of the 1997 Cherokee, Motor Trend said of the 4.0 I6, "Much love is expressed by owners for the torquey 4.0-liter/190-horsepower inline-six. This long-lived OHV powerplant has a reputation for getting people where they need to go, whether it be through a blizzard or ascending a craggy mountainside."

Had cjs, YJ and TJs -

Drove my LJ to look at CJ for a guy….felt like I dove home in a Cadillac.

Not bashing. The CJ’s were my introduction to the joy of Jeeps and will always hold a special place.

Last edited:
Anyone ranking a YJ above either the JK or the JL is brain damaged or has never driven both platforms.

I've driven a JK and a CJ5 (similar enough to a YJ suspension). I'll take the CJ5 (or a YJ) any day over the great fat plastic-and-electronics SUV-not-a-Jeep JK/JL. Evidently I'm brain damaged. o_O