Exogate tailgate prop

Looking at the picture does it interfere with the grease fitting aka zerk fitting?

🍻
There's no interference with the zerk fitting, and no interference with anything that might be mounted to the hinge either. I tested with some production accessories, in these photos the top hinge mount for a HiLift is installed. The Rotopax mount is in the background, I tested it before I did the Hilift. Nothing anyone is currently doing with their Exogate should cause any problems for installing and using this prop.

RotopaxAndHiLift_zps5l9e51ne.jpg

HiLift_zpswzgb8zzf.jpg

I ordered stainless rod for making final prototypes for real world testing, it should arrive Monday and I'll make some final prototypes then.

Reactions: skrelnik and JMT
Elegant solution, hoping to add an Exogate (and this) within the next year.
Thank you very much. My key design goals for this were:
  • Minimalist design - no more hardware (or cost) than necessary
  • Quick bolt-in installation, no drilling
  • Doesn't interfere with anything already on the Jeep
  • Easy to manufacture (easy enough that plans could be posted for DIYers)
Elegant wasn't specifically on my list but since it meets all of the above criteria I'll take it :).

That looks easy enough! If you don’t decide to sell to a manufacture, maybe we could get the spec sheet on here to do it ourselves?
There are several possible paths for this:
  • 1. I try to get MORryde to manufacture it and sell it as an add-on for the Exogate/MORryde tailgate reinforcement.
  • 2. I see if one of the MORryde resellers is interested in making it an exclusive product of their own. Retrofit Offroad, for example.
  • 3. I post drawings and step-by-step instructions so people can make it themselves
The above are mutually exclusive - if 1 or 2 happen, 3 can't. If 3 happens, 1 or 2 can't.

I suppose one other option is possible:
  • 4. Someone volunteers to handle the details of a group buy for the forum; this would involve the person arranging manufacturing and working with forum members for payment and shipping.
4 can happen along with 3, but not with 1 or 2.

If options 1 or 2 are chosen, 3 (or 4) couldn't happen until either MORryde or Retrofit (for example) say they're not interested.

BTW, if you have a hacksaw, a vise, a drill and a hammer you can successfully make this. Maybe a file or two to clean up your cuts. The brackets for the final design can be cut from square aluminum tubing so no bending is required; the prop rod will be stainless steel rod and is easily bent in a vise (with help from the hammer).

@jscherb, what do you think about a notch that holds the tailgate in opening direction. For those times when you don't want the tailgate to swing out all the way...

Would actually love to see the tailgate reinforcement-plate in Aluminum, is this something Morryde would entertain?

@jscherb, what do you think about a notch that holds the tailgate in opening direction. For those times when you don't want the tailgate to swing out all the way...

Would actually love to see the tailgate reinforcement-plate in Aluminum, is this something Morryde would entertain?
It would be easy enough to buy a small section of aluminum online and cut it to size with a jig saw.

If you wanted to build a two-position stop to hold the tailgate halfway open, there is room inside the hinge to do that. I did a photo-edit/drawing for you to show what that would look like:

TwoPosition_zpsgbfr3jz5.jpg

If the goal was to prevent the tailgate from opening further than halfway, you'd have the additional slot go the other direction.

Since increasing the retail price of the product to cover the additional cost of aluminum instead of steel probably wouldn't be a good decision, @BuildBreakRepeat probably has the right idea:

It would be easy enough to buy a small section of aluminum online and cut it to size with a jig saw.

got anything to make mine close easier. I have the exact opposite problem. mine is so hard to open or close and as far as I can see there is no way to grease the hinges

Metal for the final prototype tailgate props arrived today. The brackets get cut from square aluminum tubing and the prop rod gets made from 3/16" stainless rod. I've got enough material to make a bunch for testing.

Materials_zpsowq8c0hu.jpg

I'll make one and install it on my LJ tomorrow morning; photos and videos of it in operation on the Jeep to come. Stay tuned.

got anything to make mine close easier. I have the exact opposite problem. mine is so hard to open or close and as far as I can see there is no way to grease the hinges

The inside of the hinge is corroded. Take a small drill bit and drill into the “barrel” part of the hinge. Then spray some lubricant or penetrating oil in there and work the door back and forth until it closes smoothly. Cover the hole with dialectic grease. I did this 4-5 years ago and my tailgate still closes like new.

FAD9D0BC-DBDE-4184-B1FF-6D300EF40F1F.png

A final prototype "MORryde tailgate hinge prop" - I'll call it that because it works on any MORryde tailgate reinforcement, v2 Exogate, and with MORryde the HD TJ tailgate hinges without the reinforcement installed. It consists of 3 pretty simple parts.

The brackets were cut from the 1"-square aluminum tubing and the prop rod was bent from 3/16" stainless rod.

ExogatePropParts_zpsbxvyeobb.jpg

Installed in a hinge:

ExogatePropProto2Deployed_zpsxexur11t.jpg

ExogatePropProto2Stowed_zpsszjnayl8.jpg

Time to install it on the LJ; stay tuned for more photos and videos.

Tailgate prop installed in a hinge on the Jeep.

TailgatePropTestInstall_zpsx7fqzico.jpg

In case you're wondering, the wire in the photo powers the rear window wiper in my barn door.

I've got a bunch of Exogate accessories installed to add some weight for the test and to verify that the prop doesn't interfere with the installation of anything. Installed are: Hinge mount CB antenna and Rotopax carrier, Exogate bicycle carrier, spare mount HiLift carrier.

TailgatePropTestSetup_zpss2pxmmhr.jpg

I moved the Jeep to the side of the driveway so the angle prevents the tailgate from staying open and shot this video.

The prop works well. The install test did reveal a small change that would be good to make to the brackets and there is a slight bit of flex in the 3/16" prop rod, so probably I'll upgrade that to 1/4". I'll make a new set of parts with those changes for further testing.