Explorer Fan Blade

Deputy Dodge

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone used the explorer 11 blade fan (Dorman 620-155) with a Hayden 4- bolt fan clutch (2737)? The hole in the blade doesn't quite fit over the flange and before I start clearancimg it, I thought I should see if it would work in case I have to return it. It will be going on a 99 4.0 with AC, which was the reason for wanting an upgrade.

I have the Ford fan on my TJ. Mine is a 2005. I have the Hayden 2794 clutch. Worked perfectly and pulls a lot of air.

Not sure if that's relevant to your 1999 or not.

The 2005 has the one big nut holding the clutch to the water pump. It fits right through the hole on the blade.

Yes mine is like that. Guess the earlier ones were different. As long as it bolts to the clutch, it should work to enlarge the center hole. It doesn't use the center hole to determine proper alignment. I really like the fan blade. Pulls a lot of air and runs smooth.

Reactions: MichaelGH
Yes mine is like that. Guess the earlier ones were different. As long as it bolts to the clutch, it should work to enlarge the center hole. It doesn't use the center hole to determine proper alignment. I really like the fan blade. Pulls a lot of air and runs smooth.

How much more air does it pull compared to the stock fan?

• Love
Reactions: Zorba
How much more air does it pull compared to the stock fan?

26k posts? You must be new here. :p

Has to be less* air moved than stock. Reason being is that despite quite literally everything on these jeeps being upgradeable, the cooling system and the cooling system alone is actually the very pinnacle of engineering. The fan size, number of blades, angle of blades, the oddball spacing of that one blade, even the paint color...all selected as such because literally every configuration was tested and what we have on our jeeps represents the complete and total optimization of the thermodynamic system, full stop.

You know, or like, whatever and stuff.

* or more, depending on if we later determine that moving more air decreases cooling.

Has to be less* air moved than stock. Reason being is that despite quite literally everything on these jeeps being upgradeable, the cooling system and the cooling system alone is actually the very pinnacle of engineering. The fan size, number of blades, angle of blades, the oddball spacing of that one blade, even the paint color...all selected as such because literally every configuration was tested and what we have on our jeeps represents the complete and total optimization of the thermodynamic system, full stop.

* or more, depending on if we later determine that moving more air decreases cooling.

There was a guy who got very scientific about this, and performed air flow measurements between a couple or three different fans on his Jeep. His conclusion was that the crazy lop eared 5 blade fan was as good as anything, and better than most. I should have bookmarked his page.

I'm fully aware he has no idea if this fan is really better or worse than the one he replaced. 🤫

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear

This much!
speech-gesture-size.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: CMBD
My experience cant be an anomaly so I have to ask, what does the Ford fan do better than stock?

My TJ spends time in places that can reach 115°+ ambient and have 40° air coming out the center vents idling in traffic.

Stock fan and newish Duralast Gold fan clutch.