Facebook: Hey Can We Pretty Please Maybe Have Lots of Your Banking Information Too?

Yeah that is pretty much BS. People are getting way to integrated. It has always scared me. I don't even log into shit that makes me have a facebook login. I don't have a facebook account because they kicked me a few years back because I was using a screen name and they forbid it so they kicked me. It is social media not the government.

Pretty soon you will probably need a facebook account to renew your passport. Or they will figure you wont need a passport because they have all of your info on facebook. They are nuts! But for some reason people flock to it like sheep. Not me brother.

Pretty soon you will probably need a facebook account to renew your passport. Or they will figure you wont need a passport because they have all of your info on facebook. They are nuts! But for some reason people flock to it like sheep. Not me brother.

I saw a few months back in the news that some bigwig was pushing this idea, that maybe in the future your Facebook would be your credentials and act as a passport, identification, etc.

Yeah right, you can count me out of that future.

I’m with you on the Facebook logins as well. If a site requires a Facebook login to register, I immediately click out of it.

Also, Facebook booted me for the same reason believe it or not, that I was using a screename instead of my real name.

I saw a few months back in the news that some bigwig was pushing this idea, that maybe in the future your Facebook would be your credentials and act as a passport, identification, etc.

Yeah right, you can count me out of that future.

I’m with you on the Facebook logins as well. If a site requires a Facebook login to register, I immediately click out of it.

Also, Facebook booted me for the same reason believe it or not, that I was using a screename instead of my real name.

You guys already know too much about me on this forum.

I don't know what this means but my work partnered up with a company that does DNA testing and we are an video streaming company. I don't know what "partnered up" means, but now my work is urging us to do the DNA testing. I already know that Genghis Khan is my grandfather, so I have no interest in doing my DNA, nor do I want some online company having that information. Call me suspicious.

Sometimes I wonder why I am the only one that worries about all of my info out on the net? So many people do it with no worries, but I am really reserved when it comes to the cloud.

You guys already know too much about me on this forum.

I don't know what this means but my work partnered up with a company that does DNA testing and we are an video streaming company. I don't know what "partnered up" means, but now my work is urging us to do the DNA testing. I already know that Genghis Khan is my grandfather, so I have no interest in doing my DNA, nor do I want some online company having that information. Call me suspicious.

Sometimes I wonder why I am the only one that worries about all of my info out on the net? So many people do it with no worries, but I am really reserved when it comes to the cloud.

I was surprised when the big Facebook privacy breach was exposed a few months ago. I was expecting backlash from everyone, but it didn’t happen. In fact, everyone I know with a Facebook told me that they weren’t concerned and that stuff like this happens all the time.

It’s honestly as if the masses just shrugged it off like it was no big deal. Really? Because you want every personal detail of your life just floating around? Especially with a company (Facebook) that makes its money off selling your information!

I was surprised when the big Facebook privacy breach was exposed a few months ago. I was expecting backlash from everyone, but it didn’t happen. In fact, everyone I know with a Facebook told me that they weren’t concerned and that stuff like this happens all the time.

It’s honestly as if the masses just shrugged it off like it was no big deal. Really? Because you want every personal detail of your life just floating around? Especially with a company (Facebook) that makes its money off selling your information!
See that is exactly it. I didn't worry about it because they have absolutely no information on me, other than if someone took a picture of me and posted it somewhere, but nothing I can do about that, but things like that scare me.

Look at Snowden, He told us unbelievable stuff and had to move to Russia. Illegal wiretaps etc, and there was no stink or backlash. I thought for sure there was going to be something. Now we joke about the CIA listening to our phone calls.

Just know I am not the masses, I don't have a facebook account, and I give out as little info as I can get away with.

Funny story though, One time when I did have a facebook (alias) my boss called in sick then facebooked her day of fun all day on facebook. Not sure why she felt she had to call in sick to play hooky, but people are really stupid with facebook.

See that is exactly it. I didn't worry about it because they have absolutely no information on me, other than if someone took a picture of me and posted it somewhere, but nothing I can do about that, but things like that scare me.

Look at Snowden, He told us unbelievable stuff and had to move to Russia. Illegal wiretaps etc, and there was no stink or backlash. I thought for sure there was going to be something. Now we joke about the CIA listening to our phone calls.

Just know I am not the masses, I don't have a facebook account, and I give out as little info as I can get away with.

Funny story though, One time when I did have a facebook (alias) my boss called in sick then facebooked her day of fun all day on facebook. Not sure why she felt she had to call in sick to play hooky, but people are really stupid with facebook.

Yep, Facebook and social media is the number one thing employers look at these days. I did some contract work for a guy who was the manager of this company. He had me in his office and while I was in there he was reviewing resumes of applicants. I was laughing out loud because he was blatantly Googling these people and then going through all their social media accounts. He told me he does this for all his applicants because it gives him a good idea of whether or not they’ll be a good employee.

I also know a number of people who have gotten themselves fired due to things they said or posted on social media.

Hell, we all know a number or celebrities that have gotten themselves blacklisted from Hollywood due to things they’ve said on social media!

I’m telling you man, if I was anyone of notoriety, I would NOT participate in social media at all... not that I do anyways.

Yep, Facebook and social media is the number one thing employers look at these days. I did some contract work for a guy who was the manager of this company. He had me in his office and while I was in there he was reviewing resumes of applicants. I was laughing out loud because he was blatantly Googling these people and then going through all their social media accounts. He told me he does this for all his applicants because it gives him a good idea of whether or not they’ll be a good employee.

I also know a number of people who have gotten themselves fired due to things they said or posted on social media.

Hell, we all know a number or celebrities that have gotten themselves blacklisted from Hollywood due to things they’ve said on social media!

I’m telling you man, if I was anyone of notoriety, I would NOT participate in social media at all... not that I do anyways.

That makes me wonder what he would think of me as an employee, if he can't find anything out there with my name on it. I wonder if he would think it was a bad thing that I am not on social media, or if he wouldn't hire me because there is no way for him to judge me.

That makes me wonder what he would think of me as an employee, if he can't find anything out there with my name on it. I wonder if he would think it was a bad thing that I am not on social media, or if he wouldn't hire me because there is no way for him to judge me.

That could go both ways. On one hand, you don't feel the need to openly share everything with the world. On the other hand, maybe you're hiding something.

Reactions: ac_
I am fine with that really. That way they can only speculate and cannot really judge me off of something superficial. What if I was a chevy guy and the boss I was trying to get a job at was a Ford guy? Do you think I might get discriminated against? I don't know, I would rather he be surprised after I got the job. Because really I am a Jeep guy lol

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I am fine with that really. That way they can only speculate and cannot really judge me off of something superficial. What if I was a chevy guy and the boss I was trying to get a job at was a Ford guy? Do you think I might get discriminated against? I don't know, I would rather he be surprised after I got the job. Because really I am a Jeep guy lol

Oh, I'm with you 100%. I'd rather be private than public, that's for sure.

People share way too much information about themselves on social media, and it's very concerning. I know people who will literally update their status when they're taking a shit.

Oh, I'm with you 100%. I'd rather be private than public, that's for sure.

People share way too much information about themselves on social media, and it's very concerning. I know people who will literally update their status when they're taking a shit.
Haha gross!

Reactions: Chris
Ridiculous!

But what gets me is people think I am some sort of tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theory guy when I tell them that any voice activated device, weather it be your cell phone, smart TV, and those stupid godforsaken amazon/google home devices listen to your conversations and based on keywords sell that information to 3rd party marketing companies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/wor...-familys-conversation-and-sends-it-to-one-of/

I've mentioned this at work before and had co-workers confirm that based on conversations they had with people, in the presence of their cell phones, started noticing targeted ad's on facebook/google ads that related directly to the conversations they had. Coincidence (??) I think not!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Ridiculous!

But what gets me is people think I am some sort of tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theory guy when I tell them that any voice activated device, weather it be your cell phone, smart TV, and those stupid godforsaken amazon/google home devices listen to your conversations and based on keywords sell that information to 3rd party marketing companies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/wor...-familys-conversation-and-sends-it-to-one-of/

I've mentioned this at work before and had co-workers confirm that based on conversations they had with people, in the presence of their cell phones, started noticing targeted ad's on facebook/google ads that related directly to the conversations they had. Coincidence (??) I think not!

Technically a good enough hacker could even exploit your cell phone to listen to you and record your conversations.

I’m not a fan of those home assistant devices. I really do wonder if those things listen in. I personally wouldn’t be surprised if they do. There would be no way for the average person to know.

Technically a good enough hacker could even exploit your cell phone to listen to you and record your conversations.

I’m not a fan of those home assistant devices. I really do wonder if those things listen in. I personally wouldn’t be surprised if they do. There would be no way for the average person to know.
I bet we could find an IP for the "Alexa" and wireshark or tcdump the traffic, but that is only if it is not encrypted, but as a type this I bet it is. I bet they were smart enough to send themselves encrypted packets. Probably look normal to us.

I have a raspberry pi that uses an app I created to open and shut my garage door, I was going to write a skill that worked with Alexa but thinking about it decided it was probably not a good idea. For the reasons stated above. Technology can be really cool, but it can be very dangerous too.

I bet we could find an IP for the "Alexa" and wireshark or tcdump the traffic, but that is only if it is not encrypted, but as a type this I bet it is. I bet they were smart enough to send themselves encrypted packets. Probably look normal to us.

I have a raspberry pi that uses an app I created to open and shut my garage door, I was going to write a skill that worked with Alexa but thinking about it decided it was probably not a good idea. For the reasons stated above. Technology can be really cool, but it can be very dangerous too.

I'm sure that Amazon has that thing locked down tighter than Fort Knox, likely because they don't want anyone to exploit any vulnerabilities (or uncover any secrets).

We'll see, it has voice activation and if someone truly is listening or can, It won't be long before that gets exploited. That is all I need is someone to have a voice command to open my garage door.

Reactions: Chris
We'll see, it has voice activation and if someone truly is listening or can, It won't be long before that gets exploited. That is all I need is someone to have a voice command to open my garage door.

I agree. I’m very weary of making my home into a “smart home”. Truth be told, I’m happy with it just the way it is.

Facebook was bad enough for me to delete my account back when it was just people I didn't like from High School and religious zealot relatives trying to friend me. All this crap about the shady shit Facebook has been doing with people's data has just made me feel better about that decision.

I love cool gadgets, but I've started actively avoiding some technology as I've gotten older, such as Alexa. I'd be avoiding Siri too, but I've gotten too reliant on sending text messages via voice and just asking when the next Wild hockey game is schedule instead of actually looking anywhere for that info.