Facebook: Hey Can We Pretty Please Maybe Have Lots of Your Banking Information Too?

The thing about Facebook, Alexa, and other similar services is that we still tend to think of ourselves as the customers, but the truth is that we're more the product since the data we provide is pure gold to these companies.

Marketing has become a huuuge part of industry and companies know more about us than ever. Politicians are learning the value of this as well and while a lot of people have talked about the role that targeted ads played in past elections, this will only become more and more prominent in the future.

Because a simple fact remains about humanity: We're more likely to listen to narratives that fit our current conceptions of reality. Surrounding consumers (us) in messages that make us comfortable is the best way for advertisers to get through to us and make money or influence us to do what they want (politics).

Information may be more abundant than ever, but privacy, truth, and critical thinking have a very steep uphill battle in the future.

Good to know!

Truth be told wifee has an alexa, and really all it is is an expensive egg timer, and a quick jeopardy game now and again. We don't use it for anything really useful.

I agree. The kids have one and it entertains the hell out of them (which we are okay with), but I don’t see what the hype is. It’s nothing really special.

Reactions: ac_
I agree. The kids have one and it entertains the hell out of them (which we are okay with), but I don’t see what the hype is. It’s nothing really special.
Oh, that's gotta be fun for kids. Hell, I remember just how I could amuse myself for hours with a tape recorder by making weird sounds and playing them back. Having an AI to talk to, listen to jokes from, and just experiment around with is probably a blast for them. =)

Reactions: ac_
Oh, that's gotta be fun for kids. Hell, I remember just how I could amuse myself for hours with a tape recorder by making weird sounds and playing them back. Having an AI to talk to, listen to jokes from, and just experiment around with is probably a blast for them. =)

Oh yeah, you should hear the stupid things they ask Alexa. Anytime they have a question I don't know the answer to, I tell them to go ask Alexa. They're also constantly telling it to play music for them.

It's hours of amusement for them, so I'm fine with that!

Reactions: Equilibrium31