Fender flare paint job turning to sh*t

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Well my flares paint job has turned to shit.

Originally i tried forever black on them. That failed. So i stripped them down with dawn and grey autobody scotchbrite pads. Then acetone. Then sem adhesion promoter. And several coats of sem trim black. Followed directions on cans to a T.

Now the paint is flaking off. I think it must be the forever black. I think i am going to ditch these flares.

Should i buy used and repaint again or buy new flares? Are there new OEM flares available?

(Trying to post pics. Which i do frequently. Now saying image to big. Even after resizing to 7mb.)

Had to do screenshots:

Screenshot_20210608-113902_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-113856_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-113849_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-113842_Gallery.jpg

Having painted multiple sets of flares, it's not worth the hassle. No matter what you do, they will get scratched and require repainting. A new replacement set is around $160. Only you can decide which is best for you!

I used Rust-oleum spray on bed liner for mine (as well as my hard top). I washed and used acetone, but didn't sand them. So far no issues with chips or scratches, plus I like the look.

This is how far i sanded them down. They were black to start with. This was after prep and coats of sem adhesion promoter. Im just going to buy new ones.

20190701_170435.jpg

Reactions: harbiison
Having painted multiple sets of flares, it's not worth the hassle. No matter what you do, they will get scratched and require repainting. A new replacement set is around $160. Only you can decide which is best for you!
Is $160 for oem? Gotta link? Or part number?

I don't think you will find any oem (Mopar) flares still available.
Crown and Omix are replacements for oem.
Also, neither of those make the wider Rubicon / Sahara size.

Reactions: harbiison
I don't think you will find any oem (Mopar) flares still available.
Crown and Omix are replacements for oem.
Also, neither of those make the wider Rubicon / Sahara size.
Agree on the mopar flares. Im hearing that used is better than omix or crown tho.

How long ago? I repainted with SEM about 10 months ago - no complaints yet.
About that long maybe longer. A year? I think these are f'd from the forever black i used. Forever black works on every other vehicles plastic. Except jeep flares. I even contacted the owner of Forever Black on facebook. He stated it should work. But was no help on how toget it off. It even left marks on my body paint. I used it for years on my other vehicles. Its like a dye. And lasts a long time. Years.

• Sad
Reactions: Zorba
The SEM tech rep I talked to said clear is the same a color coat without the color and does not really promote durability.
About all it adds is solar protection. As you can get UV protection in clear. But not in most of their paints. I considered it. As i am in socal. But this flaking is from the forever black id bet.

Be
Well my flares paint job has turned to shit.

Originally i tried forever black on them. That failed. So i stripped them down with dawn and grey autobody scotchbrite pads. Then acetone. Then sem adhesion promoter. And several coats of sem trim black. Followed directions on cans to a T.

Now the paint is flaking off. I think it must be the forever black. I think i am going to ditch these flares.

Should i buy used and repaint again or buy new flares? Are there new OEM flares available?

(Trying to post pics. Which i do frequently. Now saying image to big. Even after resizing to 7mb.)

Had to do screenshots:

View attachment 258099View attachment 258100View attachment 258101View attachment 258102
Been there done that.. feel your pain.. shot with bedliner fine mist and was done with it..
2695C741-66D7-496E-8EF5-62C1743A0717.jpeg

Reactions: Jamison C
Thanks for this post. I once did a thread about a vinyl trim restorer I tried and someone said “oh no , painting is the answer”.

Painting is an option, but my family ran a huge paint and drywall company years ago, 170 guys. You know what my Dad says? Once you paint something, now you’ve started it. You will always have to repaint it.

I have seen some good jobs, and some bed liner type work as well, but if at all possible, I’m staying bare material.

Reactions: matkal and Irun
Thanks for this post. I once did a thread about a vinyl trim restorer I tried and someone said “oh no , painting is the answer”.

Painting is an option, but my family ran a huge paint and drywall company years ago, 170 guys. You know what my Dad says? Once you paint something, now you’ve started it. You will always have to repaint it.

I have seen some good jobs, and some bed liner type work as well, but if at all possible, I’m staying bare material.
This is important. My first thought was to paint any new set i got. To protect the original material from fading. But maybe for 160 bucks its easier and cheaper in the long run to just replace them.

And a decent used set can be had for even less.

Reactions: TheBoogieman