Fender smack down! Tube fenders compared on a real Jeep

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
A long-standing debate on every Jeep forum is how various fenders affect clearance at full articulation. Hopefully today I will answer a few questions.

Intro:

This comparison is on my LJ. There are things about my Jeep that are different. Some of those differences will affect the results while others won't. I'll go over them here quickly so everyone can understand what we're looking at.

(If you want to skim over this section, my Jeep has 37" tires, a 4" lift, and a 2" stretch in the front.)

* I do have a 2" stretch in the front. This will affect results slightly since the tire is positioned away from the rear fender arch, if the tire was in the stock wheelbase position there may be additional interference. Only the OEM fender was negatively affected by the wheelbase since it's cut higher if the tire was 2" rearward (I noted this in the results but I would not take this into account for any real-world comparison.).
* 37" Goodyear MTR tires. These tires are inflated to 25psi. For each test I installed the fender with the axle dropped and raised it until the tire touched the fender.
* Geometry. I have a 3-link front with track bar. This positions the axle slightly different than stock. For this test the axle is under articulation.
* 4" Lift. The Jeep is set up for a 4" lift equivalent over stock. At ride, the frame is at 22" the axle is at 18". The test is set up to simulate a 11" shock with 4"-down/7"-up bias.
* 65" WMS Dana 60 axle. The first point of interference on every single test was the fenders. The wider axle seems to have put some favor in for MetalCloak and the position the tires contact, I'd expect worse for OEM width axles. The last difference here is that the Ford style knuckles may scrub a bit different than TJ 30 knuckles - this only effects the turning tests.
* I left removable/flexible flares and inner-fenders out of the tests since it can be argued they'd either be removed for wheeling or be able to be pushed out of the way.
* To be fair with the alignment of each fender I aligned them flush with the bottom of the tub. It may be possible to cheat a little more height out of some.
* All of these fenders were bought with my own money, no special prices or parts were given to me (and yes, I do wish I could return some for a refund...).

Comparison:

OEM: 4.5+1=5.5" up travel - Does not allow for turning / not tested to allow for turning.

(This fender is slightly bent in the front, it doesn't affect these results.)

Jeep clearly designed this fender to work best with the stock wheelbase. With my stretch I'm able to get 4.5" of up travel, if I was running a stock wheelbase I'd be seeing 5.5" of up travel. With some cutting I'd guess I could be seeing even more.

IMG_20181230_201211.jpg

IMG_20181230_201223.jpg

IMG_20181230_201229.jpg

The issue I could see with cutting and using a flare such as MCE is the area in the arch behind the tire at full lock under full articulation. With 37s it hits before full lock.

IMG_20181230_201609.jpg

MetalCloak Arched: 6" up travel - Does not allow for turning / 5" up travel to allow for turning.

MetalCloak actually surprised me a little here. It is a full 0.5" better than OEM.

IMG_20181230_200129.jpg

IMG_20181230_200151.jpg

IMG_20181230_200156.jpg

(@jjvw you can see in this picture that the hood covers up the dirty area. The clean area is what sticks out past the hood.)

MetalCloak surprised me once again with the turning test and consequently I must say absolutely fails at their own claims of being able to run 37s. Their rear fender arch fails to clear the 37" tire even with the 2" stretch. There is no way this could work with a stock Jeep unless you add massive steering stops, combine that with the massive bumpstop extensions and you end up with a miserable Jeep on and offroad.

IMG_20181230_214931.jpg

IMG_20181230_214937.jpg

MetalCloak claims that these fenders have the clearance of a highline, so let's compare to:

Genright highline with 3" flare: 7" up travel.

The tube hangs down on these and is the effective limit, this seems to be a common trait among all highline fenders.

IMG_20181230_195452.jpg

IMG_20181230_195510.jpg

IMG_20181230_195534.jpg

In the turning test the tire hits the top and the back at the same point, again 7".

IMG_20181230_215416.jpg

Conclusion:

Knowing what to look for when choosing the right fenders for your Jeep is important and the marketing from some companies isn't helping.

Last edited:
If I were to make a defense for Metalcloak, it seems like their claims of clearance gains might be the most accurate somewhere between a 33 and 35" tire, at a size before the back wall becomes an interference. Accurate being a strong word if I take the marketing at its word. At 35" and larger, the gains start to diminish quickly.

If I were to make a defense for Metalcloak, it seems like their claims of clearance gains might be the most accurate somewhere between a 33 and 35" tire, at a size before the back wall becomes an interference. Accurate being a strong word if I take the marketing at its word. At 35" and larger, the gains start to diminish quickly.

The gains do diminish quickly past a 35", however, does a 35" tire have problems turning with the OEM fenders?

The gains do diminish quickly past a 35", however, does a 35" tire have problems turning with the OEM fenders?
That depends on the how far you can get the 35 stuffed. I know people with 35s, a small body lift and about 3" of bump stop who can at least rub the stock bolts on the back wall during a hard stuff and turn. But that is at the outer limits of the travels.

I am interested in this measurement...
f71ddd941e77086887cb831ab421abf4.jpg

... as compared to stock. Is that the 1/2" increase?
ae990dd82568eee08590bdbd82a28e77.jpg

MC fenders are built for flex, which is awesome if you ignore everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
Marginally different. Bottom of the hood for both.
MC brings the outside edge of the flexing tire above the hood, where stock cannot. I'm not wanting to exaggerate that difference like MC does. But it does exist. The reason it is noteworthy is for those with a more suitable (i.e. smaller) tire size who are bump stopped based on the front tire contacting the lip of the outer fender at full flex. That difference equates to some combination of a larger tire or a potential reduction in bump stop. That is where the mystery has been for me on these fender options that bring the flexing tire closer to the uncut hood.

Either way, the marketing claims do not match reality very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
This is all great information, and I don't want to go off on a tangent, but if someone would tell me why all of the aftermarket fenders have holes in them behind the wheel well? What is that for?

Reactions: Starrs
MC brings the outside edge of the flexing tire above the hood, where stock cannot. I'm not wanting to exaggerate that difference like MC does. But it does exist. The reason it is noteworthy is for those with a more suitable (i.e. smaller) tire size who are bump stopped based on the front tire contacting the lip of the outer fender at full flex. That difference equates to some combination of a larger tire or a potential reduction in bump stop. That is where the mystery has been for me on these fender options that bring the flexing tire closer to the uncut hood.

Either way, the marketing claims do not match reality very well.

I see what you're saying. It does exist. But it's minor and requires a special build imho to benefit. I simply can't find that benefit.

This is all great information, and I don't want to go off on a tangent, but if someone would tell me why all of the aftermarket fenders have holes in them behind the wheel well? What is that for?

It's an access panel. It's nice for reaching the bolts that connect the fender to the tub and with tighter builds (like mine) it can allow access to various parts placed on multilevel shelves (such as placing the washer fluid below the battery).

Reactions: fuse and ac_
It's an access panel. It's nice for reaching the bolts that connect the fender to the tub and width tighter build (like mine) it can allow access to various parts placed on multilevel shelves (such as placing the washer fluid below the battery).
Thanks for that, always wondered!

I see what you're saying. It does exist. But it's minor and requires a special build imho to benefit. I simply can't find that benefit.
My build is an example of where the benefits might be. But I have built myself into an unusual corner. The funny thing is that I'm not really asking about Metalcloak fenders. ;)

The detail that surprised me between MC and GR is the cut of the rear wall.

My build is an example of where the benefits might be. But I have built myself into an unusual corner. The funny thing is that I'm not really asking about Metalcloak fenders. ;)

I'll sell you a set real cheap and then you can tell us the gains.

I'll sell you a set real cheap and then you can tell us the gains.
From what I see, the gains aren't big enough to surpass other "qualities". But this does inform other possibilities.

I must wonder why this guy has chosen no fenders at all (?)

He also has what appears to be a tennis ball launcher, for his dog, mounted on the hood (?)

1546264015920.png

• Haha
Reactions: RonnieS