Finding the tipping point?

TJuser

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone know of any good ways to find the tipping point of my jeep?

It's a 1' body lift, 35s, 6 inch lift.

I know it varies depending on when you have in/on the jeep but is there any way to get a pretty good estimate?

Might be a dumb idea but I was thinking of getting an inclometer and strapping it up to the skidsteer or front end loader and using the excavator and tipping it past the tipping point and just recording at what point it actually went over. Might be fun to try😄

Reactions: inkedrose
The tipping point varies depending on too many factors to say it will tip at x degrees. Speed, tire pressure, traction, tire traction, center-of-gravity point, track-width, wheel width, if you're also turning and which direction are you turning, etc. I'd also say 6" of suspension lift is more than is needed for 35" tires and unnecessarily raises your COG (center of gravity) making it more prone to tip than would be with a slightly lower suspension lift height.

This is mine with nothing more than a 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift with 35's. That suspension lift and body lift combination also gives a lower COG than you'd have with a 5" suspension lift and no body lift and way less than if it had a 6" suspension lift.

DSC_0014 cropped. jpg.jpg

The tipping point varies depending on too many factors to say it will tip at x degrees. Speed, tire pressure, traction, if you're also turning and which direction are you turning, etc. I'd also say 6" of suspension lift is more than is needed for 35" tires and unnecessarily raises your COG (center of gravity) making it more prone to tip than would be with a slightly lower suspension lift height.

This is mine with nothing more than a 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift with 35's. That suspension lift and body lift combination also gives a lower COG than you'd have with a 5" suspension lift and no body lift.

View attachment 487352

The lift on it is definitely higher than it really needs to be. I bought it built and I've slowly been working through it to get everything looking and working good

I was just thinking if there was some way to determine an angle to probably not push past to stop it from going flop. I know that sometimes angles feel worse than they are when you're inside the vehicle.

Being the moron I am, I'll still probably strap it up and tip it for fun...if I do ill post a video on here 😄

You could measure it as you have described, and that would be a fun thing to do. But at the end if the day the measurement will mean nothing. You could be on the trail, 10 degrees on the safe side of your roll measurement - and roll right over. As Jerry said above, it is more about the specific situation.

A better way to know your tipping point is to get out and wheel it. Push the rig and pay close attention. That is the best way to learn the rigs capabilities and limitations.

I’ve rolled my rig over backwards - so I’m talking from experience (Or, ahhh, lack thereof…😬)

The lift on it is definitely higher than it really needs to be. I bought it built and I've slowly been working through it to get everything looking and working good

I was just thinking if there was some way to determine an angle to probably not push past to stop it from going flop. I know that sometimes angles feel worse than they are when you're inside the vehicle.
When you're new to offroading angles can and often will make you feel like you're close to tipping when you may not be even close to that point. My wife was riding with me on my then-new '97 TJ's first 4x4 trip. We were on a dirt road in 2wd and entered a section of the road that had a very (!) slight sideways slope to it. No exaggeration, she started screaming and crying while yelling at me that we were going to roll over. I stopped the Jeep immediately and helped her out to walk behind it and look so she could see we were barely at a minor insignificant angle where she settled down to figure out we really weren't even close to rolling over. Less than the slope of a freeway offramp.

The more one gets used to being offroad, the less one worries about the angle... to a point that is.

This is one time when I was really at an angle with 4" plus 1" body lift with 35's in my previous TJ but it still didn't flop onto its side, I was able to drive out of it.
fcc16cc3cropped.jpg

And the guy (Jon) in the blue TJ didn't tip either.

Jon in Johnson Valley.JPG

You could measure it as you have described, and that would be a fun thing to do. But at the end if the day the measurement will mean nothing. You could be on the trail, 10 degrees on the safe side of your roll measurement - and roll right over. As Jerry said above, it is more about the specific situation.

A better way to know your tipping point is to get out and wheel it. Push the rig and pay close attention. That is the best way to learn the rigs capabilities and limitations.

I’ve rolled my rig over backwards - so I’m talking from experience (Or, ahhh, lack thereof…😬)
Yes, just a rough estimate. I know you can never really replicate something artificially when it comes to properly offroading just because of the variations.

What made me make this post was I was out wheeling and just hitting a quad trail. Was going up a pretty steep hill kind of diagonally and started getting one wheel lifting up on me and I crapped myself. The hill wasn't super steep but I had slipped into a rut so I was wondering if I was really that close to rolling

When you're new to offroading angles can and often will make you feel like you're close to tipping when you may not be even close to that angle. My wife was riding with me on my then-new '97 TJ's first 4x4 trip. We were on a dirt road in 2wd and entered a section of the road that had a very (!) slight sideways slope to it. No exaggeration, she started screaming and crying while yelling at me that we were going to roll over. I stopped the Jeep immediately and helped her out to walk behind it and look so she could see we were barely at a minor insignificant angle where she settled down to figure out we really weren't even close to rolling over. Less than the slope of a freeway offramp.

The more one gets used to being offroad, the less one worries about the angle... to a point that is.

This is one time when I was really at an angle with 4" plus 1" body lift with 35's in my previous TJ but it still didn't flop onto its side, I was able to drive out of it. And the guy in the blue TJ didn't tip either.
View attachment 487398

View attachment 487404

It's pretty wild how big of an angle it feels when realistically you aren't very close to tipping. I replied to Nashvilles post and was saying about going up a hill diagonally and having the one wheel lift off. Definitely does take some getting used to the angles, but those pictures you put on are crazy. And to think a lot of people worry about their vehicle rolling just going around a corner😄

Sadly, you see that a lot. Or people will try to use their body to stop a rolling vehicle before it hits a wall or something else. I guess that keeps the scuff down. :rolleyes:
I was thinking of a video I saw the other day. Think it was a little suzuki or something. Buddy came hauling ass down the hill, front bumper hit a rut and the thing went arse over teakettle. Halfway up and over, he stick his hand out the sunroof as if he's going to save it from hitting the ground real hard

It amazes me at the amount of people that attempt to stop rolling vehicles by putting themselves between the vehicle and a solid object