First Jeep, finally....

Like the look off that height. How is the handling? Any noticeable sterring wobble? I have heard horror stories about the dreaded Jeep death wobble.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No steering wobble at all. Lift height shouldn't affect handling adversely at all. If you had a lift and it handled bad, that's probably due to worn suspension / driveline components which would be made more extreme by the lift, or an improper lift install such as the very common mistake of installing a drop pitman arm.

A proper lift like this one will handle better than stock and have no steering wobble whatsoever.

I’m not y’all either, and I can tell you now that 33’s on my 2.5 SL and 1.25 BL is enough of a challenge. I have no step on the driver side right now, but kept the one on the passenger side for my wife! LOL
I bought the wife one of those folding steps at the RV store to use for the truck. She tied a rope to it so she could drag it in behind her. Works pretty good.

No steering wobble at all. Lift height shouldn't affect handling adversely at all. If you had a lift and it handled bad, that's probably due to worn suspension / driveline components which would be made more extreme by the lift, or an improper lift install such as the very common mistake of installing a drop pitman arm.

A proper lift like this one will handle better than stock and have no steering wobble whatsoever.
How was the install? I like to think I am as mechanically inclined as most. I have access to a two post lift and have more than my fair share of tools.

Reactions: JMT
How was the install? I like to think I am as mechanically inclined as most. I have access to a two post lift and have more than my fair share of tools.

I'm a very good DIY mechanic, so it was easy as can be for me. If you have a lift, basic tools and a day, you can do it yourself.

I'm a very good DIY mechanic, so it was easy as can be for me. If you have a lift, basic tools and a day, you can do it yourself.
Awesome, that will have to be put on my to do list. Anything else you would recommend checking in to while i am under there? The frame looks very good for the year model. But as expected for a 2001 it has some minor surface rust. Any experience with that por15 I believe is what it is called. Was thinking of doing some pm and that was on the list.

Awesome, that will have to be put on my to do list. Anything else you would recommend checking in to while i am under there? The frame looks very good for the year model. But as expected for a 2001 it has some minor surface rust. Any experience with that por15 I believe is what it is called. Was thinking of doing some pm and that was on the list.

I'd check the ball joints, tie rod ends, u-joints, and other bushings. If you have no knowledge of them being down, I can tell you that on a vehicle that is almost 16 years old probably needs a refresh of all those parts.

As far as rust goes, get rid of it first with something like POR15, then use an undercoat protectant such as Fluid Film to prevent rust from ever happening again. That's what a lot of us do, including myself.

I’m not y’all either, and I can tell you now that 33’s on my 2.5 SL and 1.25 BL is enough of a challenge. I have no step on the driver side right now, but kept the one on the passenger side for my wife! LOL
I took mine off both sides....no wife or ladyfriend..but boy did I get it when my mum came up to stay and wanted to go for a ride in my jeep...we had to carry a small step ladder around in the boot for her hehe...( Life lesson number 1...you have to keep ya 4ft 9in mum happy :D )

Reactions: Squatch and JMT
I took mine off both sides....no wife or ladyfriend..but boy did I get it when my mum came up to stay and wanted to go for a ride in my jeep...we had to carry a small step ladder around in the boot for her hehe...( Life lesson number 1...you have to keep ya 4ft 9in mum happy :D )
If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy, lol

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I got DW after my suspension lift and motor mount lift, but I don’t attribute it to either. They may have exacerbated underlying problems. When I got a new front adjustable trackbar and did the ZJ Tie Rod Conversion, DW went away. It’s always something in your front end and could be as simple as less than perfect tire balance. But it’s not a suspension lift!

Reactions: Bird
If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy, lol

Amen to that .....she doing very well for a 74 year old though...loves the Jeep doorless and topless. and waves to EVERYONE regardless of whether there in a Jeep or not haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch and Chris
New Jeeper here, always wanted one. Found this one on Craigslist. Not sure where to go next. I have been enjoying the forum for the last couple days and thought i would chime in. Excuse the pic, got a new phon e and somehow changed it. View attachment 28480

Welcome to the forum where no question is to stupid. Best of luck with your new rig.

Reactions: Chris