First time buyer in the market for a TJ (need help)

Mora

TJ Enthusiast
Okay, I'm looking to become a new TJ owner but am having such a hard time picking. Here is California, Jeeps are pretty expensive and a lot of them already have things done to them. Only problem I fear is that if I buy a stockish TJ, will I end up spending more in mods rather than buying a TJ with things already done to it.

https://www.lithiasubarureno.com/us...-Reno-NV-fc7f7e860a0e0adf65b8851db5f6c907.htm
(With the one above, I contacted the dealer, (who is in NV), and they said that there are issues that need to be addressed before purchasing the jeep such as an issue with the windshield and such. They would have to fix these, but they need a definite buyer first. The price still stays the same. The person I talked to didn't know what else that needed to be fixed for certain. The car as 85k miles and has only had one owner. Not many things have been done to it, so with that, I am actually able to make it my own.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/mira-loma-1999-jeep-wrangler/7146469986.html
This TJ on the other hand has 86k miles and has had 2+ owners. The owner wasn't too sure about how many previous owners there were. This already has all modifications done to it and the gentleman said that the price was negotiable. Also, I love the color of this TJ. One of my favorites.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/d/redwood-city-2002-jeep-wrangler-2dr/7149491573.html
I haven't searched much into this TJ but know that its 14k with 88k miles. Not much of a description has been listed with this one. I would have to contact the seller.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...oTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest
And lastly, there is this TJ. Super low miles at a decent price. Not many photos were listed so I would for sure have to see it in person.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/orange-jeep-wrangler-tj-sport/7143184828.html
I'll throw this one in for fun. A bit out of my price range but tell me what you guys think about it and if it would be something that I should invest in to.

All in all, I want to make sure I make the correct purchase. I will be asking each of these sellers if I could do a pre-buy inspection and take it into their local dealer to make sure there are no problems. While yes, Jeeps require maintenance, I do not want to make a wrong decision and end up buying a jeep that I'll eventually have to spend piles of money in to. That's what happened to my last vehicle and it was a pain. Ended up buying it for 6k, I had put 7k into it in a 2-year timespan. This Jeep will be my DD. I am new to the whole Jeep scene and want to start getting into more offroading/camping and having a Jeep it makes it much easier!

Datapoint: I paid $9995 for my '06 TJ "X" with 128K miles, hard top, manual trans, no mods whatsoever. This was 2 months ago in Florida.

Only problem I fear is that if I buy a stockish TJ, will I end up spending more in mods rather than buying a TJ with things already done to it.

All I'll say to this is that buying an already modified TJ should cost less than buying a stock TJ for two reasons.

1) The closer to stock they still are, the less they were used off road.

2) Too often modifying is done wrong and/or with junk parts (even when new).

Both of those reasons will end up costing more to fix what's broke.

All I'll say to this is that buying an already modified TJ should cost less than buying a stock TJ for two reasons.

1) The closer to stock they still are, the less they were used off road.

2) Too often modifying is done wrong and/or with junk parts (even when new).

Both of those reasons will end up costing more to fix what's broke.

Do you think it would be better to get a close to stock TJ so I know it wasn’t abused from previous owners and I can ensure that the parts I put into it are quality?

Do you think it would be better to get a close to stock TJ so I know it wasn’t abused from previous owners and I can ensure that the parts I put into it are quality?

Yes, but I admit that I didn't have that as my original plan. I'm so happy that the TJ I ended up with had only one modification, wide aftermarket 17" tires and wheels but even with just those I ended up spending another $1200 to get better off road tires and stock wheels and fix problems driving on the road.

Datapoint: I paid $9995 for my '06 TJ "X" with 128K miles, hard top, manual trans, no mods whatsoever. This was 2 months ago in Florida.

Mine was $12,900(I also bought new rubber for an additional $750) for a 05 Rubicon (dual top) with 74K miles and in pristine condition(only thing I can find is the defroster vent trim is missing the grid). Bought it in early April. The dealership was asking $16,250. They hadn't seen a buyer in 3 weeks and were "ready to deal" (quote when I called).

Reactions: Jamison C and Zorba
Mine was $12,900(I also bought new rubber for an additional $750) for a 05 Rubicon (dual top) with 74K miles and in pristine condition(only thing I can find is the defroster vent trim is missing the grid). Bought it in early April. The dealership was asking $16,250. They hadn't seen a buyer in 3 weeks and were "ready to deal" (quote when I called).
You STOLE that Rubicon! (y)

Reactions: Rooscooter
You STOLE that Rubicon! (y)

Yeah.... makes up for the CJ7 I bought back in the day for a premium and I was an idiot not to check it throughly for rust....

I had been looking at one in Colorado that had fewer miles on it and appeared to be in about the same condition that was going for $16,500 when this once showed up locally. The smaller dealership was seriously hurting. I brokered the new rubber through them at about $100 more than it would have cost me elsewhere to help seal the deal.

Reactions: Zorba

In April two years ago my Rubicon was in very good condition with 64,000 miles, never had a hardtop and had the wheels and tires I already mentioned.

I thought I did pretty good getting that used Jeep dealer down to $17,000. At least I got about $1000 more than I should have for my trade in.

In April two years ago my Rubicon was in very good condition with 64,000 miles, never had a hardtop and had the wheels and tires I already mentioned.

I thought I did pretty good getting that used Jeep dealer down to $17,000. At least I got about $1000 more than I should have for my trade in.
A used "Jeep" dealer vs a used car dealer may be the difference here. I actually avoided the shops that flip Jeeps as they are always the most expensive. I was looking for a stock one to start from.

I will say that in my searches between December and April I only say a handful of Rubicons over 18K. A couple were ridiculously overpriced in the mid 20's.

I was lucky for sure. They needed to move a vehicle and I had cash in hand. I've been on the other end of those deals a couple time so I'm just getting back to even :cool:

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
You can save a lot buying a modified Jeep but you have to know exactly what you want, be able to distinguish good from bad mods, and be patient. It is super easy to see a Jeep that looks cool and fall in love only to find it has been cobbled together. My LJ had easily 4 - 5k in mods that I had in my build plan. I walked away from several Jeeps that had more mods for less money but were not quality parts. That doesn’t mean I haven’t changed a couple things but even then I was able to easily sell anything I’ve taken off.

Reactions: Jamison C
Better to get a stock one simply to avoid inheriting any modification headaches.

Then run trails, camp, and explore with it for a bit.

You might not need any serious mods at all.

If your gonna primitive camp in the boonies .. 31 inch all terrains and a front locker will get you very far. $1300 or so.

Add a 2 in lift for another $1k... and your modding can end. (Just dont get jeep fever.. otherwise you'll end up broke)

The 2nd jeep you posted looked decently built... but you would need more details on it.

Also... check for rust on the frame.

Better to get a stock one simply to avoid inheriting any modification headaches.

Then run trails, camp, and explore with it for a bit.

You might not need any serious mods at all.

If your gonna primitive camp in the boonies .. 31 inch all terrains and a front locker will get you very far. $1300 or so.

Add a 2 in lift for another $1k... and your modding can end. (Just dont get jeep fever.. otherwise you'll end up broke)

The 2nd jeep you posted looked decently built... but you would need more details on it.

Also... check for rust on the frame.
Yeah, I'm not gonna be going on crazy off-road trails so there is only so much I need. Jeep fever is for sure going to be a thing aha. Hopefully, it doesn't get to me. I'm going to be doing pre-buy inspections from dealers. Rust isn't too much of an issue here in California but doesn't mean that it won't be there. Will be for sure to check that out.

I also found this one: https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/thousand-oaks-2000-jeep-wrangler-sport/7154536217.html
What are your thoughts on this? Pretty stock-ish (on the outside) for the most part.

Yeah, I'm not gonna be going on crazy off-road trails so there is only so much I need. Jeep fever is for sure going to be a thing aha. Hopefully, it doesn't get to me. I'm going to be doing pre-buy inspections from dealers. Rust isn't too much of an issue here in California but doesn't mean that it won't be there. Will be for sure to check that out.

I also found this one: https://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/d/thousand-oaks-2000-jeep-wrangler-sport/7154536217.html
What are your thoughts on this? Pretty stock-ish (on the outside) for the most part.

I think thats pricey.

I am in San Diego.. and have seen better deals.

I wonder why it has a new engine... i would probably keep looking.

Your right about SoCal not having rusted jeeps.. but keep in mind there are a lot of transplants here... and the coastal jeeps could have salt rust.

Overall, take your time... your in a good place to find a nice TJ.

Last edited:
What are your
I think thats pricey.

I am in San Diego.. and have seen better deals.

I wonder why it has a new engine... i would probably keep looking.

Your right about SoCal not having rusted jeeps.. but keep in mind there are a lot of transplants here... and the coastal jeeps could have salt rust.

Overall, take your time... your in a good place to find a nice TJ.
Yeah, I have to wait for a response from them as to why as it's a new engine/transmission. Is that a possible plus that it's new? Almost like a newer jeep. It's all up to why it was replaced. I'm sure I can get the price down too.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/...oTempest&utm_medium=TRP&utm_campaign=atempest

This is the first one I would want to look closer at from what you have posted. Would need lot more pics, better description of what has been done for rear axle and why ARB in front but e-locker in rear but they list a number of quality parts. For what you have listed honestly might be overbuilt but if truly parts listed and done right should be able to handle most trails you could throw at it.

Problem with something like this is your dealer or service based pre-inspection likely won’t help much. You would do better to have someone experienced with lifted Jeeps check it out.

What are your

Yeah, I have to wait for a response from them as to why as it's a new engine/transmission. Is that a possible plus that it's new? Almost like a newer jeep. It's all up to why it was replaced. I'm sure I can get the price down too.

Is there a new engine because og ultra high mileage, an accident, maybe abuse?

The 2.4 and 4.0 should easily hit 250k miles.

Personally i would keep looking.

I agree with the stock sentiments, but for more than just being able to add your own upgrades.

I didn't start wheeling until I had my lift and wheels simply because I didn't think I'd be able to do much. I wish I would've hit the trails at least once with my X bone-stock so I could get a better feel for what the upgrades were actually doing.

I'm happy with my choices, but I feel like I missed out on truly understanding my own rig. Now that I know, I'm planning to pick up a set of axles and delve more into the process myself. Once they're built up the way I want them, I'm going to swap out my current axles.