First time off-roading today

schabj3

Planning to do some light off-roading today. I feel under-prepared but do not plan to do anything remotely extreme. Will be at an off-roading park so expect to see other folks there.

Any tips or things you wish you knew/thought of before you went out off-roading for the first time?

I doubt you'll be on any terrain that is very difficult but remember to air down at least some. That's a good practice to get into. A slightly softer tire enhances traction, is less likely to be punctured or sliced by a trail obstacle, and gives you a better ride. 15 psi is the start of pressures that are low enough to start helping. Any tire pressure above 15 psi won't really help when you're offroad.

Golden Rule #1 Never go wheeling alone.

My first wheeling trip. Met lots of new friends. Mostly all were forum peeps on here.

Take pictures !

20201205_134326.jpg

Do your basic maintenance and visual checks to make sure your vehicle is sound before leaving home.
Have real recovery points front and rear.
Carry a shovel.
Air down and carry a pump to air your tires back up at the end of the day.
Carry a few basic hand tools (even if they are the wrong ones it shows you tried).
Carry a spare.
Carry a kinetic strap or rope along with a couple of hard or soft shackles.
Wheel with at least one other 4x4.
Watch, listen, and maintain a good positive attitude even if you break, get stuck, roll, or fail on obstacles.
Help where you can and learn where you can't.

Do thiose simple things and you will have fun, never be "that guy", and will always be welcome in a group. Refinements to your driving, gear, and vehicle will come with time.

Planning to do some light off-roading today. I feel under-prepared but do not plan to do anything remotely extreme. Will be at an off-roading park so expect to see other folks there.

Any tips or things you wish you knew/thought of before you went out off-roading for the first time?
Idk. Start earlier in the morning. Ya can’t wheel all day if ya don’t start in the morning!

Reactions: DETOUR
First time at an off-road park? You could take a dozen items to help you out, or you could take none and hope for the best. It shouldn't be too bad, just look for the following when you get there:

Jeeps and other 4x4s similar in size to yours.
Older guys/couples
People that have a kid or two with them.
Anyone off roading with a dog, the smaller the better.
Women drivers, especially if they are also new to off roading and have someone teaching them.

While any of them "could" create a major problem, if you can find someone that meets all five of those the chances of having a terrible time is almost zero.

Every time you go, you'll figure out what to have for the next trip.

Reactions: schabj3
Normal car wash OK?
Best to take a hose, or the wand at a car wash, and hit every hole in the sides of the frame that you can. Water will start running out of other holes in the frame when you do this. I'd do it until what comes out is clear. Some, including myself, have drilled drain holes in the bottom of the frame, right behind the front control arm mounts as well as right in front of the rear control arm mounts. If I remember correctly, I drilled 3/8" holes, or somewhere near that size. touch up the holes with some paint to reduce rust.

On the sides of the frame, near the back of the front tires are big openings. I got some plugs and put in there to keep the front tires from throwing as much stuff in there. There are holes on the opposite side on the inside, but I didn't plug those, just the outboard ones. That alone will not eliminate getting stuff in your frame, but it will help some.

If you have one of those fan spray sprinklers, it will help clean the underside some. I do that after making trips to the Outer Banks and driving on the beach. Just move it around in 4 or 5 places for about 15 minutes each.

By the looks of your jeep, you're going to have a lot of mud under it to clean out/off.

IMG_1569.JPG

Last edited: