Fixing dented gas tank

vito2772

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just came back from a good wheeling trip and noticed I have a pretty good dent in my gas tank skid that is pushing in the gas tank in as well. Check the pictures out below. No gas is leaking (yet).

I was thinking of just popping off the gas tank skid and seeing if I can straighten both the skid and the tank out. Is this the best option? Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Just wanted opinions.

Thanks

20210720_174904.jpg

20210720_174922.jpg

I've never done this to a gas tank, but have used a heat gun to help mal-formed plastic gain its original shape. Unfortunately, to do it correctly, you'd need to remove the gas tank, remove the fuel pump, drain all the gas out of it, then let anything left evaporate. Once it's truly dry, take a heat gun and apply heat in a circular pattern to the area where the indentation is. The trick is to get it uniformly hot, but not to the points where you melt the plastic.

Most of the time plastic will try to find its original shape, but can be helped by using something like a broom handle to push down on the bottom of the tank. The fuel pump opening as your access point for this part.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1600-watt-12-amp-14-temperature-dual-fan-speed-heat-gun-64112.html

If I could make a suggestion, an inexpensive upgrade to the early ('97-'02) gas tank skid is the '03-'06 version. They're quite a bit sturdier. Thicker metal (by .010"), ribbed supports to aid in rigidity, and a stamped, one-piece unit, versus the welded (and open on one end) units the earlier TJs had. Just a thought...
img_0206-jpg.jpg

img_0205-jpg.jpg

img_0204-jpg.jpg

img_0198-jpg.jpg

img_0207-jpg.jpg

Your tank should pop back to normal once removed from skid, mine did. Then I just took the trusty sledge hammer and whipped the skid back into shape. When I dented mine it pushed the pump out of the tank. I've done it twice. Now I have the savvy skid. No more problems.

If you can afford it and plan to wheel a bit, I’d upgrade the skid while you have it out. The early TJ skids are weak. I’d bet it will pop back to shape if you don’t let it sit that way too long, you may need to give it some help from the inside.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I wish you were closer. I have a brand new Mopar later model TJ gas tank skid plate w/straps that has been raised/welded 1” higher for more clearance. It needs a new home…