Flush mounted tail lights

You absolutely can but then you have taillights that look like you paid 14 dollars for them at some truck stop.
I like the way they look. And they are BRIGHT.
001 (2).JPG

Reactions: JMT
I'd love to hear your thoughs after you install these. I've been curious about them. I like the lower profile but not enough to spend the $ on the aluminum.
I mistakenly let myself believe the MetalCloak would not require license plate relocation. Quit mid-install to reassess. I won't do OEM flush mount with corner armor in place, or any that require cutting - too much work for my taste. Hoping I can convince my local TJ buddies to take these off my hands and I'll just bite the bullet and go MaxBilt. A minor cut in the OEM license plate holder is all that's required to fit MB and I'll get some plate bolt lights for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 06lj
I mistakenly let myself believe the MetalCloak would not require license plate relocation. Quit mid-install to reassess. I won't do OEM flush mount with corner armor in place, or any that require cutting - too much work for my taste. Hoping I can convince my local TJ buddies to take these off my hands and I'll just bite the bullet and go MaxBilt. A minor cut in the OEM license plate holder is all that's required to fit MB and I'll get some plate bolt lights for that.
Lovely..

Max-Bilt Offroad: "I received your order and just wanted to give you an update. We are unfortunately out of stock for the tail lights. Not to be alarmed though, we are expecting them to be back in physical inventory and ready for shipment in roughly 4-6 weeks."

Yes. And the reason
Are those rock hard can mounts?
Yes, and the reason I did the LED lights. OEM tails with guards would not clear the mount on the Currie bumper. RH said driver's side would not be an issue (without the guards) but passenger side will not work. (Even with the lopro LEDs I had to move my tire bracket out an inch to clear the top of the LED). I went ahead and did the LEDs, hoping the passenger side might work with the stubby lights, but it looks like the can carrier will work only when I have the hard top off, which might be fine because my summer trail rides/camping will likely be w/o the top. Still messing and measuring before I dump more coin on another can rack.

The Currie bumper has it's pivot much closer to the tub than other tire carrier bumpers. At least that's my assumption.

Yes. And the reason

Yes, and the reason I did the LED lights. OEM tails with guards would not clear the mount on the Currie bumper. RH said driver's side would not be an issue (without the guards) but passenger side will not work. (Even with the lopro LEDs I had to move my tire bracket out an inch to clear the top of the LED). I went ahead and did the LEDs, hoping the passenger side might work with the stubby lights, but it looks like the can carrier will work only when I have the hard top off, which might be fine because my summer trail rides/camping will likely be w/o the top. Still messing and measuring before I dump more coin on another can rack.

The Currie bumper has it's pivot much closer to the tub than other tire carrier bumpers. At least that's my assumption.
Thanks,it looks like the can mount need to be shimmed up.I know they are expensive if I’m gonna have to cut and reweld eBay has a set for 135.00 for both but most likely way flimsyer,and gas is heavy😂

Thanks,it looks like the can mount need to be shimmed up.I know they are expensive if I’m gonna have to cut and reweld eBay has a set for 135.00 for both but most likely way flimsyer,and gas is heavy😂
Didn't shim, just moved the tire an inch out with bumper adjustment.
1/2" spacer would have done it if there was no adjustment available. Just so the can rack could be moved up.

PXL_20220314_185057641.jpg

PXL_20220314_185109557.jpg

Didn't shim, just moved the tire an inch out with bumper adjustment.
1/2" spacer would have done it if there was no adjustment available. Just so the can rack could be moved up.

View attachment 315731

View attachment 315732
Oh I was talking about the platform,it looks like it’s falling off to the left,is that a cb mount too,will be checking on these,I have just bought 2 wavian cans for overlanding

Oh I was talking about the platform,it looks like it’s falling off to the left,is that a cb mount too,will be checking on these,I have just bought 2 wavian cans for overlanding
I'll have to check level on it. Nothing jumped out at me visually.
Yup a CB antenna mount. A nice touch I guess but my GMRS antenna mount is already on an 8 x 8" ground plane plate on the 3rd brake light mount.

I'm liking the Metalcloak LED Tail lights....did you have to relo your license plate holder?
I modified the OEM bracket to screw into the lower OEM holes, screw mount license plate lights wires through one of the upper existing holes. Had to mount the plate, bend it up for access to mount the plastic bracket... and all sorta BS.
Then I found the Savvy bracket online, in stock even. Would have gone that route probably.

I modified the OEM bracket to screw into the lower OEM holes, screw mount license plate lights wires through one of the upper existing holes. Had to mount the plate, bend it up for access to mount the plastic bracket... and all sorta BS.
Then I found the Savvy bracket online, in stock even. Would have gone that route probably.
So does Metalcloak mention the need for relocation in their ad for their knock offs?

Reactions: mrblaine