Fog Light question

Germanshepherd

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Happy Sunday..
Question about fog lights. My jeep does not have them but on the multi switch it does have the option to pull out the switch to turn on fog lights and the fog light ICON will light up on the dash.
does that mean my jeep had factory fog lights/wiring at one time or do all jeeps have this even if it never had factory fog lights.

I want to get a set of fog/driving lights for bumper and wondering if I can have it that they do on with the multi headlight switch.
I do not see any wiring behind bumper if it did have factory fog lights but then again, not sure what or whereI am to be looking.

thx

Happy Sunday..
Question about fog lights. My jeep does not have them but on the multi switch it does have the option to pull out the switch to turn on fog lights and the fog light ICON will light up on the dash.
does that mean my jeep had factory fog lights/wiring at one time or do all jeeps have this even if it never had factory fog lights.

I want to get a set of fog/driving lights for bumper and wondering if I can have it that they do on with the multi headlight switch.
I do not see any wiring behind bumper if it did have factory fog lights but then again, not sure what or whereI am to be looking.

thx

If you have the switch for them there, then yes, it's almost certain that your Jeep is pre-wired for them.

I had a similar situation with my Cherokee XJ and found out that the wiring is indeed already there. The same is true for cruise control on TJs. Even if it didn't come with cruise control, the underhood wiring harness plug for the cruise control module is there. I know this first hand since I added cruise control on my TJ, it was a breeze.

So, just get under there and start looking for foglight wiring harness'. They are usually tucked up there somewhere with zip ties.

If you have the switch for them there, then yes, it's almost certain that your Jeep is pre-wired for them.

I had a similar situation with my Cherokee XJ and found out that the wiring is indeed already there. The same is true for cruise control on TJs. Even if it didn't come with cruise control, the underhood wiring harness plug for the cruise control module is there. I know this first hand since I added cruise control on my TJ, it was a breeze.

So, just get under there and start looking for foglight wiring harness'. They are usually tucked up there somewhere with zip ties.

thanks Chris..

No problem! Let us know if you end up finding the wiring. It should be hidden behind the bumper area somewhere. Especially since you've already got the turn signal option on the switch.

Hi Chris, I think I found it.. here are 2 photos, its an end of a connector that is part of the wiring for the side marker and parking lights that is unused. think this is it? what are the chances of me finding aftermarket lights that has the same plug connector that will plug right into the factory wiring harness that is left handing there?
I see there is a gray and black wiring going into that loose OEM connector. if I can not find a set of lights that will plug into the OEM connector, can I just splice the negative/positive wiring from the fog lights into the OEM connector and call it the day? if so, which is the positive, the black or gray wire? thanks

IMG_20160731_155241465.jpg

IMG_20160731_155302314_HDR.jpg

maybe this is what I would need but not sure it looks like it would fit but sounds like what I need. looks like the loose wires from fog lights would just be inserted into the one end and the other end should snap into the existing OEM connector? but looking at the end of my connector and the adapter, does not look like a match per the photo but the more I look at it, maybe it would fit.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_09X6_PG.htm

IMG_20160731_160905052.jpg

Last edited:
That's the plug! The gray is the positive and the black is the ground wire. If you're not getting OE fog lights you can easily cut and splice your own connectors which is what I would do. Cheapest I have ever found OE fog lifts for is around $90 each. Pretty spendy!

Be aware that the wiring is designed for the 55 watt OE fog lights. Incandescent driving lights typically draw 150 watts so upgrading the wiring between the fog light relay and lights, and between the relay and battery, to a heavier gauge would be a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I think i will go with these lights, direct plug in replacement, no splicing involved and $120 for a pair. there is not much wiring behind the OEM connector once I cut it off so that makes me nervous in case there is not enough there to splice into so I think this will be the easiest option even though I can get some lights a bit cheaper if I splice.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/97047_1202.htm

Be aware that the wiring is designed for the 55 watt OE fog lights. Incandescent driving lights typically draw 150 watts so upgrading the wiring between the fog light relay and lights, and between the relay and battery, to a heavier gauge would be a good idea.
Hi Jerry, thanks... the lights I am looking at are 55 so I should be ok..