For all of us with two wheels also

Out and about for an early evening Christmas themed ride on my 1968 Raleigh Superbe in Geneva, IL tonight.
wahCHz8l.jpg

Betcha can guess how I got the bicycle there.

I am building another bicycle for the 2024 Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour. It's going to be a step thru frame, aka girls bike, this year as I'm pushing seventy and throwing a leg over can be a bit dicey for an old fart. I also slightly tore a hip ligament playing soccer with my grandson that isn't helping.
So this is the frame. It's a Danish built Everton from the late 80s, early 90s. The rear wheel is from the donor bike
0qvbu6ml.jpg

The donor bike is a Finnish built Tunturi.
TVSq0W0l.jpg

It's a freaking weird bike, but it had a nice set of 700c aluminum wheels and a Sachs 3 speed coaster brake hub. It was also free.

So far, the only bit of creativity needed on my part was removing the drive side bottom bracket cup from the Everton that has been in place for over thirty years AND a hamfist worked on it first. It took an old Suzuki transmission gear and a 3/8" bolt to hold my wrench on the cup and a loud grunt. Unfortunately, it broke loose easier than expected and I was on my ass on the garage floor.
dCuDwr7l.jpg

The joys of old bicycles.

I am building another bicycle for the 2024 Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tour. It's going to be a step thru frame, aka girls bike, this year as I'm pushing seventy and throwing a leg over can be a bit dicey for an old fart. I also slightly tore a hip ligament playing soccer with my grandson that isn't helping.
So this is the frame. It's a Danish built Everton from the late 80s, early 90s. The rear wheel is from the donor bike
View attachment 482886

The donor bike is a Finnish built Tunturi.
View attachment 482887
It's a freaking weird bike, but it had a nice set of 700c aluminum wheels and a Sachs 3 speed coaster brake hub. It was also free.

So far, the only bit of creativity needed on my part was removing the drive side bottom bracket cup from the Everton that has been in place for over thirty years AND a hamfist worked on it first. It took an old Suzuki transmission gear and a 3/8" bolt to hold my wrench on the cup and a loud grunt. Unfortunately, it broke loose easier than expected and I was on my ass on the garage floor.
View attachment 482888

The joys of old bicycles.

Good on ya, Cheesy.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Tuesday evening I rode the Ural to the DuKane ABATE Chapter Christmas party. It was about 30F when I left home and about 25F when I got there. I was also the only idi...er...motorcyclist that rode there.

As I'm walking in, carrying my winter helmet, the chapter prez says, "Jeez, you've got bigger balls than the rest of us."
My quick comeback was "Not right now I don't." Usually takes me about 20 minutes to come up with something like that.

It was 23F when I was heading home. So, glad I got the problem with the heated grips sorted.

https://www.abate-il.org/

The front fork showed up for the Orange bicycle today, so I got that installed today.
eBReUMfl.jpg

I've run into a problem with the cabling and adjustments of the Sachs 3 speed hub. I can set up and adjust an old British Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub with my eyes closed. God help me, I can even set up an old Japanese Shimano 3.3.3 hub. I need one eye open to do it, but I can do it. This German built Sachs is 'like a Sturmey Archer, but different'. :confused: Different enough that what I know ain't enough.

I had to change my plans for this year's 3 Speed Tour as the Flat Track Motorcycle Races at the Sycamore Speedway, in Sycamore, IL, are the same weekend. I promised Owen I'd take him this year. I'm gonna ruin that kid.

Reactions: Wildman