For all of us with two wheels also

Got these from a veterans group I'm in on FB.

When motorcycles were as bad ass as the men who rode them.. TBH when you are hauling ass out of the back of a helicopter, it has to be one of the coolest things ever.

1648252464353.png

1648252479086.png

1648252491865.png

1648252505474.png

1648252528506.png

And another one.

Earlier I posted about the badass men who rode motorcycles in the military. One of our followers, reached out and shared her personal pictures of another badass man who rode during WWII, her grandfather, Karl J. Smith Sr., from Rocky Ridge Maryland. He happened to name his bike "Isabelle". Thank you @Yvonne walker for sharing such cool photos of your grandfather!

1648252556292.png

1648252571019.png

The Alcan is smooth as glass now… north of Fairbanks is a whole different story.
If the Dalton Hwy/Hall Rd is dry, it’s 500 miles of a gravel road that will eat the paint off your ride, not to mention the bullets that are shot from the occasional truck that passes at breakneck speeds.
If it’s wet… well that’s a whole new kind of adventure on two wheels. The road turns to slime with ruts that will swallow a small car 😂 Fortunately we only hit about 100 miles of wet, it can be the whole 500 at times and that I would not want to try on two wheels.

Put it on your bucket list
View attachment 318184

I've thought about doing one of these tours since I don't have a adventure bike.

https://www.motoquest.com/

I've thought about doing one of these tours since I don't have a adventure bike.

https://www.motoquest.com/
The guy I rode with was riding a Vulcan 1500… I saw him on several occasions leave the seat and had a death grip on the handlebars. He did have a couple very minor get offs and broke a seat mount. But he never complained and was a tough MF’kr IMHO 🤣 the only real downside for me was he had to carry a 2.5 gallon gas can and we hat to stop every 130 miles for him to refuel. Met a guy named “Diamond Jim” on the Dalton riding a 1200 sportster, he was quite the character 🤣

So it can be done on most any bike depending on your skill or mental health 😜

Also met a threesome (two guys and a girl) on bicycles that started in Tiera Del Fuego… the tip is South America. They took turns pulling a small trailer with their gear. They were 30 miles from Prudhoe Bay 🚴 😱

Make it happen if you can… we get one big trip ✔️ made up of a bunch of little ones🤙

The Alcan someday. Right now I'd be happy to just ride the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, aka, the TWAT, on the Ural. Maybe this fall.

Anyway, just about finished with this little French turd.
51961960858_62987c60d8_z.jpg

I prefer to wrap handlebars outside on a warm and sunny day. As it snowed in NE Illannoy last night, it may be another week or two before that gets done.

Reactions: OFF2BFE
Wow, that's flat. Good time though. Last century I did was outside of Traverse City, MI in 06 on a Miyata Carbon Tech 3000 converted to fixed gear. One of the animals I ride with set a 22 mph pace. He finished in just over 4 hrs. Me, I crapped out and struggled the last 20 miles. Finished in just over 6 hrs. I wasn't the only one threatening to strangle him over breakfast the next day.

A buddy of mine did the TWAT on a Vee-Strom with street tires a few years back. He had to pick it up a few times when he got in the sand in N. Wisconsin. He wants to do it again but this time on a dual sport.

“Wow, that's flat.”

I’m not sure how we achieved 468’ we were on the coast… musta been a bridge 😂

We did struggle with some serious wind all day 😱
CCF370CD-FB15-4151-B58E-57BCD0808F5F.jpeg

Reactions: Cheesy
I've done more than one century with winds like that. (n) Did a 300K(186 miles)that started in a drizzle and it ended up pouring all day. Didn't matter whether I rode with fenders or not.

Out here it only looks flat. You can hit a 2% grade that goes on for miles. I have a 17 mile loop out this way that has several climbs but the downhills cancel them out so it's a zero gain. A far cry from the 44,000' during PBP in 91.

The guy I rode with was riding a Vulcan 1500… I saw him on several occasions leave the seat and had a death grip on the handlebars. He did have a couple very minor get offs and broke a seat mount. But he never complained and was a tough MF’kr IMHO 🤣 the only real downside for me was he had to carry a 2.5 gallon gas can and we hat to stop every 130 miles for him to refuel. Met a guy named “Diamond Jim” on the Dalton riding a 1200 sportster, he was quite the character 🤣

So it can be done on most any bike depending on your skill or mental health 😜

Also met a threesome (two guys and a girl) on bicycles that started in Tiera Del Fuego… the tip is South America. They took turns pulling a small trailer with their gear. They were 30 miles from Prudhoe Bay 🚴 😱

Make it happen if you can… we get one big trip ✔️ made up of a bunch of little ones🤙

I've been to Prudhoe Bay before because I lived in Barrow as a kid. So yes I know what the roads can get like when it's wet. The idea of trying to man handle my 900 lb Road Glide Ultra CVO up the haul road is why I like the idea of renting a adventure bike instead. But how ever I did it I'm sure it would be an exciting adventure.

My buddy who did it on his Harley lives in TX so he traveled a good distance too. I've got to get my Jeep finished before I can start thinking about taking any trips like this.