Ford 7.3L V8 Godzilla swap information

Steel City 06

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
So I got bored the past week and did a deep dive into the Ford 7.3L V8 Godzilla crate gasoline engine as a potential swap option for our TJs. Since there really isn't a lot of information out there yet, I figured I would dump my notes here.

Background:
So what is this engine, and why would I ever swap it?

Well, ever since Ford did away with the 6.8L V10 (which was literally a 5.4L V8 with two extra cylinders), Ford was building a replacement option for it. And it came out as the 7.3L V8 Godzilla, and began appearing in 2020 model year trucks.

Even though this engine was originally designed for large pickup trucks and vans, engine builders and swappers have had their eye on this engine for quite some time. The large displacement, extremely stout build, small footprint, and numerous other factors make it a potentially very attractive swap option. And Ford has begun selling this engine as a crate engine, and plans to release control packs and front engine accessory drive (FEAD) options in the near future.

ford_godzilla-06.jpg

To shortly summarize the engine, the stock 7.3L is capable of 430 horsepower (5500 RPM) and 475 ft-lbs of torque (4000 RPM), and has a very flat torque curve. I'll leave the finer details to other more well-written articles, but the engine has 7.3L of displacement (theoretically could be stroked to 8.2L), uses port fuel injection (potentially adding direct fuel injection in the near future), uses a pushrod design, and has numerous other features I'll leave to more in-depth articles.

ford_godzilla-07.jpg

Check out this holley.com link for an introduction to this engine

This video is a really good introduction to the Godzilla:

Size:
One of the primary advantages of the Godzilla engine is its small size for its displacement. Technically a small block, it is narrower than a 5.0 Coyote, although just a little longer. It measures 24" long from the bellhousing face to the timing cover, and about 29" long including the harmonic balancer and FEAD. Compare that to the TJ 4.0L I6 which is 32" in length. So the engine is actually shorter than an I6, about the same width as most GM options; however it is a bit taller. Aftermarket intake manifolds could probably shorten the height closer to the average GM option.
Godzilla_vs_Coyote-1.png

All_Engine_Comparison_V2-1.png

Transmission options:
The Godzilla engine uses Ford's "Modular V8" transmission pattern, meaning there are a vast number of different OEM and aftermarket transmissions available for the 7.3L.

Other Ford Modular V8 engines include the 4.6L V8, the 5.0L Coyote V8, the 5.2L Voodoo V8, the 5.4L V8, the 5.8L Trinity V8, the 6.8L V10, and the 5.0L and 5.3L Cammer V8s. Any transmission that bolts to one of those theoretically will bolt to the 7.3L V8.

I believe the Ford Boss line of engines also use the Ford Modular V8 transmission bolt pattern. This primarily includes the 6.2L Boss V8.

The engine, in factory form, is paired with Ford's 10R140 transmission, which is a 10-speed version of the 6R140. Ford transmissions are named by number of gears and input torque capacity. Hence the 10R140 is a transmission with 10 forward gears, and rated for 1400 Nm (1,033 ft-lbs) of input torque. This transmission is also used behind the 7.3L powerstroke, though the powerstroke version has a couple extra clutch packs and planetary gears for the increased load. The 10R140 has the capability for power take-off of up to 300 Nm.

A short list of a few popular transmissions that should bolt straight to the Godzilla:
  • Ford 10R140 - 10-speed, 1400 Nm transmission used in Super Duty trucks and Chassis Cabs. Essentially a supersized 10R80. Most likely 30.3" long.
  • Ford 10R80 - 10-speed, 800 Nm transmission used in F150s and similar vehicles. V8 versions of this transmission should bolt to the 7.3. Note Ecoboost versions will probably not bolt to the 7.3. This transmission is commonly used behind the 3.5 Ecoboost, which is rated for 500 ft-lbs of torque. So it should withstand the 7.3L in all but severe duty applications. 27.8" long. (If I had to choose a transmission, this would absolutely be my choice.) Same as GM 10L80 transmission (different bellhousing).
  • Ford 6R140 - Older 6-speed transmission used in Super Duty trucks and chassis cabs. 6-speed, 1400 Nm. 30.3" long. Same size as 10R140.
  • Ford 6R80 - Older 6-speed transmsission used in F150s and similar vehicles. 6-speed, 800 Nm. Almost same size as 10R80. 26.6" long.
  • Tremec T45 - 5-speed manual, 375 ft-lbs capacity. Probably undersized, but may possibly work.
  • Tremec T56 - 6-speed manual, 350-400 ft-lbs capacity. Probably undersized, but may possibly work.
  • Tremec TR3650 - 5-speed manual, 360 ft-lbs capacity.
  • Tremec TR-6060 - 6-speed manual, 600 ft-lbs of torque. Possible good match for stock 7.3L?
  • Getrag MT-82 - 6-speed manual, 800 ft-lbs torque capacity. Good option for modded 7.3L?
  • Tremec TR-3160 6-speed manual, 405 ft-lbs torque capacity.
  • Tremec TR-9070 7-speed manual, 664 ft-lbs of torque. Seems like a potentially awesome option given the wide span of gears and high torque rating.
  • ZF S6-650 - 6 speed manual used in older Ford Truck applications. Features a 5.79:1 1st gear ratio and a 0.72:1 OD ratio. A very interesting option for sure. Rated to 530 ft-lbs. The diesel version is rated to 560 but I have no information if that would bolt up as well.
Requires adapter, but adapter is already available:
  • GM 700R4 - 4-speed automatic
  • GM 4L80E - 4 speed automatic
  • GM TH350
  • GM TH400
  • Tremec 3550
  • Tremec T90
  • Tremec T14
  • Tremec T86
  • Tremec T15
  • Tremec T18
  • Tremec T98
  • Tremec T19
  • Bronco II / Ranger 4-speed
  • Bronco II / Ranger 5-speed
  • Aisin AX-15
  • New Venture NV3550
  • New Venture NV4500
Out of all those options I would be most tempted to pair it with the 10R80. Given that the 10R80 is 27.8" and the 7.3 is 29" long, for a total length of 56.8". Compare that to a TJ 4.0 (32") equipped with an NV3550 (23.1"), which has a total length of 55.1". With an electric fan conversion, the engine could be placed in such a way to maintain OEM driveshaft lengths or similar. The 10R80 should be more than stout enough for even a modestly modified 7.3L. The 10R80 is used behind F150s with up to 19,500 lbs GCWR, so it will pull your little 4,000 lbs jeep and 3,500 lbs trailer with not a worry in the world. Now, if you slap a massive supercharger or turbocharger on the 7.3L, you might need the 10R140.

1624867297435.png

Diagram showing 10R80 construction

Controls:
The engine is offered as a crate engine from Ford, and they plan to release an OEM controls pack for the engine. Aftermarket controls packs are already available for manual and some automatic transmissions, including the 6R80, and a lot more should become available as people do more swaps with this engine. Ford plans to offer FEAD components with the engine in the near future. In the Super Duty, it is normally equipped with a 240 amp alternator, with dual alternators (397 amp) being an option. It is used with vacuum brakes, so the OEM power steering pump might not effectively support hydroboost or ram assist. An A/C compressor should be included in the FEAD package, and I'll bet it will be more than adequate for our little TJs.

Modifications:
This engine has only been out for a year or two, and yet people are already doing some impressive modifications with it. With some modest upgrades and tuning, 600 hp is achievable with natural aspiration. As much as 1,100 horsepower is achievable with stock internals and a pair of turbos, and 1,500 hp with a blower and some modest upgrades. I won't be surprised when someone manages to crank 2,000 hp out of one of these. Ford is rumored to be working on an OEM turbocharged version.

Acceptable gear ratios:
In the deepest geared configuration, this motor is offered in the Super Duty with the smallest (31.5") tires with 4.30 gears, and the highest with 33.2" tires with 3.55 gears. On a TJ with 35s and 10R80/10R140, that would correlate to a range of about 3.73 to 4.88. So even if you choose to run 4.88 gears (which would put you about 2150 RPM at 75), you would be in an OEM specification of engine RPMs. At the tallest end, 3.73s and 35s would put you at 1840 RPMs, which would still be well more than adequate given the impressive torque of the 7.3L. This engine is designed to rev, and should have an OEM redline of about 6,200 RPM. Even if you decided to go super deep with gearing, running at 3,000 RPM all day shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Why the Godzilla?
Why bother swapping in a Godzilla when you could just as easily do a different engine?
  • OEM support of both OEM and aftermarket applications. Ford is offering this as a crate engine, and has indicated they intend to expand the platform. And since it is a relatively new platform, OEM support of this engine should be around for a long time.
  • Aftermarket support - this engine has a lot of potential and a lot of hype, and I won't be surprised if it overtakes the Coyote in popularity. Many manufacturers are already developing aftermarket parts and kits for this engine, both in OEM and retrofit applications. Since it is such a new engine,aftermarket support should be around for a long time.
  • Extremely reliable horsepower and torque - this engine is designed to be run hard in the Super Duty and chassis cab configurations. It is routinely used in applications up to 28,000 lbs GCWR in it's highest OEM tune. Your sub-10,000 lbs GCWR jeep will be a piece of cake, even if you run it hard. I wouldn't be surprised to see 200,000 miles on a new engine and transmission put into a TJ.
  • Great horsepower and torque with good mileage - This new engine design puts out 430 HP and 475 ft-lbs of torque. That's already as much as most TJ owners could ever want. No need to mess with making it more powerful. The engine itself should be quite efficient.
  • Compactness - this engine occupies a smaller footprint than even the 5.0 Coyote, and theoretically could fit in a TJ engine bay without much issue. A small body lift may be preferable to increase clearance, but we really won't know until someone tries. Relocation kits for the oil cooler and oil filter are available aftermarket.
Check out this Fox Body Mustang Godzilla swap

Last edited:
I like the idea but it’ll never have the support of the LS.
100% the LS platform has the best support of any motor, parts are cheap motors are cheap and they have made a metric ass ton of them, and they are bullet proof reliable.
Not to mention all the OEM and aftermarket support for the GM transmissions.

I'm planning on downsizing the camper in the future, and am tempted getting a truck with this engine coupled with the 10 speed. Get rid of the diesel. But want to spend some time behind the wheel with a Jeep on a trailer first.

Ford has become a very innovative company, no question.

I’m not qualified to talk on feasibility to swap, but I’m convinced if there was an easy v8 swap for the 2008-10 3.8 Wrangler, note the word easy, the low cost of those chassis would create a frenzy. Slight derail admitted.

Good thread.

I like the idea but it’ll never have the support of the LS.
So what.
You might live in a cookie cutter world but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

It's 2021...not 1998, or 88 or 78...
Custom made whatever can be had via many sources present day from headers to motor mounts, bell housings and so on.
While custom items can cost more you don't go down the rabbit hole of engine swapping with light pockets...LS included.

I think it's a great idea with the exception of the transmissions available. I'm a manual guy and absolutely none of those trannies have a proper 1st gear for anything trail related.
Not one of them have at least a 4:1 1st gear

Holley has just came out with the terminator kit for the Gen 3 Hemi. Plug and play after motor mounts, trans mount, and assuming your 231 has a 23 spline input to mate to 545rfe. Not saying this is the way to go, but it should be considered. I feel its the cheapest way to V8 your TJ.

So what.
You might live in a cookie cutter world but that doesn't mean everyone else does.

Custom made whatever can be had via many sources present day from headers to motor mounts, bell housings and so on.
While custom items can cost more you don't go down the rabbit hole of engine swapping with light pockets...LS included.

I think it's a great idea with the exception of the transmissions available. I'm a manual guy and absolutely none of those trannies have a proper 1st gear for anything trail related.

Gear ratio is not as much of a deal with a torque convertor. Doubling horsepower and torque helps too.

Looks very impressive. I'd pick a nit about the aluminum heads, but with that said, it seems to be a damn fine motor. Adapt an SM-420 to it and call it good!

Reactions: Rubicon88
So what.

I’ll remember this post as I complete my swap

So what.

yea but there is sometimes a reason when everyone is doing one thing, probably because it works and works well. its ok to be different or want something else but be prepared to pay the price.

It is when you prefer a manual...

"Doubling horsepower and torque helps too."
On the highway.

There is no substitute for gearing on the trails.

Torque converters can double torque to the input shaft when engine speed is higher than input shaft speed. As the input speed catches up with the engine speed the advantage goes away. A manual transmission needs more ratio than an automatic, or more torque when crawling.

I think this engine will become a very popular and well-supported swap in the next few years. Dozens of companies are already working on various supporting products for the platform.

It also has the possibility of becoming one of the most versatile engine platforms available. This engine is built for reliability and easy serviceability, and as such is very easy to work on and quite tolerant of modification. These engines are intended for consumer as well as fleet usage, and unlike consumer markets, fleets are very concerned with maintenance costs, especially labor. So the engine is quite simple to work on. Rumor is the engine internals are strong enough for moderate forced induction builds.

As for transmissions, there are a lot more transmissions that can be adapted to the Ford Modular V8 platform than I listed. I mainly chose those ones because they are popular with either the Coyote or Godzilla.

For 1st gear ratios, the 10R80 or 10R140 transmissions have a 4.69:1 1st gear, and a 0.63 10th gear. That is simultaneously a deeper 1st than any TJ auto or manual, a taller OD than any TJ auto or manual, and a much larger span than any TJ auto or manual. Plus the gears are quite close to one another, so there is almost always a near-perfect ratio for the speed you are traveling.

As for manual transmissions, there are a lot more available than I listed that just require an adapter that is already on the market. Even with a direct bolt transmission like the Tremec TR-9070, it could easily be installed with 5.38 or 5.89 axle gears in Dana 44 axles (as deep as 7.17 with D60s) to have the effect of a super deep 1st gear while still having mild freeway manners with its 0.50 overdrive.

Other transmissions you can buy adapters for already:
  • Tremec T90
  • Tremec T14
  • Tremec T86
  • Tremec T15
  • Tremec T18
  • Tremec T98
  • Tremec T19
  • Bronco II / Ranger 4-speed
  • Bronco II / Ranger 5-speed
  • Aisin AX-15
  • New Venture NV3550
  • New Venture NV4500
Also, I missed the ZF S6-650, which will bolt directly to the Godzilla. This transmission has a 5.79:1 1st gear and a 0.72:1 6th gear, making it a potentially awesome option for a manual transmission. Rated for 530 ft-lbs, it should easily survive a stock or lightly modded Godzilla.

Reactions: reddvltj
Torque converters can double torque to the input shaft when engine speed is higher than input shaft speed. As the input speed catches up with the engine speed the advantage goes away. A manual transmission needs more ratio than an automatic, or more torque when crawling.
LOL...
I'm fully aware of what the torque converter does but you're missing the point entirely so allow me to clarify x2.

I clearly said I'm a manual person. What that means is I prefer to drive a Jeep with a manual. Speaking for others who prefer a manual it doesn't matter what automatic is available and able to do. It's irrelevant because it's not a manual.

I echo again of the above manual transmissions from the original list not one is good for the trail...at least not the off roading we get into here. Not one tranny listed with a first gear of at least 4:1

If memory serves me right they're all around 3:1 1st gear.
Really? So take your 2.4 and manual. I’ll give you a Doubler and DEEP axle gears.

I’ve been there. It’s dumb. Had 210:1….with 95 HP.

I’ll take the HP, 10 speed and two speed TC over all the gearing you want.
First of all you're using an extreme example. Nobody here mentioned using anything with 95HP and comparing it to that 7.3
That suggestion alone is dumb alright.

Secondly ....
Point is...right over your head

You can have the world's greatest automatic but if one PREFERS a manual...which i think I was pretty clear on being a manual person...
And as such the listed manual trannies from the oroginal list suck.

This isn't about a pissing contest over auto or manual.

The auto is irrelevant in my case and anyone else who'd rather have a manual.
The lowest..or highest numerically tranny of the bunch is right around 3:1
Quite possibly 2.97:1 if memory serves me right.

Sorry but in the world of manuals and off roading that is not enough 1st gear.
Hell the 3550/15/getrag are barely adequate (still on the lean side) but better than the above on that list.

I also mentioned in another post of this thread that anything in 2021 is possible. Meaning getting whatever you need to make whatever swap possible. (Provided the geometry works)

Yes the 7.3 is attractive but not the manual trannies from the original list. I'd source parts to make a real manual tranny work with that.

I didn’t compare the 7.3 to a 95 hp engine, I made a statement about gearing and to quote you,

“there is no substitute for gearing for the trails”.

While the wording is true, modern automatics offer better gearing. Period. Guys who tout that line usually are trying to make up for lack of power.

Prefer manuals all you want and there are some in this thread mentioned (that you failed to mention anyway, just wanted to jump in and piss on it like you do most threads) that would suit a manual build too.

Good job on hurling names at me attempting to bring me down to your level of intelligence. Don’t you have some tires to mount?

But since you want to insult me by calling me names, we can play together.