Found Device Under Steering Wheel Shroud

Richard Brust

Preparing to replace the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin over the weekend, I removed the steering wheel shroud and found a small device - some wires plugged in, some not, with two red wires leading to a small red light drilled into the dash - hopefully attached image shows OK - but this link should: (https://photos.app.goo.gl/1AE6E6C5T7ybq8dAA)

The two brown wires were plugged in, the two white "blocks" that you can see hanging behind were not plugged in - and the red on the far left is what went to the red light - also not plugged in. (also - the two white blocks end in a 10A and 15A fuse, then the wires go where I cannot see them)

I did open the device and there's really not to many markings on the inside except one of the components had Potter & Blumfield.

Also, on the left of the device you can barely see a small dial, and 4" black wire that looks like some antenna.

Thanks for any help!

lookWhatIFound.jpg

Last edited:
Aftermarket alarm system.
It will have a built in shock detector I think and the sensitivity of that would be adjusted by the knob/dial on the side.
It probably went bad at some point and the PO disconnected it to bypass.

I knew I'd attract the attention of the FBI and CIA - Just trying to rock the boat :cop: Alarm system totally makes sense, esp the little antenna thingy that prob is for the key fob.

Thanks all!