Fox 2.0 remote reservoir shocks rebuild thread

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
I recently picked up a facebook "deal." I bought 6 Fox Factory Remote reservoir shocks for 200 dollars. The dude was cool, and made sure to temper my expectations. But, I like a challenge, I like to rebuild and restore stuff like this and 200 dollars isn't the end of the world to learn something about how these shocks are put together. I figured, even if I can't use ANY of them, I will learn how they are assembled, the best way to pull them apart, make and or buy the tools necessary, etc.

I guess they were from a Chevy Silverado with a 6" lift. No idea on brand or anything like that. They were advertised as 11.5" and 13" travel. They are older, since they have the chrome bodies and blue anodized rod ends and dust caps. They are 2.0's with 5/8" shafts and no adjustable anything.

Here they are, the night I got them. These are the longer ones. I'm assuming they were in the rear of the truck. They are actually 14" travel shocks and they are BEAT. The one on top has chrome pulling off the body, but it has resistance, so I think it has oil left in it. The bottom one is really bad. You can hear the rust inside (the guy I bought it from warned me too). It looks like whoever pulled these from the vehicle cut the bolts, or they were not set up correctly as the top caps are fairly damaged. Nothing functional, but not pretty either. Big gouges and what looks like sawzall blade marks.
1691541203046.png

Here are the other four. They were paired for the front end, two shocks per front tire. These are actually 12" travel shocks. The guy posting the ad only measured to the rubber bumper, not total shaft travel. So, these will be the ones I'm trying to get right to put on MY jeep. I believe them to be in better shape. Externally, they look much better. A couple of them demonstrate resistance, and the other two move pretty freely but nothing crunchy or sloppy. The weird thing is that each pair has one with resistance and one without....Probably coincidence. If you look closely, there is black tape on one of the hoses, maybe to keep poking stainless wires away from fingers? Or someone thought electrical tape could stop a leak in a hydraulic system. Regardless, all the hoses will be replaced with new. The stainless is too frayed for my liking.

1691541440884.png

I'm antsy, and even though I'm no where near ready to install these on my jeep, I had to take one apart just to satisfy my curiosity. I started with what I believe to be the worst one...and it was a hell of a battle to get it apart. I got pretty medieval on the dust cap, since it was locked into the body so badly (yes, the set screw was removed). I tried a pipe wrench and that just tore the aluminum. In the meantime, my spanner wrench came in, so next I tried that and managed to pull the pin holes open so that the cap would not hold torque from the spanner any longer. Since the cap was now garbage, I cut pieces of it out and made a flat for a 24" Crescent wrench to grab.

1691541955842.png

That finally did the trick. That brings us to the seal head. That part was an even bigger pain to get out. Galvanic corrosion is no joke! The first thing you need to do is drive it into the shock body to remove the circlip that holds the whole assembly together. That required a 3 lb sledge, 2" pipe, cut in half, and lots of cursing. So, the Seal head is garbage too. Circlip popped out nicely though. Next step is remove the shaft assembly from the body. The shaft assembly holds the seal head, a spacer, the valve stack, and piston. The seal head was stuck! Not a little bit either. I won't post my "solution" to get it free, but it did involve my 20T HF press, some chain, and a very scary couple minutes wondering if the press would break or the aluminum would finally give. I didn't injure myself or die, so I guess it worked, but I don't want to show anyone what I did...it was stupid.

Anyway, this is what came out...
1691542317358.png

I think someone decided to run saltwater as a shock fluid! The body is trash, its all pitted (as you might imagine). The seal head has separated into three pieces.

Here are the shims and piston.

Rebound side
1691542408580.png

Compression Side

1691542429283.png

And the piston itself
1691542454910.png

Lots of garbage. So, this shock has yielded some knowledge, a good shaft (its straight and nick free) and a good reservoir assembly. The rest will go into the trash bin. I'll probably try to pull the top cap/mount off, just to see what that takes. If I really wanted to, I could get replacement parts for everything I need. Not sure it would be cost effective, but I could do it, which is nice that the parts are actually available.

I'll post more pictures here as I go through the rest of them.

Last edited:
Tore the second 14" shock apart today. This was a MUCH better experience than the last one. It actually purged some nitrogen when I hit the schrader valve! The insides are way prettier than the outside. Got it apart in about 20 minutes.

Ahh-Haa! That is what the shaft/Piston assembly is supposed to look like!

1691631039838.png

And, fully disassembled

1691631077126.png

One of the goals for this part of the project is to try and learn what the current valving is. Both of these shocks have had a Big, thick washer under the compression shim stack (its right below the spacer in the picture). I think I read somewhere that the washer is designed to limit the deflection of the shims and it REALLY stiffens up the compression stroke. Going to do some more research on this. Tough to find information though, as everyone who knows how to do this keeps it close to the chest.

Measured up the shims and they have been changed from what Fox would supply in current production. The current production 14" 2.0 RR shock is shipped with a 30/90 shim stack. The shock I took apart tonight is a 30/70 stack, so lighter on rebound. The big washer that I thought might be a rate plate is just a Top out plate to protect the shims. Its standard.

Got all this information from Kartek.com

https://www.kartek.com/mm5/graphics...-and-compression-shock-valving-shim-chart.pdf

Reactions: CMBD and tworley
I can confirm that the current production 2.0’s still use that same piston. A couple hundred bucks will get you what you need for charging them with nitrogen. You can also buy master shims sets with multiple of each size and start playing with different shim stacks.

Reactions: Mike_H and tworley
You going to get a valving starting point from Fox or just experiment?

Their support used to be stellar but have not dealt with them for several years. They shared their knowledge freely unlike all the tuners that want you to pay.

Reactions: Mike_H

Their support used to be stellar but have not dealt with them for several years. They shared their knowledge freely unlike all the tuners that want you to pay.

I’m going to reach out to a few places. Haven’t considered fox…so thanks for that!

Reactions: CMBD

After getting pushed around to two different divisions and them pushing me to a third (Sport Truck USA - Parent Company) I don't believe I will be getting any help from Fox.

I am 5 for 6. I pulled the rest of the shocks apart tonight and every one of them is usable. That's not to say they are perfect...far from it, but they are in good enough shape to rebuild them. I will make a parts list, soon, and get some stuff on order. I'm also going to paint the bodies and reservoirs with Cerakote. They have a specific coating for heat transfer (called transfer gray) that I'll do the bodies with, and I'll update to the new color scheme on the reservoirs with armor black. I'm also going to replace the hoses, the spherical bearings, and all the seals and wear bands. Oh, and don't forget the stickers! Gotta have those stickers, lol. Probably need a few little bits and bobs internally too, like some new travel stops and what not.

I also found that the valving on these shocks is etched (by hand) into the shock shaft eyelet. Thought that was interesting. I have two 12" shocks at the factory 30/90 and two that are lighter on rebound at 30/70. I haven't verified everything yet, but the one 14" I took apart that was 30/70 was marked 30/70...so with one data point, I'm assuming they are all there.

1691721995162.png

Not sure what I'm going to do with that one lone 14" shock...I may just get a rebuild kit, clean it up and try to sell it...or maybe I'll shorten it and use it as a steering stabilizer, HA!

Next steps with these are going to be taking my time, cleaning them up, and pulling the last few corroded and seized fasteners out. I'll document the shims I have and start calling around to see if anyone will help me set these things up at a new baseline, or if I'm going to have to wing it myself. They come apart easy enough, I don't think tuning will be a terrible burden, but it would be nice to at least start in the same Zip code...

Crawlpedia has lots of good shock repair, building, and tuning info:

https://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_tuning.htm

Shock tuning is its own can of worms but in the very least you can rebuild them, learn a lot in the process, and then send them to alltech motorsports for a good tj specific flutter stack tune.

i plan on calling them (all tech) when I have my parts list together. I hope they would sell me the valve stack, but they probably won’t to protect their secrets. It’s weird, these shocks are so easy to open up, all you would have to do is send them in for a tune then open em up when you get them back and it’s right there…you just have to measure it.

Hell, I’d pay more than the cost of the shims to save myself the hassle of shipping them back and forth.

Crawlpedia has lots of good shock repair, building, and tuning info:

https://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_tuning.htm

Shock tuning is its own can of worms but in the very least you can rebuild them, learn a lot in the process, and then send them to alltech motorsports for a good tj specific flutter stack tune.

I'm curious as I know nothing about this, but what would a ballpark estimate be for getting a set of shocks tuned?

Nice work so far. I love your dive in and learn approach. Watching you get into those old Fox shocks, you are inspiring me to think about tunable/rebuildable Jeep shocks (even externally adjustable). The Tokico shocks on my Mustang are the only adjustable automotive shocks I’ve had (just 6 clicks that adjust rebound and compression at the same time🙄). The adjustment on those does make a perceptible difference, but when I think about mountain bike suspension (air spring rate and volume, high and low speed rebound and compression, all individually adjustable and totally rebuildable) most car stuff is laughable.

i plan on calling them (all tech) when I have my parts list together. I hope they would sell me the valve stack, but they probably won’t to protect their secrets. It’s weird, these shocks are so easy to open up, all you would have to do is send them in for a tune then open em up when you get them back and it’s right there…you just have to measure it.

Hell, I’d pay more than the cost of the shims to save myself the hassle of shipping them back and forth.

Maybe but I suspect that you are right in that they would want to protect their recipe. Especially if they have put in a lot of time and effort with testing to get it to where it is now.

I did a bit of shock rebuilding in college for a competition I participated in and at times I have thought about opening up my alltech tuned shocks but I probably won’t. I don’t want to have to buy and store a nitrogen tank.

I'm curious as I know nothing about this, but what would a ballpark estimate be for getting a set of shocks tuned?

This is based purely on memory but I want to say it was 30 or 40 per shock with Alltech about two years ago. It’s more if you have them do a rebuild too.

• Wow
Nice work so far. I love your dive in and learn approach. Watching you get into those old Fox shocks, you are inspiring me to think about tunable/rebuildable Jeep shocks (even externally adjustable). The Tokico shocks on my Mustang are the only adjustable automotive shocks I’ve had (just 6 clicks that adjust rebound and compression at the same time🙄). The adjustment on those does make a perceptible difference, but when I think about mountain bike suspension (air spring rate and volume, high and low speed rebound and compression, all individually adjustable and totally rebuildable) most car stuff is laughable.

You can get some pretty wild adjustable shocks for the Jeep, if you’re willing to do the work to make them fit. The big difference with the off-road racing shocks is they go with bypasses vs tokens and all those adjustment knobs you see on mnt bikes. The bypasses can be assistance too!

One of the things I’ve had thoughts about are the SxS shocks. They are putting monster coil overs on those things now. Would they work on a Jeep? Fox is doing some crazy stuff, like Bluetooth adjustable valving!

Reactions: Woodrow
I recently picked up a facebook "deal." I bought 6 Fox Factory Remote reservoir shocks for 200 dollars. The dude was cool, and made sure to temper my expectations. But, I like a challenge, I like to rebuild and restore stuff like this and 200 dollars isn't the end of the world to learn something about how these shocks are put together. I figured, even if I can't use ANY of them, I will learn how they are assembled, the best way to pull them apart, make and or buy the tools necessary, etc.

I guess they were from a Chevy Silverado with a 6" lift. No idea on brand or anything like that. They were advertised as 11.5" and 13" travel. They are older, since they have the chrome bodies and blue anodized rod ends and dust caps. They are 2.0's with 5/8" shafts and no adjustable anything.

Here they are, the night I got them. These are the longer ones. I'm assuming they were in the rear of the truck. They are actually 14" travel shocks and they are BEAT. The one on top has chrome pulling off the body, but it has resistance, so I think it has oil left in it. The bottom one is really bad. You can hear the rust inside (the guy I bought it from warned me too). It looks like whoever pulled these from the vehicle cut the bolts, or they were not set up correctly as the top caps are fairly damaged. Nothing functional, but not pretty either. Big gouges and what looks like sawzall blade marks.
View attachment 448189

Here are the other four. They were paired for the front end, two shocks per front tire. These are actually 12" travel shocks. The guy posting the ad only measured to the rubber bumper, not total shaft travel. So, these will be the ones I'm trying to get right to put on MY jeep. I believe them to be in better shape. Externally, they look much better. A couple of them demonstrate resistance, and the other two move pretty freely but nothing crunchy or sloppy. The weird thing is that each pair has one with resistance and one without....Probably coincidence. If you look closely, there is black tape on one of the hoses, maybe to keep poking stainless wires away from fingers? Or someone thought electrical tape could stop a leak in a hydraulic system. Regardless, all the hoses will be replaced with new. The stainless is too frayed for my liking.

View attachment 448190

I'm antsy, and even though I'm no where near ready to install these on my jeep, I had to take one apart just to satisfy my curiosity. I started with what I believe to be the worst one...and it was a hell of a battle to get it apart. I got pretty medieval on the dust cap, since it was locked into the body so badly (yes, the set screw was removed). I tried a pipe wrench and that just tore the aluminum. In the meantime, my spanner wrench came in, so next I tried that and managed to pull the pin holes open so that the cap would not hold torque from the spanner any longer. Since the cap was now garbage, I cut pieces of it out and made a flat for a 24" Crescent wrench to grab.

View attachment 448199

That finally did the trick. That brings us to the seal head. That part was an even bigger pain to get out. Galvanic corrosion is no joke! The first thing you need to do is drive it into the shock body to remove the circlip that holds the whole assembly together. That required a 3 lb sledge, 2" pipe, cut in half, and lots of cursing. So, the Seal head is garbage too. Circlip popped out nicely though. Next step is remove the shaft assembly from the body. The shaft assembly holds the seal head, a spacer, the valve stack, and piston. The seal head was stuck! Not a little bit either. I won't post my "solution" to get it free, but it did involve my 20T HF press, some chain, and a very scary couple minutes wondering if the press would break or the aluminum would finally give. I didn't injure myself or die, so I guess it worked, but I don't want to show anyone what I did...it was stupid.

Anyway, this is what came out...
View attachment 448200

I think someone decided to run saltwater as a shock fluid! The body is trash, its all pitted (as you might imagine). The seal head has separated into three pieces.

Here are the shims and piston.

Rebound side
View attachment 448201

Compression Side

View attachment 448202

And the piston itself
View attachment 448203

Lots of garbage. So, this shock has yielded some knowledge, a good shaft (its straight and nick free) and a good reservoir assembly. The rest will go into the trash bin. I'll probably try to pull the top cap/mount off, just to see what that takes. If I really wanted to, I could get replacement parts for everything I need. Not sure it would be cost effective, but I could do it, which is nice that the parts are actually available.

I'll post more pictures here as I go through the rest of them.

Having zero experience with serviceable shocks....I wonder if this one had a leak and someone had been charging it with air instead of nitrogen? That would provide moisture and oxygen needed to corrode...

Having zero experience with serviceable shocks....I wonder if this one had a leak and someone had been charging it with air instead of nitrogen? That would provide moisture and oxygen needed to corrode...

I think the seals were shot and over time, the shock pulled water in. Think about steel wheels and tires...I've NEVER seen one that badly corroded and I've torn apart steel tractor wheels that are 40 years old...that had air in them their whole lives.

Plus, the air should live in the reservoir, not the shock body, in this style shock. The IFP separates the two. The Reservoir is fine.