Frame red flag?

icetraekay

IMG_0848.jpeg
How’s this frame mount look? Does it look painted around it? Honestly can’t tell

Jab it with a screw driver and you'll see the condition (structurally this won't make it any worse).

View attachment 510798How’s this frame mount look? Does it look painted around it? Honestly can’t tell

Well it looks like that section of the Torque box is Toast but fortunately not a serious problem. The section should be cut away back to clean metal and treated. I sourced replacements on Amazon and welded in a new section.

1710892548177.png

Reactions: KcTj
Not good.

Can you give some context? Does it look painted?

Definitely was rusted around a bit. Body was better than undercarriage but it was only going for 7k. Sahara, 140K miles, 5 speed, 2.5 inch RC flex suspension, new tires

Definitely was rusted around a bit. Body was better than undercarriage but it was only going for 7k. Sahara, 140K miles, 5 speed, 2.5 inch RC flex suspension, new tires

That’s a lot of money to have rust through… you can bet that there is a whole lot more.

I have a RC 2.5 lift. It's not a pro, I can tell you that much. I have seen many, many rust free 4.0 TJ's with lower mileage and better quality parts (but usually stock with maybe different wheels, which is better than how RC shocks ride) go for 7k, but usually around 8-10k in Ohio.

If the torque box around the tub mount is rotted that bad, there's more you haven't found. Or it's covered up with rubberized undercoating, rustoleum, bondo, or all 3. Has the frame been repaired?

That's not close to worth 7k in my opinion. It's not that "low mileage" and that's gonna take some fab and welding to be truly safe and solid. Not fun and not cheap unless you're set up for it. The rust is so common the parts to fix TJ's anywhere are pretty readily available.

Reactions: Tob and Weasellee

That mount was 100% sprayed with rust converter. Problem is, rust converter does fuck all when the steel has already eroded and collapsed.

It sucks, but you should really move on to the next one. The right one will pop up eventually. My honest advice is to get cash and head south. If you want a wide variety of TJ's that aren't rust belt rats, look outside of the salt belt. The desert is your best bet, but that's a minute or two away from New England.

I don’t like the look of the frame in the upper right corner of the picture in addition to not liking the torque box rot. The bend of the frame should be smooth not jagged and pitted-definitely been painted over. If you just want to buy it and run the hell out of it, go for it, but it’s probably not worth throwing money at and building up. Have to see more of it to know for sure.

Reactions: Mike_H
Glad someone else mentioned it. Looks like that frame has already been repaired (poorly, I might add). I'd walk away.

Also, a dead giveaway for paint on the frame is the color of the bolt head. Those are silver from the factory.

Glad someone else mentioned it. Looks like that frame has already been repaired (poorly, I might add). I'd walk away.

Also, a dead giveaway for paint on the frame is the color of the bolt head. Those are silver from the factory.

Guy dropped price to 5k. Worth anything there? Any option to fix the frame and estimated repairs?

rust converter does fuck all

Correct. Rust is the conversion...and once it starts, removal is the only way to properly fix it. There is no converting rust to something else. Even if there was, the remaining material would have no value structurally.