Front recovery point advice

Srogers71

So I have this older stinger I got for my build. No recovery places. I had 2 ideas. Welded Triangle clevis as shown front, but I’m hesitant gonna be relying on multiple other welds. Or long clevis on side up against frame/bumper end. maybe another bolt towards rear of it somehow. I’m just a glorified trail/creek kinda guy. no rock crawling. Was even thinking of saying heck with it go lazy route and buy the Bolt on top hooks.

49FC1119-7B9B-4436-B00E-464450ADDB62.jpeg

00C68A82-B002-470E-99A8-486EFA0879E6.jpeg

hooks bolted to the frame would be better than a surface mounted weld on, those should be through and welded on both sides.
Hooks. And if the stinger is in the way of the hooks, cut the stinger off.
Ya starting to get that feeling after putting the stinger on. Looks cool. But as I’m moving along I was like ok recovery points what the heck. Lol. Function over fashion for sure.

Ya starting to get that feeling after putting the stinger on. Looks cool. But as I’m moving along I was like ok recovery points what the heck. Lol. Function over fashion for sure.
Stingers are almost always fashion that are unable to serve any function.
20200422_150809.jpg

Reactions: rasband
That surface welded tab would be bad news as a recovery point. Go with something bolted on like tow hooks under the bumper bolts with the T-55 heads on them. All you'd need for the hooks are a pair of 1" longer Grade 8 1/2-13 anodized bolts to replace the top bumper bolts.

when i was drivin it into work everyday at 4am through the boonies........i didn't mind the bar offering me not to have to take a 200# deer flat into the grill.

Reactions: WSS and Irun
when i was drivin it into work everyday at 4am through the boonies........i didn't mind the bar offering me not to have to take a 200# deer flat into the grill.
I am in rural Arkansas and have hit 2 deer this year. Hard even when ya know where they cross. Got lucky slowed down last one and it rolled over my front quarter panel and bounce off my windshield no damage.

That surface welded tab would be bad news as a recovery point. Go with something bolted on like tow hooks under the bumper bolts with the T-55 heads on them. All you'd need for the hooks are a pair of 1" longer Grade 8 1/2-13 anodized bolts to replace the top bumper bolts.
I’m gonna go with the tow hooks. And make sure I got the proper bolts!

1639462664723.jpeg

I’d drill two holes in that piece you’re holding there (the same side your thumb is touching), and bolt it flat to the top two bumper/frame bolts. Then I’d relieve the edges of the hole that the shackle goes through. Then I’d get a soft shackle or two to stow away for recovery…

View attachment 296200
I’d drill two holes in that piece you’re holding there (the same side your thumb is touching), and bolt it flat to the top two bumper/frame bolts. Then I’d relieve the edges of the hole that the shackle goes through. Then I’d get a soft shackle or two to stow away for recovery…
I was going to say the same thing!!!

Reactions: MichaelGH
If you go with the bolt mounted hooks (OEM Style) I would caution you to not let anyone snatch you out of a bad spot. I was stuck years ago (back in 2007) in the mud and when I was snatched out it also pulled the welded frame nut through the frame.

Clevis, shackles, d- rings are a total hassle to use. So much easier to slip a tow strap over a hook. Especially annoying to screw around with one when it is cold out and icy/frozen.

Reactions: Irun
Might I recommended a winch

no doubt. Winch is in-line. Been working on this one for a year. Got a good deal on it. Had front end damage. But so far I have had to replace
Front grill
Intake manifold
Water pump
Tie rods, drag link etc
Ignition switch
Tumbler
Auto lock front axle
Bigger tires for reasons
My wallet is starting to hurt big time.