Front seat replacement suggestions

Bernie

Hi all,
I am looking to replace the front seats as well since they are very worn out. I was looking at the Mastercraft Baja RS. Does anybody have any experience with those seats? How are front seats from Bestop, Rugged Ridge, Courbeau, Smittybilt? I am looking for comfort first and foremost and also front seats that don't require a lot of customization or fabrication, basically seats that can bolt directly to the existing riser and slider. Any suggestions? As always thank you for your invaluable input.

The MasterCraft Baja RS are really comfortable I would have bought them except I felt the backs were too low for me. I talked to mastercraft and they recommended finding a taller seat. I’m 6’5” tall so I went with the PRP Enduro elites with the +4” height. As for longevity I would stay away from the other seats you mentioned I had a set of corbeau seats and they didn’t last me but about 2.5-3 years for the driver side anyway so I got rid of them. Both the fabric and foam was shot. I’ve seen others with the cheaper seats fall apart also. I would stick with a suspension seat anyway for comfort just get the lower more daily driver friendly side bolster height models and you will be happy

Reactions: DrDmoney
Hi Rescue6,
Thank you for your reply. I have the opposite problem, I am only 5'8" and I have to adjust the current OEM seats very close to the steering wheel in order for me to be able to reach the clutch pedal and be able to press it all the way down. I was told that the MasterCraft seats will be sitting 1" higher than the OEM seats, that is a problem for me since I am close to the steering wheel as it is, now I will have to sit even closer to the steering wheel which will make driving very uncomfortable. Also, how was the installation for the PRP seats, was it easy, can you just bolt them on onto the existing riser and slider or does it require custom fabrication or additional brackets? Does the side bolsters make it more difficult to get in and out of the Jeep, that might be a concern for me since I am only 5'8". Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Rescue6,
Thank you for your reply. I have the opposite problem, I am only 5'8" and I have to adjust the current OEM seats very close to the steering wheel in order for me to be able to reach the clutch pedal and be able to press it all the way down. I was told that the MasterCraft seats will be sitting 1" higher than the OEM seats, that is a problem for me since I am close to the steering wheel as it is, now I will have to sit even closer to the steering wheel which will make driving very uncomfortable. Also, how was the installation for the PRP seats, was it easy, can you just bolt them on onto the existing riser and slider or does it require custom fabrication or additional brackets? Does the side bolsters make it more difficult to get in and out of the Jeep, that might be a concern for me since I am only 5'8". Thanks
Honestly I think the 1”higher you might like as it would give you better view over the long hood. On the PRP seats you need a small adapter bracket I think they were like $45 per side. I’m not sure how tall your jeep is but mine is really tall. I’m on 37” tires and 4.5” lift. As far as the pros or the mastercraft baja RS seats. I would have bought the mastercraft seats if they had been tall enough. I just like the look of them and how comfortable they are. I like my prp seats and I was able to completely customize the colors and materials on them. But they were also more expensive. The bolsters are fine for me but some suspension seats have really tall side bolsters I would stay away from those

My wife had trouble reaching pedals so I installed pedal extensions, they work great.

Definitely add PRP to your short-list of desirable seat manufacturers. I'd remove both Smittybilt and Bestop as candidates, both are cheaply made and imported from China. As much as I like Bestop products in general, I'm no fan of their seats after having my first set start coming apart under the upholstery. They sent me a replacement driver's seat under warranty and it too failed in the same way within the first year.

PRP is one of the only US manufacturers, they're entirely manufactured here in California. Though they require mounting brackets, they do mount to the OE seat bases. Here's a writeup on installing my PRP Daily Driver seats...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ortable-seats-with-prp-suspension-seats.9905/

It was between PRP and MasterCraft Baja RS’s when I was looking. PRP didn’t have a reclining seat back then so I went MasterCraft, They are both suspension seats. PRP has a recliner now. PRP are notoriously comfortable. Both are $$$.

Reactions: rasband
Hey gang,
Looking at the PRP seats, my question is how do they affect back seat entry and exit? Its not my DD but the kids do like to ride in it and since they are 12 & 13 now losing to much entry room would be a pain, luckily it's an LJ so they have a few more inches to,work with. Thanks!

If you get the reclining seats they fold and can be moved forward enough to get in. I’m not sure about the fixed seats.

Definitely add PRP to your short-list of desirable seat manufacturers. I'd remove both Smittybilt and Bestop as candidates, both are cheaply made and imported from China. As much as I like Bestop products in general, I'm no fan of their seats after having my first set start coming apart under the upholstery. They sent me a replacement driver's seat under warranty and it too failed in the same way within the first year.

PRP is one of the only US manufacturers, they're entirely manufactured here in California. Though they require mounting brackets, they do mount to the OE seat bases. Here's a writeup on installing my PRP Daily Driver seats...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ortable-seats-with-prp-suspension-seats.9905/
Excellent article, Jerry. Thank you. I am getting ready to order my PRP seats today. I can drive down to Murrietta, however I think I am sold on the Daily Driver for the same reasons you were. Question: how does the 24" version fit in your passenger side? I am considering the larger version on my driver's side (2000 TJ) for comfort, but my measurements tell me that would be super tight. Appreciate your input.

Excellent article, Jerry. Thank you. I am getting ready to order my PRP seats today. I can drive down to Murrietta, however I think I am sold on the Daily Driver for the same reasons you were. Question: how does the 24" version fit in your passenger side? I am considering the larger version on my driver's side (2000 TJ) for comfort, but my measurements tell me that would be super tight. Appreciate your input.
If you need the extra-wide seat then you need it and it will "fit". But the wide Daily Driver seat makes for a very tight fit and you may have a little trouble opening the console lid fully. I wish I had stayed with the standard width seat for the passenger side.

If you need the extra-wide seat then you need it and it will "fit". But the wide Daily Driver seat makes for a very tight fit and you may have a little trouble opening the console lid fully. I wish I had stayed with the standard width seat for the passenger side.
Excellent. That is just was I was thinking. I think I will be just fine with the standard 22" seat. Thanks again Jerry!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have installed MC seats in our last 2 YJ and TJ.

My daughter is pretty short and when she drives the seat is forward but not uncomfortably so for her.

The issue with the taller seat position can be steering wheel clearance getting in and out when the seat is forward.