FRP tuning for 97-06 TJs

If there's a money back guaranty on the gains, I'm in. If not, I'll leave the rich kids to their expensive toys. Torque is important for Va mud. HP means nothing to my type of wheeling.

p.s. On another forum, there's a 12-15 HP claim from an exhaust vender with "proven" results (so they say). People will believe what they want to. I still believe my Tornado gave my 10 HP and 5 MPG gains in my Scion. I bet it works just as good on a Jeep for $25 on Ebay. I watched the videos that prove it.
tornadoair (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
One question I had about tunes like these in general. Do they reduce engine operating safety margins when operating in more extreme conditions? Such as high altitude, extreme cold (-40-) or extreme heat (110+)? Or in extended high demand situations, like climbing long hills on the freeway at full throttle near redline?

I’d consider one, but I plan to eventually go a wide variety of different places, and I certainly don’t want to sacrifice reliability.

Watching this thread. Definitely something I could see in my future and being only about a hour from the Houston shop.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Im interested in doing this in the future. Considering investing in the sct tuner and then ordering the canned tune. Is the sct 3x the only device that works? What other devices would work?

Im interested in doing this in the future. Considering investing in the sct tuner and then ordering the canned tune. Is the sct 3x the only device that works? What other devices would work?
I learned a long time ago the answer to this is "which ever one your tuner is familiar with." I would go with the SCT if that's what Ryan sells.

Reactions: Jramos013
I learned a long time ago the answer to this is "which ever one your tuner is familiar with." I would go with the SCT if that's what Ryan sells.

im thinking since this is something that I will just use to upload the tune and probably never messed with it again, getting a used tuner instead of a more expensive one with all the bells and whistles.

So as a guy that knows nothing about tuning or tuners, what would I need to order from you for my stock 2005 4.0 6spd? I've had quick looks at tuners in the past, but the cost to get stuff to Canada has been damn near the cost of the tuner itself.
Hi Derek- I do alot of work north of the border- unfortunately shipping and customs cost has really made it cost-prohibitive.

You'd need an HPTuners MPVI2 + 2 credits, and my canned tune package.

Reactions: derekmac and Chris
Syked was one I think he used for a bit though. I'm sure he'll chime in.
I use SCT, Syked, HPT, and Diablo. EDIT: and HPtuners. Sorry. Long day

98% of my tuning for this platform is done thru SCT and HPTuners.
Diablo does not support 97-04 (and their 05-06 support is meh at best), and Syked, while great software, is not remote-tuning friendly.

Last edited:
@Flyin' Ryan Performance , any chance of a coupon code for the wranglertjforum.com community?

I actually think this is a good idea. Great way of giving back to the community, and I think that if you look at how much this forum has helped some of it's sponsors grow (i.e. @Wranglerfix) it's great for business too!

I use SCT, Syked, HPT, and Diablo.

98% of my tuning for this platform is done thru SCT and HPTuners.
Diablo does not support 97-04 (and their 05-06 support is meh at best), and Syked, while great software, is not remote-tuning friendly.
Would any unmarried sct 9500 or 3200 work? The site mentions for jeep 4.0 up to 04. Does the tune works for 05-06 models?

Last edited:
If there's a money back guaranty on the gains, I'm in. If not, I'll leave the rich kids to their expensive toys. Torque is important for Va mud. HP means nothing to my type of wheeling.

p.s. On another forum, there's a 12-15 HP claim from an exhaust vender with "proven" results (so they say). People will believe what they want to. I still believe my Tornado gave my 10 HP and 5 MPG gains in my Scion. I bet it works just as good on a Jeep for $25 on Ebay. I watched the videos that prove it.
View attachment 220949
I bet you're fun to have around at parties...!

Some light reading in the earlier posts would have disspelled most of your skepticism.
Horsepower is a mathematical derivative of torque , multiplied by rpm. Without torque...There is no horsepower.
In our own testing we tested from 1500 to 5500 rpm and saw significant gains across the entire rpm range tested. The only reason we did not see gains lower....is because I did not deem it necessary to start the dyno runs lower.
Cleaning up fueling and adding timing, while reducing PCM-induced "nannies" that limit torque production is bound to increase power by some amount. We are not adding a sheetmetal flap in front of the throttle body and promising that it'll make you better looking and win the respect of your peers.

I don't offer money-back guarantees because after 10 years of doing this- thousands of happy customers- I don't need to. For one, I don't get a "Refund" back on my time. The calibrations are make/model/trans/emissions cert/pcm PN# specific, they are anything but generic.
Tuning isn't for everyone.
What I offer is extensively tested and shaken down through not just anecdotal feedback ("yeah, it feels great!") but before/after on a loaded chassis dyno long before it is ever offered up for public consumption. Not only that- but most of our tunes are backed up by me personally driving the vehicle for days/weeks at a time. If it doesn't pass muster with me- it doesn't get sold.

Our 4.0 canned tunes specifically were centered around a personal friend's 04 TJ that I drove every day for a week. I was blown away by how slow this Jeep was to rev (manual trans) and how gutless it was.
After we arrived at a final calibration, I was very pleased with its newfound drivability and how much quicker it free-rev'd under normal, every day conditions. The owner agreed with my assessment and has since referred several customers to me based on his experiences.

Reactions: derekmac and L J
One question I had about tunes like these in general. Do they reduce engine operating safety margins when operating in more extreme conditions? Such as high altitude, extreme cold (-40-) or extreme heat (110+)? Or in extended high demand situations, like climbing long hills on the freeway at full throttle near redline?

I’d consider one, but I plan to eventually go a wide variety of different places, and I certainly don’t want to sacrifice reliability.
These are great questions.

One thing to keep in mind, is that these Jeeps do not have knock sensors.
The OEM strategy relies heavily on "timing modifiers" to both add and subtract timing based on Barometric Pressure, Coolant Temp, and Intake Temps.

I get rid of the positive modifiers- So the timing follows as I command it- and will not add timing on top- and leave the negative modifiers in place so the PCM can still pull timing as it deems it needs to based on conditions present. Given the lack of active spark knock control, I feel Chrysler's engineers did a pretty solid job of knowing when to pull timing, and how much to pull by. So why reinvent the wheel.

I have made north of 300whp+ on a stock 4.0 longblock and have never had an engine failure that could be attributed to tuning.
As far as engine failures, period, I've had 2 failures- both on turbo applications- one had the wastegate line freeze due to extreme cold and saw a boost spike well north of what we tuned for, and the other was a non-intercooled/water meth injected build that had a water/meth pump fail, which lead to going lean on 12 psi...You can picture what happened from there.

I would put my 4.0 tunes against anyone's , performed in person or otherwise.

The cost of entry (needing to buy a handheld) is keeping my from buying a tune for the jeep right now. I tuned my Colorado, and all I needed was the tune and a cable. Cost me about 350 bucks, IIRC. Used my laptop to tune the vehicle and it was all remote as well.

I look up the tune and a programmer, and its 600 bucks. I don't think your canned tune price is out of line...I just wish there were another way to get it into the PCM.

This is why im asking with what tuner would the canned tune work. You can find used sct handheld units for less than 200.
The cost of entry (needing to buy a handheld) is keeping my from buying a tune for the jeep right now. I tuned my Colorado, and all I needed was the tune and a cable. Cost me about 350 bucks, IIRC. Used my laptop to tune the vehicle and it was all remote as well.

I look up the tune and a programmer, and its 600 bucks. I don't think your canned tune price is out of line...I just wish there were another way to get it into the PCM.

Hi everyone, Ryan at Flyin' Ryan Performance here.

Some of you may know us, some maybe not .
We specialize in Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler engine and transmission calibration, from 96 model year to present day. We have been doing so since 2011.
As it pertains to this forum, I cover the 97 (96.5 if you really want to split hairs) thru 06 TJ. YES this includes the 2.4 and 2.5.

We have been tuning these engines for the last 10 years. We have held the pump gas 4.0-based HP and 1/4 mile record , while still running a factory controller. We have held such records for 5 years running.

What makes FRP unique , aside from our dedication to excellence and extensive background specific to these platforms, is the fact we specialize in tuning these Jeeps remotely.
Gone are the days of having to do hit-and-miss mail order flashes to the tune of 400.00 a pop. No more piggyback controllers, or aux injectors that constantly fight the factory controller.
I have tuned Jeeps in 14 different countries and understand how to extract maximum safe power on a given fuel for a given application.

The gist of the process consists of:
1) buy a package off of our website- canned tunes are for stock or bolt on Jeeps, more modified Jeeps need custom tuning
2) With SCT you would load the base (or canned) tune, with HPTuners you would send us the tune from your Jeep specifically
3) after loading a base tune, datalog based on our instructions
4) I will send a revised tune - load and datalog
5) rinse, lather, repeat- canned tunes usually require no revising, custom NA or Boost tunes usually require 5-7 tunes from start to finish.

If you have a badass stroker engine, huge cam, want to run E85 or 15 psi of boost.....we can tune for it! FRP is the only OEM controller solution where drivability is not compromised in a highly modified application.

For those of you looking for in-person tuning, we have facilities in both Houston, and Tyler Texas. I am located at the Houston facility, Tyler is a satellite facility where I remote tune anything that comes in.

I am not much for forums - not much time for it these days, but I'll try to answer any questions that come up.

Regards,
Ryan Hogan
Owner, Flyin' Ryan Performance
The Woodlands, Texas
Ok, I’ll give it go. Ryan you’re in The Woodlands I’m in Kingwood, do I need to make an appointment or just show up? I can be there tomorrow afternoon whenever I get back from the VA downtown. Looking forward to making this happen! Wheelies at random? Hell yeah!

Glad to see you on the forum. I’ve heard great things about your work regarding the 5.2/5.9 Magnum motors and Chris raves about the improvement your tune made on his 4.0. I’ll definitely use your tune in the future.

Reactions: Wildman