Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

STICKY FSM (Factory Service Manual) Corrections

AndyG

TJ Guru
Lifetime Supporting Member
My approach to fuel capacity before a trail ride is just like it is before an airplane ride- Fill the blame thing up!!

someguysjeep

simple guy
Some FSMs list the torque for the Dana 30 and Dana 44 ring gear bolts (most are 3/8-24) as 100 ft/lbs. This is incorrect, any engineering textbook will tell you the correct torque for a grade 8 3/8-24 bolt is around 50 ft/lbs.

https://www.almabolt.com/pages/catalog/bolts/tighteningtorque.htm

this was brought up recently in another post about loose ring gear bolts IIRC.............. scares the crap out of me, the JK Dana 44 axles some of us are using have FSM ring gear torque values stated at 135 ft lbs.
the torque for a 1/2" gr8 bolt is like 80# and your between 9/16 and 5/8 to hit that 135# mark.
are they really stupid enough to keep making the same mistakes over and over in different FSM's? i even called RGA b4 i did this trying to confirm this info......all they said was their stuff could handle it, not whether it was right or wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition

IOwnCalculus

this was brought up recently in another post about loose ring gear bolts IIRC.............. scares the crap out of me, the JK Dana 44 axles some of us are using have FSM ring gear torque values stated at 135 ft lbs.
the torque for a 1/2" gr8 bolt is like 80# and your between 9/16 and 5/8 to hit that 135# mark.

Are the ring gear bolts torque-to-yield?

someguysjeep

simple guy
Are the ring gear bolts torque-to-yield?

IDK honestly, when looked for this spec everything i found said 135#. so that's what i did, even had to make a gizmo to hold the locker so i could get that much force to the bolts.

what scares the crap out of me is i stumbled into another torque list months later that said 135Nm and i'm worried everything i found was bad info copied from 1 bad source to another.
TBH IDK if i ever looked at an official JK FSM, i googled it and read through several JK torque rate lists and they all said the same thing as far as i recall. i didn't feel right about it and made calls to try and figure it out but nobody gave me a straight answer.

either way it's done and i'll have to suffer the mistake if it is. the axle still needs some break in miles and an oil change so i'll definitely inspect them when i get back in there.

here is 1 of the lists i saved because it had multiple axle info on it (from crawlapedia).

gear spec.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Apparition