Body plate code anomaly question

Caspian1911

Supporting Member
In reference to 97 TJ 4.0 sport 3 speed automatic.
I'm a real noob to jeeps so please bare with me. but i could really use some help answering some questions that have come up in my search. so I'm looking for a transmission. big dollar investment in my build. must get it right you all know what i mean. research research research
I'm absolutely certain i have a 3 speed automatic but 97 TJ service manual only lists 42rle its a 4spd. first big ?
I cant seem to see the transmission code plate without a bunch of wrenching so I'm looking at the body code plate and the transmission code matches nothing i can find DGA??
I am mostly certain that I have a 32RH but I need to be sure. does anyone have any literature references that could help or does anyone recognize the DGA code
Do I have an oddball jeep??
I appreciate any help that is available Thanks all

20211120_081023.jpg

In reference to 97 TJ 4.0 sport 3 speed automatic.
I'm a real noob to jeeps so please bare with me. but i could really use some help answering some questions that have come up in my search. so I'm looking for a transmission. big dollar investment in my build. must get it right you all know what i mean. research research research
I'm absolutely certain i have a 3 speed automatic but 97 TJ service manual only lists 42rle its a 4spd. first big ?
I cant seem to see the transmission code plate without a bunch of wrenching so I'm looking at the body code plate and the transmission code matches nothing i can find DGA??
I am mostly certain that I have a 32RH but I need to be sure. does anyone have any literature references that could help or does anyone recognize the DGA code
Do I have an oddball jeep??
I appreciate any help that is available Thanks all

View attachment 292091
If you are using the 97 manual down loaded from the Resource section on here, it is wrong for the 97.

I got one from Tristar that's been smooth as silk for 4000 miles so far. https://www.tristarengines.com/

I would suggest a couple things from my experience searching for mine. First, look up the company and see who they are. The first transmission I found, I looked up the company and they were based in India. It might have been fine, they probably have a US branch, but you never know how a warranty claim would work on something like that. Someone on here was looking at a transmission company that didn't actually build them, they just found and shipped them from wherever they could find them. Their website was all stock photos of cars and trucks. I don't know if he got it or what his experience was. Again, they might have been fine, he could have ended up with a transmission from Tristar through them, but it's another layer of people to deal with.

Look into their warranty. When it comes to transmissions, if it's bad it will usually go bad soon after install. If it lasts a month or two, it will probably last for years, so I personally don't see much difference between a 2 and 3 year warranty. But the details of the warranty are important. Some only cover a new transmission, some cover like $20 an hour labor, and others cover everything from $100/hr labor fluids and a rental car.

Talk to them. You might get them to come down on price or shipping or upgrade the warranty. Also make sure they have one in stock or ready to build.

Wow thanks Rattler. I will be looking at Tristar I have to say I am very greatfull for the helpful voices on this forum I will become a supporting member as a thank you for the help you have given
Thanks

If you are using the 97 manual down loaded from the Resource section on here, it is wrong for the 97.

So this is incorrect for the '97? https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/1997-jeep-wrangler-service-manual-pdf.308365/

What is the correct one? I'm trying to recreate my body code plate (and other VIN stickers, vehicle was stolen and recovered 5 months later with most ID striped) and I can't figure out if the code would have been DGA or DGG. The Build Sheet Sales Code Description provided by Jeep has both:

DGA ALL 3-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
DGGS 3-SPD. AUTOMATIC 32RH TRANSMISSION

and the Service Information has:

Transmission:DGG-3-SPD. AUTOMATIC 32RH TRANSMISSION

So I would think maybe DGG, but then why does this guy's '97 body code plate have DGA? Would mine have as well?

So this is incorrect for the '97? https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/1997-jeep-wrangler-service-manual-pdf.308365/

What is the correct one? I'm trying to recreate my body code plate (and other VIN stickers, vehicle was stolen and recovered 5 months later with most ID striped) and I can't figure out if the code would have been DGA or DGG. The Build Sheet Sales Code Description provided by Jeep has both:

So I would think maybe DGG, but then why does this guy's '97 body code plate have DGA? Would mine have as well?

DGA would cover the 30RH and 32RH and the DGGS would only cover the 32RH.

I have a hard-copy 97 FSM if you need me to look anything up. Just PM me.

DGA would cover the 30RH and 32RH and the DGGS would only cover the 32RH.

I'm still not understanding why my build sheet would have both DGA and DDG or why the '97 service manual lists DDG and not DGA as a code, but the original poster has DGA on his body plate code.

I'm trying to figure out what mine would have said with the information I can find.

I have a hard-copy 97 FSM if you need me to look anything up. Just PM me.

I just joined, I have no idea how to PM someone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the top lines on the body code plate. All I can find is:

"There are seven lines of information on the body code plate . Lines 4, 5, 6, and 7 are not used to define service information . Information reads from left to right, starting with line 3 in the center of the plate to line 1 at the bottom of the plate (Fig. 3)."

I think that @Chris has a thread about how to interpret it. But yes, when I get my hands on my FSM again, I'm happy to look up the answer.

I know its not much help but I still have not figured out what the DGA code signifies. I stopped looking after about a month maybe a dealership can help. Sorry...

I know its not much help but I still have not figured out what the DGA code signifies. I stopped looking after about a month maybe a dealership can help. Sorry...

My experience is that dealerships are not helpful. Police were also not helpful when it was stolen, they tried to blow me off by saying it was likely on a RoRo headed to Africa. Pro tip: hide an Apple Airtag or Tile in your vehicle. If I had, it wouldn't have taken me 5 months to get my Jeep back.

My experience is that dealerships are not helpful. Police were also not helpful when it was stolen, they tried to blow me off by saying it was likely on a RoRo headed to Africa. Pro tip: hide an Apple Airtag or Tile in your vehicle. If I had, it wouldn't have taken me 5 months to get my Jeep back.

Oh wow so sorry. I hope they didn't beat it up to badly on you. mine is still in restoration but once road worthy I will absolutely do that I'm in south Florida. I can see that being a problem. It's been a big investment. Thanks for the tip.

Oh wow so sorry. I hope they didn't beat it up to badly on you. mine is still in restoration but once road worthy I will absolutely do that I'm in south Florida. I can see that being a problem. It's been a big investment. Thanks for the tip.

Radio, rear glass, three wheels, surf rack, battery, and catalytic converter stolen, steering column torn apart, door locks broken. Body was fine, nothing else mechanically damaged. ID stickers on doors and door frame destroyed, dashboard VIN plate, body code plate, and license plate stolen.

• Angry
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper