Fuel pump: cost vs benefit

Boinked

TJ Expert
So tomorrow morning i am swapping my fuel tank and skid plate. Now im having a a issue deciding on whether or not to just swap the fuel pump over or just drop a new one in. As finding a Bosch one is a long wait time and an expensive purchase do to them being discontinued. I would have to go with an aftermarket pump. If i were to go that route.

I do not know what is currently in the tank. Who knows what the PO did or if it was ever changed. But 190k on the clock im sure it was replaced at least once.

Im open to opinions on this.

But 190k on the clock im sure it was replaced at least once.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Mine was a one-owner rig with 204,000 miles on it, and it still has the original fuel pump in it. Fortunately for me, I found a Bosch fuel pump on sale (something like $50 off the regular price) right before the news got around that they were being discontinued. I'm replacing mine for two reasons. First, the high mileage means it's likely just a matter of time before the original fails. Secondly, the sending unit is already giving me wildly erratic readings at the gauge. Sometimes it's almost full, and other times it's showing an almost empty tank. It's hit-or-miss. May as well replace it.
If I were you, I'd really push to find a Bosch unit, even if it means paying a little more for it. Then I'd change it out at the first sign of trouble with the one you have in there, now. Just my two cents worth. ;)

By the way, I found two stores in my general area that say they still have the Bosch fuel pump in stock. That's two out of eight stores, I believe. If you're interested, I can check on these for you. Figure it'll eat up the better part of $300 for one. Just let me know...

By the way, I found two stores in my general area that say they still have the Bosch fuel pump in stock. That's two out of eight stores, I believe. If you're interested, I can check on these for you. Figure it'll eat up the better part of $300 for one. Just let me know...
After reading this i called a few places. And i did find it locally. At advanced auto. But i do appreciate the offer. I think im going to pick one up and store it until mine goes out. Unless i find something that looks like it is bad with the one currently in the tank.

Reactions: Squatch
Well well well. What did i find.
15367648440098102847322388294890.jpg

Looks like im going to switch it out. Im not sure i want to trust this pump.

Fuel pump on TJs are as bullet proof as the 4.0 engine.
Mostly, engine goes first at 400k+ miles before the fuel pump.

I don't know about that.. my fuel pump went out back in 2012. I have an 05.

In fact.. my fuel pump and heater blower are the only things that failed.

Fuel pump on TJs are as bullet proof as the 4.0 engine.
Mostly, engine goes first at 400k+ miles before the fuel pump.
Not hardly, the need to replace our TJ fuel pumps is a daily subject on the various forums. Especially due to leaky check valves in them causing very slow starts. I have replaced at least four in 22 years on my two TJs.

Not hardly, the need to replace our TJ fuel pumps is a daily subject on the various forums. Especially due to leaky check valves in them causing very slow starts. I have replaced at least four in 22 years on my two TJs.
I stand corrected. I got this info from a long time buddy and now as I recall (my bad), we were talking about the fuel filters. I also (knock on woods) have both mine over 200k now and still pumpin'

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So tomorrow morning i am swapping my fuel tank and skid plate. Now im having a a issue deciding on whether or not to just swap the fuel pump over or just drop a new one in. As finding a Bosch one is a long wait time and an expensive purchase do to them being discontinued. I would have to go with an aftermarket pump. If i were to go that route.

I do not know what is currently in the tank. Who knows what the PO did or if it was ever changed. But 190k on the clock im sure it was replaced at least once.

Im open to opinions on this.
Before you do anything check your recall history with any Jeep Dealer. (VIN)
There is a recall for the 97 jeep fuel pump assy. I found out by accident.
If your 97 has never had this recall performed well guess what, u get a new fuel pump free courtesy of a Jeep recall.
Recalls do not expire.

It was done. Unfortunately. But the new pump it in. The massively heavy skid plate is up and waiting for me to stop being lazy to stop and finish tightening the nuts. And god was it a heavy beast.

Probably be done tomorrow. I have been real lazy.

Edit.... i did gain 1 inch of ground clearance

Reactions: tomtaylz and KCsTJ
My 99 wrangler, 4.0 L ,straight 6, manual, only 96000 miles on it, fuel pump died….. is that normal?
I bought it at 70000 miles on it.

My 99 wrangler, 4.0 L ,straight 6, manual, only 96000 miles on it, fuel pump died….. is that normal?

You're saying you put a new pump, or a new assembly in at 70k and it died at 96k? How long, time wise? What brand pump or assembly? How did you determine it was dead?

-Mac

Before you do anything check your recall history with any Jeep Dealer. (VIN)
There is a recall for the 97 jeep fuel pump assy. I found out by accident.
If your 97 has never had this recall performed well guess what, u get a new fuel pump free courtesy of a Jeep recall.
Recalls do not expire.

They can replace it as part of the recall but the quality part has to exist, and that’s not always the case for fuel pump.

It's less about mileage and more about age and quality of fuel that has been run in the Jeep. I wouldn't say that it's normal for a fuel pump to go out with under 100k miles on it but your Jeep is 25 years old...

Reactions: LONGJP2