Fuel Pump Options?

WestCoastDan

TJ Addict
I know this topic comes up fairly often, but with changes in the availability of aftermarket options (and supply chain issues, etc.), I'm interested in learning what is currently out there.
I have a 2003 factory tank which has never been dropped.
The Jeep is getting harder and harder to start as it gets older.
By hard start, I mean it isn't getting sufficient fuel pressure and it makes you think it isn't going to fire, then it finally cracks to life.
I usually allow the pump to charge the system for a few seconds before turning the key to start, but that isn't giving me the confidence that I would like to have.

I have not officially diagnosed the fuel system yet, as I have been more focused on the brake issue right now, but I know what's next on the list.

What direct-fit options are new to the market, and what alternatives are there to using the conventional pump assembly?

For instance (I'm just spit-balling here);
1- Can we just add an aftermarket, in-line, electric pump to supplement the weak factory unit?
2- Can we modify another pump (like maybe a pump from a Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevy, etc.) to fit in our tanks?
3- Can we rebuild the factory pumps?
4- Has a reliable aftermarket replacement been released recently?
5- What about an aftermarket tank with a completely different pump assembly?

I really don't want to get stranded with a Jeep that won't start, especially after dumping several hundred into putting new brakes on it.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
For instance (I'm just spit-balling here);
1- Can we just add an aftermarket, in-line, electric pump to supplement the weak factory unit?
2- Can we modify another pump (like maybe a pump from a Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chevy, etc.) to fit in our tanks?
3- Can we rebuild the factory pumps?
4- Has a reliable aftermarket replacement been released recently?
5- What about an aftermarket tank with a completely different pump assembly?

1- Yes there are inline options available, but you would have to run a regulator and a return (as the factory should have in the first place if they weren't so cheap).
2- Yes if the top was the same size and the pressure similar you could modify another pump assembly to fit. I happen to know that the earlier pump unit is the same diameter as several other Chrysler made vehicles made around that time.
3- You can install an aftermarket universal pump into a factory housing. I have done it and it works with some compromises.
4- I think it depends on who you ask. In my experience most aftermarket companies make inferior quality products when compared to the OE.
5- Sure, you could run a fuel cell or aluminum welded tank, but it's unnecessary unless you need it for safety or increased volume.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
I’d get the Delphi complete pump kit and replace it. It’s not hard to drop the tank….just do it when the level is as low as you dare to go. When you remove the pump, empty the tank of all the gas in it so you assemble it dry. It’s easy to reinstall especially if there is no gas in it.