Gear pattern: a different perspective

Peppergat

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I finally have gotten around to doing the gear swap on my Dana 30/35 and building the super 35. It’s been a long time since I’ve done this and , I suppose I’m a little overwhelmed and starting to chase my tail a bit. Thought I’d post a few pictures and get a different perspective as to what is going on with me gear pattern on the 35.
These are of my last attempt.
B864BB18-197B-42B9-B463-5A93C032D850.jpeg

9EC4B112-EAF8-4F40-B60C-5E726F74248F.jpeg

Tell us what your backlash is too. That pattern is too deep. Make a big change now (10 thou) and find "too shallow". Then you know what your parameters are.

Don't run a pattern unless your backlash is in spec.

My backlash was at .007 . According to revolution its spec is between.006 and .015 so , I was aiming for the middle.

My backlash was at .007 . According to revolution its spec is between.006 and .015 so , I was aiming for the middle.

Try to open the backlash up a bit, shoot for 9 to 10 thou. 7 is still a bit too tight and you can do better. Also agree with everyone else, pinion is too deep, but until you get that backlash dialed in, you can't really know where the pinion will run.

Try to open the backlash up a bit, shoot for 9 to 10 thou. 7 is still a bit too tight and you can do better. Also agree with everyone else, pinion is too deep, but until you get that backlash dialed in, you can't really know where the pinion will run.

10-4. I’ll get back out after work tomorrow and report back.