Gear ratios for 33'' tires

My 02 with the 5 speed runs 33's with 4.56 and I love it. Some here will say 4.88 is better, but there's no way it's better enough to warrant the expense imho. Now if you're coming from some lower numerical ratio, idk. But for me, 4.56 is fantastic.

I'm on 33s with 4.10s, and I wouldn't want to be geared any higher. I think 4.56 and 33s would be perfect for my area, but not a big enough difference to foot that cost. When/if the time comes for me, I'll jump to 4.88.

Reactions: Rickyd
I'm on 33s with 4.10s, and I wouldn't want to be geared any higher. I think 4.56 and 33s would be perfect for my area, but not a big enough difference to foot that cost. When/if the time comes for me, I'll jump to 4.88.

I've wheeled it a few times in the rocks up in Disney OK and it crawled soooo much better than my 97 (32RH, 33's, 3.55's), but I really didn't enjoy wheeling the stick. Except for the really steep descent where i just let the clutch out and it crawled beautifully down the hill. That was amazing.

I'll toss in 2 cents. I also have a 2001 / 4.0 / 5 speed manual. To think about doing it in stages it is really important to know what your current gear set is. If your running 3.07s on stock tires and move to 33's it will be snail sluggish, do it all at the same time. If you have 3.73s and move to 33s it will be tolerable. I ran for almost a year on that combo (3.73/33s), 5th gear is only useful on a flat highway and you will need to down shift on slight hills. When I did my gears, I chose to skip over 4.56 and go to 4.88 because I live just south of you in North Idaho and the little deeper gearing in the mountains here is helpful and I anticipate going to 35s before I am done with my mods. For a 95% road / 5% fire road rig on 33s, 4.56 will be right on the money.

if your just cruising mountain roads to see back country, not getting into deep mud or lifting tires, I highly recommend putting a truetrac LSD in the rear and if you have the bucks, the front is nice to have too but not a big deal. Great LSD in the snow and being gear driven there is no maintenance to speak of.

For the RPM question my 33s measure closer to 32 so I am running just shy of 3000 RPM at 70 on 4.88s, but most of the roads around here are 60 - 65 so I am in the 2600-2700 range most of the time.

That might be 3 cents worth but there you go. Oh welcome to the forum!

Thank you! 4.56 sounds good! That truetrac pushes the $$ up a little too much. I really wanted that and to build a super 35 but just can't justify it for 33's.

I've wheeled it a few times in the rocks up in Disney OK and it crawled soooo much better than my 97 (32RH, 33's, 3.55's), but I really didn't enjoy wheeling the stick. Except for the really steep descent where i just let the clutch out and it crawled beautifully down the hill. That was amazing.

That is the main reason i haven't switched to a 32rh yet. I run my jeep on logging roads with 10%+ grades for miles and it does so much better than my dads 32rh rig. You can smell his brakes at the bottom of a mountain trying to crawl in low.even though its only a few mph.

My high compression stroker is part of it though. It has twice the compression braking out on the highway

• Wow
Reactions: hear