Gear ratios for new tires and lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't we all just get along? The thread was started by Keston to find out about 33's, a 3" lift and gearing for a Jeep that would never see bigger than 33's and mostly street driving with a little mild off roading. Caster chimed in with some good points and a few great pics to illustrate the look that can be expected with 33's and some lift. Next thing you know Keston is no longer participating in the thread but a back and forth on gear ratio keeps going. :(
I don't know who isn't getting along. There will always be some dissent and discord when long held beliefs, albeit incorrect, are challenged with knowledge and understanding. Personally, I'd much rather have some sadness and grumbling over learning something valuable than continuing to promote and or support myths and misconceptions.

This debate has been around Jeeps for as long as I've been on the internet and it started with the jump from 4.56 to the then new 4.88 and all the same crap was said then that is said now about 5.13's and gasp!!! 5.38's.

If one takes a step back, calms their mind and considers how much trouble the gear sellers would be in over selling ratios that were prone to breakage without disclaimers, it gets pretty clear that they aren't the issue you at first thought.

Ok, I'll say it. I'm in love with mrblaine. That was some awesome knowledge bombs.

... I have a TJ, 04, NOT normally aspirated. I drive it like a complete moron and I geared it to 4.88 with 32's. I never drive it that I don't do something dumb in it that would get me a ticket. The gears are just fine.
I can vouch for that first-hand. :D And thank you for your far better explanations and reasoning than what I was able to come up.

I've got an 04 tj auto 33's 4 inch lift, 2 inch body lift, teraflex short sye kit, 4:10. Nice on the hwy. Can get it up to 75 + but It's kinda sketchy at that speed so I keep it around 60 to 70. Has good passing gear but ain't no Porsche. I drive 80 miles round trip everyday and fill up every 4 days. We have some steep and long hills were I live and it takes them pretty good. I've been happy with the set up so far. I'm not too happy with the fabtech lift kit though or their customer service. Teraflex customer service has been the most outgoing and helpful I've ever had to deal with. I think when the time comes to swap kits I'll go with them. This is just my experience with what I have.

The smaller the pinion gear, ie. less teeth, the less tooth contact between the ring and pinion gear. The only issue I ever saw was the 5.71 Toyota pinion from the late 80's to 90's drop out diffs, primarily from Richmond gear. And these were primarily 35+ inch tires. Guys loved to run 36's and 40's back then and would pop the pinion. As I recall there was only about a tooth and a half of contact. We usually recommended the 5.29 and/or drop down the tire size. The fact that a Dana 60 gear set broke shows that anything can be broken. Unless you are doing something nutso you should be fine running the 5.13.

I would be more concerned with the Dana 30 axles before the pinion on either ratio. Those things are tiny, slightly larger than a mans thumb. But even those hold up. I ran a No Slip in my XJ on 33' TSL's on the Rubicon and other fairly hard core trails without failure.

Things break, does not mean they all break or are prone to break. In the current internet day, anything prone to being bad will be well documented.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
You've admitted to that quite often. I can see why you're so angry all the time
Not sure where you are getting that I'm angry??? This is a civil discussion so far. There's been no name calling, pointing fingers at anyone in particular for being dumb nor do I think there is anyone doing so.

That and being observant of the messes folks make of stuff is not the same as an admission of anything. It just means I pay attention and see a bit more than most do. And I truly hope that is how you meant it. It would be sad if you were trying to say something different.

You've admitted to that quite often. I can see why you're so angry all the time
If by "seeing why" means you can understand why some get frustrated by seeing continued bad information spread by those who continue to push back with it, I can agree with that. Otherwise if you knew Blaine personally as I do, you wouldn't say that at all.

Kind of like if I had a yard full of weeds I couldn't get rid of after ever-increasing amounts of effort from repeatedly digging them up followed by repeatedly spraying them with ever increasing amounts of week killer. I'd eventually get to the point of wanting to set the yard on fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: zip04 and Rob5589
. It would be sad if you were trying to say something different.

Read into it what you will.

I can't control how you interpret a reply, just as I can't control how Jerry believes I make blanket statements of absolutes when I say "it's just me" or "I believe"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.