Gears, elocker and axle shafts prices

txbemis69

was last seen escaping the asylum
Supporting Member
price i was quoted for revolution gears, axle shafts and elockers front & rear. labor and parts. this is way over my skill level. does price sound reasonable for todays world?

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

I don't see anything too crazy, $300 to do the break in seems steep but that's it. There is one VERY important thing I saw, it quotes you for chromoly axles for the dana 35. DO NOT run chromoly rear axles! They will get trashed because the Dana 35 uses the axle as a bearing surface and chromoly can't handle it. You need hardened axles in the rear, I believe it's 1541H

I chose their REM finish (isotropic surface finish) and still did a break-in to help ensure a proper break-in. I would do the exact same thing if I did it again just to be safe.

I had plenty of metal dust during the first drain in the rear, and then it looked great after that. I drained the front at the same time and the fluid still looked like new, so I should have waited on the front drain. The front takes longer to break in because it's not under the same amount of load. I'd hold off on changing the front until you've driven at least 2x the rear break-in (and that probably still won't be long be enough).

Imo, this is another good reason to have the REM done (helps ensure you won't have problems if you don't perfectly follow the break-in procedure).

I don't see anything too crazy, $300 to do the break in seems steep but that's it. There is one VERY important thing I saw, it quotes you for chromoly axles for the dana 35. DO NOT run chromoly rear axles! They will get trashed because the Dana 35 uses the axle as a bearing surface and chromoly can't handle it. You need hardened axles in the rear, I believe it's 1541H

understand from reading here about the hardened axle shafts instead of chromoly. thanks for the reminder!

@txbemis69 is the rear going to be a Super35?

1541H shafts for the rear.
Gear sets seem a bit expensive
REM expensive for 1 shop hour.

Interesting comparison possible here. I just received a budget quote for gears front/rear and true trac in rear only. $4500 Canuckbucks. He said 2g of the quote was labor and would probably be less than that if it went well. Just food for thought and some comparison.

Tim

@txbemis69 is the rear going to be a Super35?

1541H shafts for the rear.
Gear sets seem a bit expensive
REM expensive for 1 shop hour.

it’s supposed to be a super 35. need to confirm that with shop. from reading here i understand that 1541h axle shafts are the only way to go. at this price point one can’t afford to do it a second time around. is 1541h shafts, gears and locker all there is to a super 35? have read a lot of info here on the forum but still have lots more to learn about the tj world. any info is much appreciated.

Reactions: JMT
personally, I'd skip the REM finishing. Everything else looks OK...

i live 2 1/2 hours away from this shop and don’t have use of a trailer large enough to tow jeep on, therefore i think the REM finishing is worth the extra cost. shop happens to be the only place i have found that can and is willing do the job.

it’s supposed to be a super 35. need to confirm that with shop. from reading here i understand that 1541h axle shafts are the only way to go. at this price point one can’t afford to do it a second time around. is 1541h shafts, gears and locker all there is to a super 35? have read a lot of info here on the forum but still have lots more to learn about the tj world. any info is much appreciated.

I’m wondering if there are other “bits” that go with the S35.