Gears grinding going into reverse

I used to have the 6 speed and it would do this mostly backing out of the garage. I eventually got a feel for when it wasn't fully in gear and learned to do this less often. Definitely embarrassing if anyone is around to stare in shame. Combine that with a noisy throw out bearing.

Interesting! It worked well for me, but the placebo effect is also a powerful thing as well, so it’s hard to say objectively how much it actually did and how much was in my head.
The fact that you think this way makes me trust your opinion more (for Jeep stuff, not politics 😄).

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
This is normal behavior for the 6-speed transmission. You have to finesse it when going into reverse, trust me (I've owned one).

That and Redline MT-90 makes a huge difference in them with the way they shift.
I wouldn't say its normal, but it is common. Mine would pop out of reverse when you'd start moving. I replaced it (back in 2013 before I knew any other method) with a new MOPAR unit. drove first 1000 miles with conventional oil, then swapped in synthetic... I think it was Royal Purple, not Redline MTL. not a hint of issue since. The swap was done at about 118k miles, and we are at almost 130k now.

For OP, was the TC fully engaged in 4LO? I wonder if your linkage went out of alignment when you did the work?

This is normal behavior for the 6-speed transmission. You have to finesse it when going into reverse, trust me (I've owned one).

That and Redline MT-90 makes a huge difference in them with the way they shift.
MT-90 or MTL?

I hope MTL, because I just bought a gallon of the stuff based on this post:

1610380986897.png

MT-90 for NSG-370
Neither will hurt but I was running MT-90 in mine.

Chrysler calls for MS-9224 for the NSG370.

1610407619108.jpg

MTL meets that specification.

1610407709525.jpg

MT-90 either does not, or has not been evaluated against it.

1610407751572.jpg

MT-90 may do just fine, but MTL is the official application.

I doubt the bump in viscosity would hurt anything. No idea what might be different in the additive package though.

I'm comfortable with my purchase of MTL.

Reactions: Chris
Chrysler calls for MS-9224 for the NSG370.

View attachment 217302

MTL meets that specification.

View attachment 217304

MT-90 either does not, or has not been evaluated against it.

View attachment 217306

MT-90 may do just fine, but MTL is the official application.

I doubt the bump in viscosity would hurt anything. No idea what might be different in the additive package though.

I'm comfortable with my purchase of MTL.
Idk why I thought it met that requirement. I guess I missed that detail when changing my trans fluid since the mt90 was recommended so frequently. It seemed to make a difference but my then new to me 6 speed was probably overdue for a flush anyways. Ill have to try mtl next time to compare them.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Idk why I thought it met that requirement. I guess I missed that detail when changing my trans fluid since the mt90 was recommended so frequently. It seemed to make a difference but my then new to me 6 speed was probably overdue for a flush anyways. Ill have to try mtl next time to compare them.

Eh, it's not realistic to expect anybody to keep all of this stuff straight in our heads. I did come across a few posts talking about using mt90 in hot climates for the extra viscosity. It's entirely possible that the additive packages are identical and that only reason mt90 doesn't meet that spec is because of the viscosity.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
I needed just a hair under 2 qts. So be sure to have that 2nd full qt handy. Also always make sure the fill/check plug can be removed before you open the drain plug. It'll suck finding out after you drain it that you can't get fluid back in!😱

Reactions: Blondie70
I needed just a hair under 2 qts. So be sure to have that 2nd full qt handy. Also always make sure the fill/check plug can be removed before you open the drain plug. It'll suck finding out after you drain it that you can't get fluid back in!😱
Or disassemble the console.. I had console out already when I filled my new trans, so I just added through the gear shift opening. (was really easy to pour from above)

So after reading the whole thread again I decided I check a bunch of stuff. Changed out the fluid to redline after seeing a bunch of you guys praising it. Most of my issue was in 4 lo so I switched out the old linkage to a savvy cable system and think I found my culprit from when I installed the sye over the summer. I was kind of loose towards the shift lever and I possibly might not have been engaged all the way. I put a wrench to everything again just for piece of mind and whatever it was seemed to do the trick for me. I’m still cycling from first than to reverse before I do it but there is no issue anymore. Sounds a lot better too. Thanks for all the information fellas!

I’m a fan of sticking it in second before reverse...every time. A guy said it stops the synchro movement that engine pulses cause ..I don’t know if that’s true, but it helps with grinding reverse.
How can that be better than having it in neutral before reverse? Those who have used non synchro boxes would understand this :) I believe people are to eager to get it from gear stop 2nd to reverse. maybe because I have been driving stick shift all my life I dunno? lol

How can that be better than having it in neutral before reverse? Those who have used non synchro boxes would understand this :) I believe people are to eager to get it from gear stop 2nd to reverse. maybe because I have been driving stick shift all my life I dunno? lol
It's better because is prevents grinding.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I keep hearing about this reverse grinding issue with Jeep 6 speeds. I want to make sure I understand. Are you guys telling me reverse is synchronized and won't grind going into reverse when everything is working properly? And shifting into a forward gear before shifting into reverse is not something normally done?

I keep hearing about this reverse grinding issue with Jeep 6 speeds. I want to make sure I understand. Are you guys telling me reverse is synchronized and won't grind going into reverse when everything is working properly? And shifting into a forward gear before shifting into reverse is not something normally done?
I get zero grinding when shifting to any gear. But then I replaced with a brand new crate trans back in 2013...

When I first got my 6 speed I was grinding in reverse, thought it was the fluid, but then I realized this issue of the unsynchronized reverse. Since then no grinds. Even after putting in first sometimes it still doesn't want to engage reverse. You eventually get a feel for when it's in and when it's just gonna grind. It can be annoying bringing the shifter between first and reverse a couple times in the middle of a parking lot while someone's waiting for you to move lol. Another quirk of this nice driving (to me), but apparently not reliable transmission.

For the record not sure if the gear actually is unsynchronized or just feels that way.

Just c
I'm not suggesting it hasn't done something for someone...but if people want it to be good unless it destroys the tranny it must be working wonders.

Having said that people make the mt-90 out to be some magical fluid for the getrag and it certainly is not. My experience with it was no change and possibly got a tick worse in some. In customers that wanted us to switch their tranny fluid to that stuff the only positive we've noticed was if they were over due for a fluid change in the first place in which I can't award redline a trophy for that. Perhaps to them there was a change and if they think so that's great. I've no vested interest in it other than customer satisfaction. If vegetable oil was a known good getrag lube we'd be advising the customers to switch over to that...for a charge of course ;) .... but none the less we want customers to come back.

If the motorist wants to believe something will work and it hasn't made anything worse it is a win in their eyes.

You can put pixie dust in the Getrag though and it's still a miserable behaving SOB. Reverse is an adventrue. 1st thru 4th is notchy as hell. Maybe not all 4 gears but 1-2 or 2-3 or 4-3 ...
Speaking of notchy though...I swear the prerequisite for Jeep awarding a manual tranny contract to someone is it must be notchy. The AX-15, Nv3550 I swear more are notchy then aren't...although to a lesser degree than the 370...and they don't share the reverse debacle of the getrag.
That and the ax-15 and NV3550 were not car transmissions either. The Getrag is brought to you straight from the little old Chrysler Crossfire. (among others as well)
Even after the update to the reverse situation most still act finicky in reverse. Same old shit. Not going in...jumping out of reverse mid backing up, notchy, flat out grinding getting into a specific gear...
Just curious.....but Jerry Bransford has always post Redline MTL.....not Redline 90. The MTL is what I put in mine and it made a difference. Not a placebo....You either grind or you do not grind. I put mine in and a week later I go and did a good test run thinking about it and no grind etc.

Reverse doesn't have synchros .... it has a "blocking ring" which isn't exactly synchros from what I understand. My 3rd NSG the reverse I have to let off slowly on the clutch and I feel it "Lock" into reverse then it's good to go.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ