Genright 8274 Mount (Looking for weight loss)

Username

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm currently using the Warn 8274 Mount (Warn 8274 Mount Link) with a steel Warn Bumper (Warn Bumper Link). I'm starting to look for places to look to lose weight, and came across this Genright 8274 Mount (Genright 8274 Mount Link). As far as I can tell, the Warn mount weighs 37lbs (various websites), and Genright says theirs is about 10 lbs (email). That's a pretty significant savings. I know I can lose weight going to another winch, but that's not happening. I've already gotten a synthetic line and hawse fairlead to cut some weight.

Should I have any concerns about the Genright design when it comes to strength? The warn mount is very wide, and uses some outer mounting holes. I'd also like to go to an aluminum front bumper at some point, and curious if there would be any issues with the Genright mount with aluminum. Any help is appreciated.

Reactions: John Cooper
The GenRight looks a lot like the MotoBuilt 8274 winch plate.

MotoBuilt recommend to not only bolt it down but also weld it to the bumper.

I would call or email GenRight and ask them.

• Wow
Reactions: Plumber1

I have that one on my LJ. It can be made to work with the stock sway bar and weighs about 22 lb:

1707569790831.jpeg

The Warn 8274 mount was built to work with any flat/ish bumper and with the factory sway bar. That mount like the Genrite has to be used with a bumper that has internal reinforcement and most likely a non stock sway bar.

So I'm planning to eventually ditch the stock swaybar for a swayloc, so that's not an issue. Could you go into more detail on how to internally reinforce the front bumper? I would like to get the savvy aluminum front bumper if they become available again, so that would be the model I'm curious about.

I appreciate everyone's input, this is helpful.

Reactions: Wildman
So I'm planning to eventually ditch the stock swaybar for a swayloc, so that's not an issue. Could you go into more detail on how to internally reinforce the front bumper? I would like to get the savvy aluminum front bumper if they become available again, so that would be the model I'm curious about.

I appreciate everyone's input, this is helpful.

Savvy bumper is going to work fine as it was designed for a winch to be bolted directly to it. What would be nice is if someone made a 8274 bracket like the Motobilt one in aluminum so it could be welded for a clean look.

Guess we could ask Motobilt if they would make a MB2139 out of aluminum ??
Thought there was some issue with bending aluminum ?

I will ask them on Mon. See what they say !!

Last edited:
Guess we could ask Motobilt if they would make a MB2139 out of aluminum ?? Thought there was some issue with bending aluminum ?

Depends on alloy type and the kind of bends you are trying to make with it.

What about welding one up??? It wouldn't look as slick, but it would be light weight.

Reactions: Blackjack
Asked Genrite President Tony Pellegrino today about making the 8274 mount out of aluminum:

Hi Doug,
No, not a good application for aluminum.
Tony Pellegrino

I guess, I agree. Not going to save that much in weight and give up quite a bit of strength.

Asked Genrite President Tony Pellegrino today about making the 8274 mount out of aluminum:

Hi Doug,
Tony Pellegrino

I guess, I agree. Not going to save that much in weight and give up quite a bit of strength.

Ok back to my original plan, when funds permit.

Motobilt stinger bumper and Motobilt 8274 adapter mount.

Hi Doug,
Tony Pellegrino

He is correct if you want to just copy their bolt on bracket as you can’t just take a steel part and replicate it in aluminum and expect good results. I have a friend in Fairbanks the has a metal art shop. One of the things he does is a simple winch anchor for ATVs. He was getting popular enough with these that he started selling then to ATV dealers. One of the dealers asked if he would do a batch in aluminum. He declined knowing it would be a mistake. Fast forward a couple months and the dealer posted up the had aluminum anchors for sale. Not long after that my friend was getting asked if he built them as they were experiencing catastrophic failures in the field.