Genright mini boats on an LJ

Steelyace

Supporting Member
So after weighting all my options for a functioning slider I decided on the Genright mini boats, as they did the best job at checking off the most boxes on my list.

To start with strip off those fender flares
1000001742.jpg

For me I taped off the side up to the door to aid in marking as well as a little protection.
1000002060.jpg

The next part is the scariest part....grab the hammer and bash that bottom seam. Also for me I cut a small wedge out of the bottom of the fender, you also need to do this for the tub to fender seam.
1000002065.jpg

1000002066.jpg

1000002069.jpg

Next was to get the slider in place and centered. Get it nice and tight to the bottom,I used some clamps as well to get it tight to the tub. The first time I placed it up there it wasn't as tight as I wanted so I had to take it down and do a touch more hammering.
1000002063.jpg

Get your holes marked, take down the slider and center punch the holes. Than drill your holes and install your hardware
1000002070.jpg

I did a trial fit to confirm I got everything correct than I taped it off, wiped it down, and painted to protect the areas that the paint flaked off.
1000002103.jpg

1000002105.jpg

I chose to get them powder coated and know that when I mess them up I will just do touchups with paint. I also sealed just the top edd and down the sides. I also installed some aluminum backers inside the tub area.
1000002202.jpg

I trimmed my factory fender flares and reinstalled them
1000002240.jpg

Final results
1000002239.jpg

It's not so bad after the first smack!

I don't understand what the fear is with folding the seam. Especially when any tub mounted slider already requires putting a bunch of holes in the tub.

Reactions: rasband
Having just installed a set of these, I’ll repeat Blaine’s advice from a different thread.

If you ever plan on doing corner armor, get the Genright’s, and install at the same time as sliders, or you will be disappointed in how they fit together.

Genright’s stupid design makes you install corners first, which is the complete opposite of how the vast majority do it.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
Having just installed a set of these, I’ll repeat Blaine’s advice from a different thread.

If you ever plan on doing corner armor, get the Genright’s, and install at the same time as sliders, or you will be disappointed in how they fit together.

Genright’s stupid design makes you install corners first, which is the complete opposite of how the vast majority do it.

are you taking about rear corner armor or fenders too?

What is it that made you install quarter armor first?

What is it that made you install quarter armor first?

The issue is that the lower bolt holes on the GR corners sit “very low”, meaning you have to trim the slider. If you trim the corner, it will be obvious from a side glance.

IMG_6300.jpeg

Meaning, if you install their corners after sliders, you’re in for not so great of a time. That is, if you want to make the border of the sliders and corners looking good.

I installed mine at the same time, and it still took me quite a while to get it straight.

This isn’t a huge deal, but it’s frustrating because it’s a very simple fix. Their instructions also emphasize to install their corners first, so they’re aware of this, and refuse to fix it, I’m assuming to get more people to buy their corner armor.

The issue is that the lower bolt holes on the GR corners sit “very low”, meaning you have to trim the slider. If you trim the corner, it will be obvious from a side glance.

View attachment 444269

Meaning, if you install their corners after sliders, you’re in for not so great of a time. That is, if you want to make the border of the sliders and corners looking good.

I installed mine at the same time, and it still took me quite a while to get it straight.

This isn’t a huge deal, but it’s frustrating because it’s a very simple fix. Their instructions also emphasize to install their corners first, so they’re aware of this, and refuse to fix it, I’m assuming to get more people to buy their corner armor.

I guess I lucked out. Installed JCR sliders 5 years before GR corners. No trimming required.

IMG_0598.jpeg

Reactions: PNW_LJ

View attachment 444269

Did you have to trim any off the slider? I can’t tell if you did.

I thought the slider mounts where it mounts. No options.

Did you have to trim any off the slider? I can’t tell if you did.

I thought the slider mounts where it mounts. No options.

IMG_6211.jpeg

Here’s the best pic of mine that I could find.

I had to trim off about 1/8” spread out across the rear half of the border between the slider and corner. I hope that makes sense.

My LJ was basically stock all it’s life, up until this year. I did put 2 minor dents in the corners while wheeling, which might be the cause of the tub’s “uneveness”.

View attachment 444273

Here’s the best pic of mine that I could find.

I had to trim off about 1/8” spread out across the rear half of the border between the slider and corner. I hope that makes sense.

My LJ was basically stock all it’s life, up until this year. I did put 2 minor dents in the corners while wheeling, which might be the cause of the tub’s “uneveness”.

Well, it looks good now! Nice job.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Well, it looks good now! Nice job.

Thank you.

It’s still not perfect, I have small gaps in other areas, and some nutserts didn’t collapse straight on. Doesn’t hurt anything but my OCD. I’m sure a more experienced installer would have managed.