Genright universal crossmember question

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
For those that run it, do you have any idle vibes? I currently have the UFC lo-pro mount and the vibes are starting to bother me. I also don't like having to jack the transmission when dropping the tcase skid so I'm hoping I can kill two birds with one stone.

The key is to use a crossmember similar to genright but instead you use an OEM trans mount between the crossmember and then trans. Zero vibes.

I was typing out a list of parts to buy instead and then I decided to click the link. That's not a bad price for all of that. I don't use anything that large, our middle tube is 1.5" but, not bad. The trans mount is too short but a piece can be welded to it to extend it out some.
Barnes offers theirs in pieces, just add tubing

https://www.barnes4wd.com/Crossmember-Mounting-Set_p_112.html
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Universal-Transmission-Mounting-Bracket_p_504.html

Reactions: SvtLdr
@mrblaine was going to ask you and this seems like a fitting thread

Are these Genright Atlas support rings a good idea?
https://genright.com/products/atlas-transfer-case-support-ring-kit.html
Guess TMR has them also
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/products...9u5e4bvDXHf_43g-siPBSqXVHpqZ6Ug0aAtZ4EALw_wcB
Are you going to race? Do you understand perfectly that the trans mount and tail mount have to be very close to the same level of support or you will cause more harm than you are preventing?

You can't run a factory rubber mount and mix that with the urethane bushing in the tail mount. That essentially puts all of the support on the tail mount, or a disproportionately large amount on the tail support.

Urethane bushed mounts at motor, trans, and tail support has to be the way. Enjoy the vibes.

Reactions: Apparition
Are you going to race? Do you understand perfectly that the trans mount and tail mount have to be very close to the same level of support or you will cause more harm than you are preventing?

You can't run a factory rubber mount and mix that with the urethane bushing in the tail mount. That essentially puts all of the support on the tail mount, or a disproportionately large amount on the tail support.

Urethane bushed mounts at motor, trans, and tail support has to be the way. Enjoy the vibes.
You just articulated the confusion that was in my head about it. Makes sense. Thanks.

Reactions: Apparition
I plan to get this. It’s been out of stock for several weeks but Tim emailed me this morning saying they’ll have more made in the next couple of weeks.
Good to know I'll be needing one and that was where I was leaning.

I think the non racers would be better served by something akin to the 70s Ford tcase mount. A large bushing like a body mount mounted on the front output side to take up some of the weight and control torque roll.

tcasemount.jpg

Reactions: SvtLdr
I was typing out a list of parts to buy instead and then I decided to click the link. That's not a bad price for all of that. I don't use anything that large, our middle tube is 1.5" but, not bad. The trans mount is too short but a piece can be welded to it to extend it out some.
Ive never seen or used one of these... is there a reason you use 1.5 instead of 1.75 for the main bar? My guess is it doesnt hang down as much or has clearance issues

Ive never seen or used one of these... is there a reason you use 1.5 instead of 1.75 for the main bar? My guess is it doesnt hang down as much or has clearance issues
Probably because anything larger is just material overkill.

Reactions: D M
TMR is using the 1.75" for the adjustability of the kit, it slides over the 1.5". You wouldn't need that piece if you used a single 1.5" tube.

Probably because anything larger is just material overkill.
Very much so. If you've had your Wheaties and are tolerable at the bench press, you can push the drivetrain up off of a jack laying under the rig. The static load on that crossmember isn't more than about 250 lbs or so. Adding the larger diameter to the middle stiffens up the point where it would start to deflect first.

i toyed with these a bit.
those small plates are made to go directly up onto the casing mounts and grab a couple holes, the use of the OE mount requires additional space, so i think your gonna maybe be inverting the bracket as they show it and adding some material to give you room for the OE rubber mount to fit and mount .......so either will work. i've had good experiences with Barnes. meanin my stuff gets here quick and it's always been what i asked for. and they don't rape your wallet.

the 3 piece slip tube crap is so you can make your ends and the slip tube eliminates the need for the precise measurements a single tube requires.