Girlfriend drives TJ: Off-road edition

Westtown Willy

TJ dummy
Supporting Member
As promised, following our parking lot test drive a couple weeks ago Kimberly & I headed to the mountains yesterday for her first time behind the wheel off road. She was a little nervous but did fantastic. I rode shotgun mostly but as the day went on I got out to get some video, at the end of the video we were in some trickier stuff & my buddy Pete was good enough to ride with her for assistance so I could get some more video.

I suck at spotting when it’s my rig in motion, a little panic set in when she came over the crest towards the end. I gained a new appreciation for the TJ too, watching it from the outside I can see just how effortless it rolls, it is quite a machine. Here she is:

I think this will be a regular thing from now on

Last edited:
she did, a lot. I did too, it's really a very different experience to be sitting in your own TJ while someone else drives it off road. It's a bit unnerving, gives a whole new meaning to back seat driving when you're trying to direct someone away from trees, around rocks & away from areas where rolling is a concern... she did great & drove a good bit during the day, the video was a very small sampling of what she did.

Reactions: TJ Starting
What will be a regular thing, her behind the wheel off road or you taking the video of her behind the wheel off road ?

ha, both! Speaking of videos I can't figure out what that disturbing noise is during some parts of the video, some kind of interference.

"Down in there? You sure you want me to do that? That doesn't look like a good idea." 🤣🤣

that was funny, and I remember those thoughts when I first did this; you tend to forget how intimidating some things look when you're seeing them for the first time from the driver's seat.

Looks like a good time, I may have to see if my wife will give it a go in mine (though secretly I like that she’s scared of the stick).

Side thought, I think the Orange TJ is my favorite color they did...

Side thought, I think the Orange TJ is my favorite color they did...

it's actually red, must be the lighting. Funny thing, I showed my brother the video today & he asked me when I got it painted orange 😄

Obligatory TWSS!

But seriously: when it comes to the trails, our sport is filled with terrible ideas!

yes, yes it is & it grows exponentially when a bunch of us collect together

Anyway here's another short clip from yesterday, we did switch seats after turning into the quarry but by the time we got down there it was impassable, almost all of it was covered in ice - it's a difficult enough area when it's dry so we turned around & headed back up. It was warm all week & Friday hit 75 but somehow that ice persisted in some spots, I guess it's where the sun don't shine :LOL:

Nice job on the video footage Willy! Looks like you both had a lot of fun and learned some new things as well. You about videoing while someone else drives your rig while trying not to bite your fingernails off, and her about driving off road. lol. Absolutely excellent job by both of you!

Reactions: Sam Solo
Nice job on the video footage Willy! Looks like you both had a lot of fun and learned some new things as well. You about videoing while someone else drives your rig while trying not to bite your fingernails off, and her about driving off road. lol. Absolutely excellent job by both of you!

Thanks man, it was a blast but don't be so sure I have any fingernails left :LOL:, just kidding of course, it was mostly well controlled. I've got a lot more trails in mind for her to tackle as we move towards the goal of intermediate level, but we'll probably stay on the beginner trails for a while until she tells me she wants something more challenging.

Very nice. I'm going to do the same thing with my kids this week or weekend. You both did a great job.

Thanks, when I got the TJ a few years ago my kids were already both driving for a few years so I figured it would be a great way to teach them stick and get them into Jeeps in general but after a few lessons they both lost interest. I don't blame them, they've got a lot going on starting out in life. The girlfriend however, she's stuck with me & my TJ 😜

Reactions: Bubba45