glwood's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

These mount where the body mounts bolt up, and are very sturdy. They do what I want, and I've been completely satisfied.

Same here.

I've had several less-than-pleasant encounters with big rocks, and these things take the hits very nicely. Very heavy, and very solid.

Last edited:
Savvy TC cable shifter arrived week before last, but it's sitting on the shelf...it's been too cold and wet here since the first of the year. Going to have to wait for some warmer weather, no garage at my place.:mad:

I need one of those places that has a lift and rents out space by the hour...

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats and JMT
Savvy TC cable shifter arrived week before last, but it's sitting on the shelf...it's been too cold and wet here since the first of the year. Going to have to wait for some warmer weather, no garage at my place.:mad:

I need one of thone places that has a lift and rents out space by the hour...
Have the same problem, there is snow here in Indiana. They have a place near by me that offer those services but I haven't made a trip over there to check out the facility.

@glwood pls set me straight. Savvy cable shifter I see, but i dont see a body lift on your mod list.
My NooB Q is, isn't the Savvy shifter typically needed only with a BL ?

You don't need a body lift for installing the Savvy cable shifter. It simply replaces the factory linkage. It makes shifting the tcase much nicer.

With a body lift, the factory linkage has issues so most go with a cable shifter. Hope this is clear.

@glwood pls set me straight. Savvy cable shifter I see, but i dont see a body lift on your mod list.
My NooB Q is, isn't the Savvy shifter typically needed only with a BL ?
Hey, @KCsTJ, I had asked the same question of the forum members, and their response was that you can use the Savvy TC cable shifter even without a BL. They said the shift would be so much smoother that it makes it worthwhile. I bought one, and will be installing it (amongst a load of other things) when the weather warms up.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Ok. So it's even a benefit on a stock jeep?
Dang the stock jeep shifter must be bad.
I haven't really had to fight my stock shifter , but its not really smooth esp going into 4 HI.
What about an adjustment, can the stock shifter be adjusted to improve shifting?

You don't need a body lift for installing the Savvy cable shifter. It simply replaces the factory linkage. It makes shifting the tcase much nicer.

With a body lift, the factory linkage has issues so most go with a cable shifter. Hope this is clear.
Hey, @KCsTJ, I had asked the same question of the forum members, and their response was that you can use the Savvy TC cable shifter even without a BL. They said the shift would be so much smoother that it makes it worthwhile. I bought one, and will be installing it (amongst a load of other things) when the weather warms up.
What they said. My previous X shifted horribly. Savvy cable solved it. Why Jeep used that stock transfer case shifting contraption is unknowable.

Reactions: Squatch and KCsTJ
Ok. So it's even a benefit on a stock jeep?
Dang the stock jeep shifter must be bad.
I haven't really had to fight my stock shifter , but its not really smooth esp going into 4 HI.
What about an adjustment, can the stock shifter be adjusted to improve shifting?

Yes, it benefits a stock Jeep. You'll be very happy with how nice the tcase shifts with a cable shifter. The stock linkage has one nut that you can adjust but even that barely makes a difference. If you can afford it, the Savvy shifter is the way to go.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I do not know the brand of the rack, I did not see any markings. Could've been because I was in so much of a hurry to get rid of it. I traded the rack, nerf bars, and tires for the new tires at a local auto dealer who specializes in Jeeps.

Yes, Dirtworx.
This is a 2" BB, no BL, with 32x11.5x15's on 15x8 wheels. I'm carrying the extra weight of the barricade rack and a 8000# winch on a receiver plate stored behind the back seat.
jeep.jpg

Day one home
View attachment 33588 View attachment 33589 View attachment 33590

Lost the rack & chrome nerf bars, got new 32" tires
View attachment 33591
BB and Rancho shocks
View attachment 33592
Top down, Body Armor rails, nets on,
View attachment 33593

Jeep buds - Bailey and IgnacioView attachment 33594
OME suspension replaced the BB
View attachment 33595
Dirtworx bumpers front & rear
View attachment 33597 View attachment 33598
Trying to talk the Tacoma out of the carport
View attachment 33599
Great looking jeep. The OEM fog lights look awesome.

Finished up the transfer case shifter mod today, after having received a replacement shift rod from

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=222704377496

Unfortunately, the second shift rod was just like the first one. I ended up just cutting about 3/16 off the end of the rod, to make it match the length of the oem shift rod, and drilled a new hole for the spring clip. Works perfectly now, shifts like it's supposed to. Here's the photos of the installation, and now I just have to decide whether to go with the 1 7/8" knob, or the 2 1/8" knob. I like the looks of the larger knob, but my hand hits it when I shift the automatic transmission shifter, it's a bit too close. I think the larger knob would work great with a standard transmission shifter. Here's some photos of the project:

View attachment 58986 View attachment 58987 View attachment 58988 View attachment 58989 View attachment 58990 View attachment 58991
Larger shift knob:
View attachment 58992 View attachment 58993

Now, after the completed installation. First, the larger knob:
View attachment 58995 View attachment 58996 View attachment 59002

And the smaller knob:
View attachment 59007 View attachment 59008 View attachment 59009 View attachment 59010

I think I will stay with the smaller knob, it just seems to work better. All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out. It's a lot easier to grab and shift than the oem shifter, which you have to reach for...
Is this modified shift lever for the t-case still available? The link you posted a few years ago isn’t valid

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Is this modified shift lever for the t-case still available? The link you posted a few years ago isn’t valid
He likely won’t respond. He sold his TJ years ago and hasn’t been active since. Maybe you’ll get lucky.