glwood's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Haven't quite gotten there yet. Between letting the panel paint dry, and trying to figure out what size the door hinge nuts are (none of my SAE or metric wrenches fit), they are still out in the workshop...:(
Oh.....okay.
We'll be waiting to see how they look on your Jeep. :icon_popcorn:

Reactions: KCsTJ
@glwood, was just wondering if you have had any mechanical problems with your TJR? Engine or otherwise

Nope. It runs and drives like new. It's hard to imagine too many issues with only 23k miles on the ticker. Rust-free also, as it has been in NM since leaving the lot.

Has it been a reliable Jeep for you so far?
Very. Every thing I have replaced has been to upgrade, not repair. Knock on wood...

Now we need to see a picture with them on your Jeep. :)
The 'on the Jeep' reveal, at last:

First, I picked up a set of these hinge nuts from Summit, as I figured I would screw up the paint on the door hinge nuts removing them...they are stainless steel, and install with a hex key I will keep in the TJ:
IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

The nuts actually came off fairly easily after using some Liquid Wrench, and the doors also. Not bad for probably not ever being taken off in 14 years. The install was fairly straightforward, started with the passenger side. It takes more effort to close the half door, as the weather stripping on the front of the door is different, and tends to bunch up a bit. But it fits fine, and latches as it should.

Driver's side, no such luck. Got it on ok, but the door striker hit above the slot in the door. Word of advice to anyone painting doors from another TJ - make any fitment adjustments BEFORE PAINTING. I should have realized this, I mistakenly figured all doors fit all TJs the same. Stupid assumption. In this case however, it worked out ok. I had to take off the mirror, then loosen the (newly painted) hinge bolts (messing up the paint:mad:) to adjust the door up in the back by moving the top of the door forward. It acually worked out ok, as the hinge bolts are covered by the mirror, and you cannot see them at all. Now the door closes just fine, but the gap at the back of the door is a bit bigger than at the front, which you can see in the following photos. The better solution would have been to fit the door unpainted, and moved the bottom of the door back slightly, and the top forward slightly. Then the gaps in the front and rear would have been more even. All in all, a successful half door paint project, and it looks great to me.
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG

The paint is ever so slightly darker, but you really have to look closely to see it. The tint actually changes depending on the angle you look from...my wife said she cannot see the difference.

Last edited:
Looks great! With silver, the only way to get it absolutely perfect, they would have to blend paint into the tub and fender/cowl, so for a butt match, that looks pretty dang good!

Reactions: Ted05Rubi
Very nice project.
I like your new hinge nuts, very clean look

NooB question, I don't see many Rubicons with half doors.
Were half doors an option from the factory on TJ Rubicons?

Last edited:
Very nice project.
I like your new hinge nuts, very clean look

NooB question, I don't see many Rubicons with half doors.
Were half doors an option from the factory on TJ Rubicons?

Thanks. I like how they are stainless steel, and are not painted.

Half doors would have been an option on any TJ, but would most likely would have had to have been ordered from the factory.

Reactions: Byhumba and KCsTJ
@glwood your half doors look great. I ave a search setup on CL but no luck in my area.

What did you use for the door sill guard? I want to buy a set for my TJR as well.

Nice Ruby. Lucky guy! Got mine last year with 55000 miles on her and I have been transforming her as well.
I don't want to offend anyone but, Can someone tell me why you would want netting about the back end of the Jeep. Carrying lots of empty boxes after all the Jeep parts delivery? LOL! Or what?............YAR!!

Nice Ruby. Lucky guy! Got mine last year with 55000 miles on her and I have been transforming her as well.
I don't want to offend anyone but, Can someone tell me why you would want netting about the back end of the Jeep. Carrying lots of empty boxes after all the Jeep parts delivery? LOL! Or what?............YAR!!
To keep the dogs in the Jeep.

Reactions: Night Hawk