glwood's 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Nice! Haven't seen that before. Does it say on the can that it can be used on plastic?
HD website states
  • Ultra-matte sheen for use on a variety of interior surfaces: wood, metal, plastic, wicker and more
I'll check out the can label later today.

The only thing that concerns me about the paint is it states 'for interior use'...it may not hold up to the outdoor UV rays very well before fading.

The only thing that concerns me about the paint is it states 'for interior use'...it may not hold up to the outdoor UV rays very well before fading.
I've used a paint that was intended for plastics before. I think it was called "Fusion", and made by Krylon. I used it on interior trim pieces in a Ford Fairmont wagon. Went on nice. Looked great. Near perfect match. Unfortunately, whenever the car got hot inside, the paint would soften up. In fact, when I went to drop the back seat down on one particularly hot day, I found that the upholstered seat back had stuck to the plastic trim of the rear wheel wells where it had made contact. Made a God-awful ripping sound when it finally released.
Anyways, I just thought I'd mention it. The Fairmont was a beater project that I enjoyed immensely as such, and not a very nice rig, such as your TJ. I'd hate for you to encounter similar issues, so just thought I'd give a heads-up on the potential for a problem.

I've used a paint that was intended for plastics before. I think it was called "Fusion", and made by Krylon. I used it on interior trim pieces in a Ford Fairmont wagon. Went on nice. Looked great. Near perfect match. Unfortunately, whenever the car got hot inside, the paint would soften up. In fact, when I went to drop the back seat down on one particularly hot day, I found that the upholstered seat back had stuck to the plastic trim of the rear wheel well where it made contact. Made a God-awful ripping sound when it finally released.
Anyways, I just thought I'd mention it. The Fairmont was a beater project that I enjoyed immensely as such, and not a very nice rig, such as your TJ. I'd hate for you to encounter similar issues, so just thought I'd give a heads-up on the potential for a problem.
I did actually find the Krylon Fusion paint online, and they said it was available at Lowe's. I am about to head over there to see what they might have. I plan to use adhesion promoter under the trim paint, maybe that would help. The only thing I could not find is a charcoal color in Fusion. I might just have to go with flat black, although that is darker. I think black would look better than the light gray, though.

I did actually find the Krylon Fusion paint online, and they said it was available at Lowe's. I am about to head over there to see what they might have. I plan to use adhesion promoter under the trim paint, maybe that would help. The only thing I could not find is a charcoal color in Fusion. I might just have to go with flat black, although that is darker. I think black would look better than the light gray, though.
I bought mine at Lowe's...

Got the panels painted, with two different paints. I first used some leftover Duplicolor bumper coating, which I really like. That was enough to do one panel, but ran out. I used the Krylon Fusion matte black on the other panel. The Krylon is a little less flat looking than the bumper coating, and I had more of it, so I went ahead and put a coat on the other panel. Now they match. I will have some photos tomorrow, right now they are hanging in the workshop to dry overnight, even though they are dry to the touch.

I actually liked the look of the bumper coating better...I may get a can of that to finish them off.

Got the panels painted, with two different paints. I first used some leftover Duplicolor bumper coating, which I really like. That was enough to do one panel, but ran out. I used the Krylon Fusion matte black on the other panel. The Krylon is a little less flat looking than the bumper coating, and I had more of it, so I went ahead and put a coat on the other panel. Now they match. I will have some photos tomorrow, right now they are hanging in the workshop to dry overnight, even though they are dry to the touch.

I actually liked the look of the bumper coating better...I may get a can of that to finish them off.
That's great!!

Doors are done. The panels came out pretty good, a little darker than I wanted, but look better with the existing dark slate interior than the light gray would have. Here's some photos:
IMG_1141.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG

The second to last photo above looks like the interior panel is sort of mottled...that is the light, it really turned out all the same.

Reactions: JMT and Squatch
Congrats! Beautiful Jeep! Great set up!

I thought the rack looked pretty cool, I'm hoping to buy one in the future for kayaks. That's what I used to do.

Last edited:
Doors are done. The panels came out pretty good, a little darker than I wanted, but look better with the existing dark slate interior than the light gray would have. Here's some photos:
View attachment 46759 View attachment 46760 View attachment 46761 View attachment 46762 View attachment 46763 View attachment 46764 View attachment 46765 View attachment 46766

The second to last photo above looks like the interior panel is sort of mottled...that is the light, it really turned out all the same.
Looks sharp! I like the results, for sure.

Now we need to see a picture with them on your Jeep. :)
Haven't quite gotten there yet. Between letting the panel paint dry, and trying to figure out what size the door hinge nuts are (none of my SAE or metric wrenches fit), they are still out in the workshop...:(