GMRS Antenna Mount Options

Mounted my ghost antenna on the hood. Removed a snubber and used a through Nmo mount.

FC621991-0EF7-4808-AB33-560E85DB07C2.jpeg

I bought a ditch bracket off of Amazon and mounted my ghost antenna up by the cowl. Run the antenna cord under the cowl and accessed the interior via a grommet on the drivers side cowl area. I did have to Dremel just a bit of the cowl cover lip on the underside to allow for the cables.

507276B5-21EE-4907-ADB4-52FF338426C2.jpeg

Been waffling on moving to GMRS mainly because of the antenna mount. I would like to use the Ghost antenna but have the option to swap it out if longer range is needed. I have two options...

I can mount it to the tire carrier out back. Either mount it to the bracket as pictured elsewhere in this thread or on one of the carrier tubes. Either way I think it will interfere with the cargo basket and carrier mounted gear. Also, the carrier is mounted to the tube with a rubber mounting pad that would kill any ground other than the mounting bolt that goes through the tub.

Second option, and the way I would prefer is to mount on the front light bar.. Same as how I have the OBA QR mounted but on the other side. I will have to drill out the hole to 3/4 but that should be easy. Any issues with mounting out front?

2023-04-08 Motobilt Stubby 62.jpg

Been waffling on moving to GMRS mainly because of the antenna mount. I would like to use the Ghost antenna but have the option to swap it out if longer range is needed. I have two options...

I can mount it to the tire carrier out back. Either mount it to the bracket as pictured elsewhere in this thread or on one of the carrier tubes. Either way I think it will interfere with the cargo basket and carrier mounted gear. Also, the carrier is mounted to the tube with a rubber mounting pad that would kill any ground other than the mounting bolt that goes through the tub.

Second option, and the way I would prefer is to mount on the front light bar.. Same as how I have the OBA QR mounted but on the other side. I will have to drill out the hole to 3/4 but that should be easy. Any issues with mounting out front?

View attachment 470063

Higher would be better. I have mine on the A-pillar with a bracket I got off Amazon. You could run a higher db gain antenna from there without it being in the way of anything.
20220824_143411.jpg

Higher would be better. I have mine on the A-pillar with a bracket I got off Amazon. You could run a higher db gain antenna from there without it being in the way of anything.
View attachment 470149

How do you like that mount? I’ve been thinking of getting one like that for when I do go to GMRS.

Reactions: bobthetj03
I have the MXTA24 Midland cable, should I slip a ring terminal over the center stud and run a ground wire to the chassis?