Going Alone - Single Vehicle Offroad Travel Safety

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Found this on Expedition Portal and just wanted to share it since it's a good read:

Safety in numbers is a bonafide fact when traveling in remote places. There is no substitute for the presence of a second vehicle when it comes to recovering a stuck or disabled vehicle. However, we have all gone alone, to one degree or another, and will more than likely do it again. For some, it is out of necessity – when no other capable or willing party can be found. For others, it is a choice – to enjoy the solitude and satisfaction that comes with gearing up, heading out, and tackling a challenge alone. Regardless of the reason, going alone is a conscious choice to accept a certain amount of risk. The purpose of this article is not to encourage solo travel, but to help mitigate risk for those who make the decision to go alone.

In this article, I will discuss some of the basic tenants of going alone and will conclude by showing some of my own preparation and equipment load outs.

Two principles will be present throughout these rules; the “6P” rule and the “PACE” planning method. The “6P” rule states that “prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.” Most everything I will discuss relies upon some sort of action being taken prior to heading out – hence the “prior preparation” portion of the “6P” rule. The second concept is the “PACE” principle – which stands for “Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency.” This principle is applied to all elements of preparation and recovery, and its application will be clear throughout this article.

Cover-6-1777x1333.jpg

The Ten Golden Rules of Going Solo:

1. Always leave a plan behind with someone trustworthy.

This plan should cover where you are going, others you are taking with you, your expected time of return, actions you will take in an emergency, and actions to take should you not return. This plan should include a map, with your planned route highlighted. For this plan to work, you must have the discipline to stay on plan!

Cover-3.jpg

2. Never exceed your walk out / survival capability. You should have a rucksack (back-pack) with everything you need to survive in the worst weather possible in your environment. This pack should sustain you to travel by foot for the furthest possible distance from civilization you will be. Pack as if you are starting your survival situation soaking wet. Your pack should utilize water tight bags for things that need to stay dry. Your pack’s weight should be reasonable in comparison to your physical abilities and backpacking experience.

For this survival technique to be viable, you must exercise the restraint to not drive further than your backpacking capabilities if you wish to have any self-rescue capability.

Picture-3-1777x1333.jpg

This picture illustrates how important the hi lift jack can be to the digging out process. Lifting the back end of the truck up allowed me to get traction boards under the tires and clear the mud from the rear axle / frame.

3. Emergency beacons, satellite phones, and satellite messengers save lives. There are a plethora of devices out there that can communicate from anywhere on the globe. Many articles have been written comparing the devices capabilities and limitations. My personal choice is a DeLorme Inreach. Most of these devices cost less than a smart phone and are a drop in the bucket compared to what many offroad enthusiasts and overland travelers spend on their vehicles. In this day and age, there is no excuse to not have a satellite communication device with you when you leave the beaten path.

Picture-11-1777x1333.jpg

My glove box has my must have items in it. The DeLorme InReach, two meter radio and reference guide of repeater frequencies for North America, survival blanket, a strobe beacon, a flashlight, a pair of binoculars, and a mosquito repelling burner (Alaska can have brutal mosquitoes during the summer). Put stuff you don’t want disappearing during a roll over in your glove box. Nothing like having a broken back and being unable to find your SOS beacon.

4. Bring the right tools for the job, and know how to use them. An emergency, or even a routine vehicle recovery, in “no man’s land” is no time to be learning your equipment. Preventable mistakes in remote places can quickly magnify the severity of the situation. The hi-lift jack is a versatile and powerful tool; but it can also seriously injure you in the blink of an eye. The same is true of winching and many other tools and techniques we use. Gaining experience in controlled environments is the way to go with these tools. Fire extinguishers can prevent bad situations from becoming catastrophic situations. Inversely, fire starters can turn miserable situations into not so bad situations. Be redundant; remember PACE. An ax is on the most important tools you can carry. When applied with creativity, trees can serve dozens of uses in vehicle recovery. A light source in the dark is priceless. Bring several, and don’t set them down when they’re turned off in the dark – they can be hard to find. Headlamps are worth their weight in gold.

And last but certainly not least, bring a source of water appropriate for the duration of your trip and the weather you will face. Water purification tablets and water purifiers are available at very affordable prices.

Picture-2-640x480.jpg
Picture-1-640x480.jpg

A good shovel – one that you can get under the vehicle easily when you’re stuck – is the foundation of recovery. You should always dig out before attempting any other means. You have to get the undercarriage off the ground and you need to provide your tires a decent surface to get you out of the mess you are in. Fire extinguishers are one of those things that when you need one, you really need one. I keep mine mounted in this storage compartment.

5. Carry first aid supplies and know how to use what you have. To keep this brief – you should have the supplies and the know how to control bleeding, maintain an airway, and treat shock. These will help you save yourself or others from the majority of injuries that result in preventable death. Tourniquets are the most effective tool to control severe bleeding from an extremity. SAM splints are worth their weight in gold when it comes to treating fractures. Shock can and does kill; and is preventable with basic knowledge and tools. Get the tools and get the training if you plan to venture out.

Picture-9-1777x1333.jpg

A well stocked first aid kit is an absolute essential item. The second picture is of a hypothermia treatment bag, which is essentially a self heating body bag for a full grown adult. It can treat / prevent hypothermia for 12 hours. A blue tarp is also pictured – tarps have nearly unlimited uses and make great survival items.

6. You cannot afford to lose/damage gear when going solo. Ensure all of your gear is properly secured, both from theft and from falling off your vehicle. Shackles should be secured with zip ties or wire. Shovels, axes, etc. should be properly mounted or tied down. Loose objects become projectiles in crashes and roll-overs. A missing shackle can become a deal breaker during recovery.

Picture-7-480x640.jpg
Picture-14-480x640.jpg

I keep one recovery strap coiled inside my spare tire and one under my backseat. During the winter, I keep one end of my exterior strap already hooked to a shackle so that I can more quickly rig a recovery when it is -30F outside. The strap is ziptied in place in order to prevent loss on the trail. The zip ties are small enough to be broken by hand. I keep road flares in my rear driver’s door. That way if I break down on the highway, they are quick and easy to get at.

Picture-8-1777x1333.jpg

Simple mistakes can become big problems when in remote areas, such as cutting your hand. Bring gloves appropriate for vehicle recovery.

Picture-6-1777x1333.jpg

Traction boards are my hands down favorite recovery tool and work great for solo vehicles in areas without natural winching anchors.

On that note – you are never without a winch anchor if you have a shovel. There are a myriad of ways to build a dead-man anchor with things you have with you (spare tire) or things you can acquire from nature around you (trees).

7. Have a “PACE” plan for everything. The best example of this is your communications. For example, my communications PACE plan is:

Primary: Cell Phone
Alternate: DeLorme InReach
Contingency: Radio communications
Emergency: Visual signals.

Within 3 of those four categories I have redundancy. I carry two cell phones, each on different providers (one personal, one work issued). Within radio communications, I have a vehicle mounted 2 meter, vehicle mounted CB, and handheld 2 meter radios. Within emergency (visual), I have strobes, flares, and marking panels. These measures take up very little space and weight and greatly increase the safety of going solo. On that note, if you bring an electronic device, bring the cord to charge it. Even better, bring a battery pack to charge it.

Cover-1-2000x1329.jpg

8. Know how to navigate. This comes with time and experience. PACE applies here as well. GPS is an amazing tool, but do not neglect a map and a compass. Knowing how to use a map and a compass will not only help you better use your GPS devices, but will serve you well when all things possible go wrong and you find yourself with dead batteries and no power.

Know your panic azimuth; that is – know the general direction you need to head if you get lost. This direction should lead you to something you can’t miss – a highway, a river, a railroad, etc. that you will recognize and can follow to safety. Walking out is generally an absolute last resort – staying with your vehicle (and staying within the plan you left behind) is normally your best option – but should you have to walk out, walking in the correct direction always helps.

Picture-12-1777x1333.jpg

My “navigation center”. The iPad serves as the primary GPS, with road maps, topo maps, and satellite maps loaded for my area. The Garmin is the back up and is always running when the truck is running in order to record a “track” that I can follow back if needed. The book contains maps for the areas I travel. More maps are stuffed between my seat and the center console.

9. Everyone in the vehicle has to know the plan and the gear. Your passengers should know the general use of the gear you have. Take the time to familiarize them before you depart. Something may happen to you and your life may depend on them knowing how to use what you’ve prepared.

Picture-4-1777x1333.jpg

Jump start packs are one of the best inventions of the 21st century for the solo offroader. They can also charge your electronics should you have to leave the vehicle.

10. The best tool you can carry is on your shoulders. When things start going wrong, you have to remain calm. Stop – think – and think again. Haste makes waste; and carelessness can turn a bad situation into a horrible one. Take account of what you have, what you can make, and what you can gather from your surroundings – then make a plan.

In conclusion, as with all the best things in life, some risk is inevitable. Prior preparation is the key to minimizing risk and maximizing the enjoyment of your travels, no matter where they take you. Having the right equipment is important; having the training and experience to use it properly is even more important. And most importantly, exercising good judgment and staying within the capabilities of yourself and your equipment will keep your solo vehicle adventures safe and enjoyable.

Here we go!
This:
picture-3-1777x1333-jpg.9370.jpg

There's a much better way to go here. This doesn't work particularly well for TJ's. The articulation most TJ's have is more than you want to deal with using a farm jack. Get one of these:
liftmate.jpg

It's a lift-mate and allows you to lift directly on the wheel, instead of trying lift the frame to get a wheel out of a hole.

That can of WD-40? Not appropriate lube for the hi-lift. Use grease, real grease. Wipe the crap off of your hi-lift, apply a thin coat of grease and then jack away.

Last edited:
I found this thread to be very interesting and informative given the fact i spend a lot of time in remote places alone.
I will admit though, even though i live in a rural area and do quite a bit of off-road here in the western part of VA and some in WV.......it's not Idaho, Wyoming, Montana Etc.
I'm confident i could walk out in a half a day if necessary but preparation is still my friend.

I'm confident i could walk out in a half a day if necessary but preparation is still my friend.

My thought as well. I figure that wherever I am going, I could make it out in half a day at most, or at least back to a major highway or somewhere to get help.

Reactions: JP13
Just seeing that hi-lift looks dangerous! Maybe I'm just being a pansy though.

It seems to me that a traction pad might be a nice way out of that situation:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV2HONS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

What do you think @StG58?
That setup IS dangerous. I wouldn't do that, and it's not efficient or particularly effective.

Those tracks on Amazon are worthwhile, but if I'm hauling those around, I'm going for the real thing. Bridging gear. If you're hauling something around that is really unhandy to store, make it worthwhile. Know what I mean?

It doesn't have to be much. Think 6' or so. The othere uses that bridging gear are used for, besides getting across something, are getting up or down off of something. Got a six foot deep ditch with a berm on the other side? Steep sides? Throw your bridging gear in there. Problem solved.

Reactions: JP13
I found this thread to be very interesting and informative given the fact i spend a lot of time in remote places alone.
I will admit though, even though i live in a rural area and do quite a bit of off-road here in the western part of VA and some in WV.......it's not Idaho, Wyoming, Montana Etc.
Half a day of hiking isn't bad. Still, it's best to have a plan, and let a responsible person know what that plan is. Also let that responsible person know how far you might deviate from that plan. Shit happens and you have to plan for that as well.

Reactions: JP13 and Chris
Those tracks on Amazon are worthwhile, but if I'm hauling those around, I'm going for the real thing. Bridging gear. If you're hauling something around that is really unhandy to store, make it worthwhile. Know what I mean?

It doesn't have to be much. Think 6' or so. The othere uses that bridging gear are used for, besides getting across something, are getting up or down off of something. Got a six foot deep ditch with a berm on the other side? Steep sides? Throw your bridging gear in there. Problem solved.

True, but I guess when you have a truck bed, throwing stuff back there isn't a big deal. You and I have such little room in our TJs that it makes us much more "aware" of what we can fit back there. If I had a truck, I wouldn't feel nearly as bad about throwing stuff back there that I may not even need!

Reactions: JP13 and StG58
True, but I guess when you have a truck bed, throwing stuff back there isn't a big deal. You and I have such little room in our TJs that it makes us much more "aware" of what we can fit back there. If I had a truck, I wouldn't feel nearly as bad about throwing stuff back there that I may not even need!
We can trudge our TJ's into places trucks can only dream of. I've got a Suburban, and I've been there and done that. The cool thing is with a little farting around and deviating from what the cool kids are doing, we can take our TJ's literally almost anywhere. The trick is knowing what you want to accomplish and making it so.

Reactions: Chris
We can trudge our TJ's into places trucks can only dream of. I've got a Suburban, and I've been there and done that. The cool thing is with a little farting around and deviating from what the cool kids are doing, we can take our TJ's literally almost anywhere. The trick is knowing what you want to accomplish and making it so.

Makes you wonder where you could take a little Suzuki Samurai!

Reactions: StG58
Makes you wonder where you could take a little Suzuki Samurai!
Don't underestimate the Samari, it's a good rig. The difference is, the TJ can carry more weight and still function. When the going gets tough, that difference matters. It all depends on what you're after.

I noticed this guy likes his electronics. He seems to like his tools and toys as well.

Those traction mats you linked to @Chris are pretty cool, and look useful:
817AH38mKeL._SX450_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SX450SY301SH20_.jpg

But I wonder how much better than a couple of chunks of carpet and some rocks / dirt in the hole they are.

I got to looking at the picture where he is bogged down in the mud by the river. I would have to ask why he didn't get out and check the crossing before jumping across there? And what's up with the square point shovel? The key to being out alone is to use your head more than your gear. Stay out of trouble.

I noticed this guy likes his electronics. He seems to like his tools and toys as well.

Those traction mats you linked to @Chris are pretty cool, and look useful:
View attachment 9435
But I wonder how much better than a couple of chunks of carpet and some rocks / dirt in the hole they are.

I got to looking at the picture where he is bogged down in the mud by the river. I would have to ask why he didn't get out and check the crossing before jumping across there? And what's up with the square point shovel? The key to being out alone is to use your head more than your gear. Stay out of trouble.

I think those traction pads are indeed pretty cool. I wouldn't dare to care them around in my tiny Wrangler, but if I had a large truck, I would put them in the bed of it just incase. I could probably carry gravel (or carpet), but those traction pads are lighter than gravel I suspect, and probably hold up longer than the carpet would. Not saying they are going to work in every situation, but in certain situations I could see them being useful.

Maybe he got himself stuck in that mud on purpose, you know, to demonstrate the high lift jack at work (which is dangerous just looking at it).

Reactions: StG58
I think those traction pads are indeed pretty cool. I wouldn't dare to care them around in my tiny Wrangler, but if I had a large truck, I would put them in the bed of it just incase. I could probably carry gravel (or carpet), but those traction pads are lighter than gravel I suspect, and probably hold up longer than the carpet would. Not saying they are going to work in every situation, but in certain situations I could see them being useful.

Maybe he got himself stuck in that mud on purpose, you know, to demonstrate the high lift jack at work (which is dangerous just looking at it).
The expedition guys like to hang stuff off the outside of their rigs. Gas cans, Hi-lifts, shovels, axes, coolers, spare tires...the list is endless. It's kind of amusing in a way. I don't see these rigs back in the pucker brush much, where all that gear might do some good. I do see lots (relatively lots) of beat up old pickups, Toyota's of one flavor or another and Jeeps of various sorts. Most of the time the sum total of the gear that you see is a shovel, axe, a snatch strap and maybe an extra gas can. Usually some miscellaneous tools rattling around under the seat.

That is a dangerous setup on that hi-lift. He's got that thing cranked almost all the way up, and his tire is still in a hole. I like, and use, a hi-lift. I also stopped trying to defend them as a useful tool. Don't even recommend them to anyone any more because it takes more skill and experience, apparently, to appropriately use one than there is in the general off road community. Oh, and it looks like the truck in the picture has a rear mounted winch that is deployed in addition to the hi-lift. So, you're probably correct that the picture is for demonstration purposes only.

Interesting thing happened this weekend. Yamhill SAR got called out for a single vehicle injury accident out in the sticks. One cell phone call to 911, that was dropped during the conversation. Even had the Clackamas County Sheriff's airplane involved after a bit. Called the search off after two days because they couldn't locate the scene. If it wasn't a prank call, somebody will find it after the spring thaw probably. They did run across three other lost souls stuck in the pucker brush whilst searching, though. So the whole evolution wasn't a total waste of time.

I keep pounding on this. Don't rely on electronics / technology, or someone else to bail your backsides out. Especially around here. You may be rapidly and efficiently converted to fecal material if you do. One lapse of judgement, one miss-step, one shot of bad luck and you are well and truly screwed.

Reactions: JP13 and UpperMI
Oh, here's a hot tip for when you are out in the boonies by yourself and get in a pickle.

After you make your first recovery attempt, and it fails, stop. Make a cup of hot tea or bouillon. Walk all the way around your rig and think about the gear you have along. 99.9% of the time a solution will present itself.

I have to stress that walking out should be an absolute LAST resort. A vehicle is orders of magnatude easier to find than a person. Most all of your resources are in or on that vehicle. Unless the vehicle is seriously damaged or destroyed it can at least provide shelter. Moving cross country on foot can expose you to all sorts of mishaps that won't improve your situation. It is also a lot tougher than you can imagine.

Last edited:
One of the greatest expedition/overlanding threads I've ever read is about a couple from Belgium that drove across Congo - http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...atic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

If you have a few hours to dig through their posts it's an amazing story.

WOW! That's amazing, what a journey!

Oh, here's a hot tip for when you are out in the boonies by yourself and get in a pickle.

After you make your first recovery attempt, and it fails, stop. Make a cup of hot tea or bouillon. Walk all the way around your rig and think about the gear you have along. 99.9% of the time a solution will present itself.

The same can be said for almost any difficult, stressful or frustrating situation. Often times if you take time to cool off and stop thinking about it, a good solution will come to you. This is why I never try to rush things when I'm working on the Jeep. If I'm doing a project like suspension, sure it can be done in a day. However, I like to take my time and take it easy. Things always go much more smoothly when you take your time and think things out.

Got one of those going on right now. Four-way flashers and turn signals stopped working. Step on the brakes and the right turn signal indicator comes on occasionally. Printed the wiring diagram for that set of lights and working through it right now. It's too bad I suck at wiring and electrical issues.

Reactions: Ryan Thomas