Going from stock TJ suspension to 2.5” suspension lift: What do I need?

Kevlar775

I have a stock jeep tj 2004 and the springs and shocks need replacing due to sagging.
I have a wheel lug adapter kit to fit 5x5 to fit the bigger tires. (got some JK 32inch tires with 17" rims)
I decided to lift it. I got a Rough Country 2.5in coil springs and RC 2.5in lift shocks.
I drive mostly on the road and do very very little offroading sadly.
I have a full metal front and back bumpers with a winch upfront (this might take .5" away nbd)
Will I need any other components?

tires/wheels = 255/75/17r (JKs)

shocks = http://www.gorancho.com/products/sh...-shock-absorber?find=2004-jeep-tj-4wd-2479434

coil springs = https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...-3.html?find=2004-jeep-wrangler-tj-4wd-374059

I've been doing some research.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.
Jack up the vehicle.
Take out coil springs and measure from top to bottom cup.

If that distance is smaller than the shock compression length then I need enough bumpstop to make the cup-to-cup length greater than the shock full-compression length.

The reason for doing this is so I do not destroy my shocks.

You may need a trackbar relocation bracket (rear, or an adjustable trackbar), bump stop extensions (rear to keep the track bar from bashing the fuel harness), and front/rear extended swaybar links.

edit: and an alignment after the lift

You may need a trackbar relocation bracket (rear, or an adjustable trackbar), bump stop extensions (rear to keep the track bar from bashing the fuel harness), and front/rear extended swaybar links.

X2 to this. And either a transfer case drop or a SYE, DC driveshaft, and adjustable rear control arms.

Update: took a full 6 hrs to lift just the front of the TJ. Didn't have enough time to do the rear :/

Gotta love the Ohio salt.

My only automotive experience being oil changes, brakes, replacing u-joints, and the front axle hubs.

We ended up cutting off the seized sway bar link bolts, disconnecting the trackbar and using a coil spring compression kit.

The ride is so much better now.

Total Price
Coil springs = $220
Shocks = $215
used jk 25575r17 75% tread wheels = $200
Wheel lug adapters = $180

Last edited:
Reactions: IPerkWVU
Hey my front took like 3 hours and had to weld a nut to the track bar bolt to get it out, then make a new flag nut for the replacement bolt.

Rear took like 4 and had to weld a nut to the track bar bolt again but just reused the bolt with a 15/16 nut welded onto the factory torx bolt.

Gotta love salt right.

Last edited:

@Kevlar775 I have an old man emu rear track bar bracket for free if you want it, I’m on the east side of town