Good country artists?

Chris Stapleton is a good new artist.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Kind of old school cool.
I used to love Hank Jr., David Allen Coe, Waylon, Charlie Daniels and the bunch back in the early 80's.
I'm not a huge country fan, but I do have 2 stations programmed on my radio, and you're right, I very rarely hear anything on there worth listening to.

I'm more of a hard rock/heavy metal guy.

Reactions: Chris
I'll check out Chris Stapleton. I like that old school sound better than the new school stuff.

Reactions: BendLarry
Well @Chris this post is a few years old now and I’m interested in an update on your foray into country music. Your thoughts?

I find I enjoy the old stuff more. Artists like Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, etc. One new artist I really do like however, is Sturgill Simpson.

I’m not a fan of that pop country sound you hear on the radio. That to me doesn’t sound like country music at all. As a musician myself (guitarist), most of the modern stuff sounds overly polished and fake.

Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams Sr. and Jr., Webb Pierce, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Hank Snow, Willy Nelson, The Carter Family, Charley Pride, vintage Conway Twitty, vintage Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris......to name a few. I absolutely love good shit-kicking music! But before you think I'm a full-on hayseed, I also love grunge, "classic" rock, psychedelic rock, alternative, blues, gospel, bluegrass......everything except rap. (In "Rap", the "c" is silent...) ;)

I am probably not much help because i prefer classic rock Eric Clapton type stuff, but I do have a spot in my heart for George Strait, Allan Jackson, and Randy Travis And. Wynona Judd!

Reactions: RussTJ
I am probably not much help because i prefer classic rock Eric Clapton type stuff, but I do have a spot in my heart for George Strait, Allan Jackson, and Randy Travis And. Wynona Judd!
Saw Randy Travis, K.T. Oslin, and Tammy Wynette in concert. Fantastic show! I like George Strait, and love given my wife crap about Allen Jackson (he's good, but I won't admit it to my wife). The Judds, Garth Brookes, Brookes and Dunn...good shit, Maynard. But I still prefer 40's through 60's country over any of the newer stuff...

Reactions: ac_
I’ve never been a country fan, but an old friend of mine came around and turned me onto shooter Jennings and I became hooked for some time

Hank lll is pretty good. I like him and Shooter. Do yourself a favor and check out Whisky Myers. Also I enjoyed the band Midland.

Eric Church and Chris Stapleton.

Church is excellent in concert. You could completely see him singing on a corner stage, in a bar, behind chicken wire.

Reactions: Thunderhead
I was a Hank Jr. fan, Alabama and such, but I gotta give a shout out to my cousin that is an old school singer and just released his first album. Here he is. Hope people will give him a listen.

http://joshuahedley.com

Here is a song from him.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/en...shville-sound-new-album-mr-jukebox/520474002/
Never heard of him before, but after looking into it and listening to a couple of his songs, I just ordered his album (cd), which apparently just became available today. Very cool. My style of country, for sure. I wish him all the success in the world! Thanks for pointing him out, @gg1. Tell him you deserve a commission! ;)

Reactions: Thunderhead
Jon Pardi gets the party started. Dude is amazing. Saw him live downtown at 4th street live in Louisville KY. Woman throwing their bras on stage...great performer and singer. Just a really good dude ;) look him up. All his songs are killer.

Never heard of him before, but after looking into it and listening to a couple of his songs, I just ordered his album (cd), which apparently just became available today. Very cool. My style of country, for sure. I wish him all the success in the world! Thanks for pointing him out, @gg1. Tell him you deserve a commission! ;)

That is great! He has been in Nashville a long time singing and playing the fiddle and he just got signed and I think the timing is right for an old school country singer to be heard for a change. Here is an article on Rolling Stone. Thanks.

https://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/joshua-hedleys-i-never-shed-a-tear-see-video-w519238

Reactions: Squatch and Starrs
That is great! He has been in Nashville a long time singing and playing the fiddle and he just got signed and I think the timing is right for an old school country singer to be heard for a change. Here is an article on Rolling Stone. Thanks.

https://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/joshua-hedleys-i-never-shed-a-tear-see-video-w519238
That's what Randy Travis did back in the mid-80's, if I'm remembering the era correctly. He had the country music world in the palm of his hand for a while, there. Sad to see what has happened to him...