Got a smoker

Lowcountryearl

TJ Enthusiast
Went through the process of removing the rear drums, cleaning everything and adjusting my rear drum brakes on a 98, drove it to work for the first time after doing so, I got out in the parking lot I saw smoke/ steam (it's a 100 % humidity this morning) coming equally from both rear drums, maybe a faint smell of brake. I adjusted the brakes shoes so there was slight drag on each wheel, ebrake cable is not tight, the Jeep coasts really good so, is this normal?
Should I go by WallyWorld and pickup a fire extinguisher for the ride home :)

I'm thinking that you got something back together wrong.
Do they look like this...make sure.

Specifically, the placement of the green spring/holder.

image.jpeg

I was trying to figure out which of the many different things that could cause that issue might be the problem but then the 3rd post arrived.

Maybe the slight drag on each wheel is slightly too much.

If not, this thread is where I was looking for an answer to begin with. I found it on google three different ways while just looking for pictures.

Thanks, that was the thread I got my information from before I started the job
Most forums say to apply pressure on the drums a few say don't
So I put slight pressure on there as I compromise

I'd back those drums off a click or two. Fronts do like 75% of the stopping anyways. Hopefully Blaine will chime in. He is the resident brake guru.

Did you check to see if there was drag after you had the smoke, Shoes might be sticking to the back plate, parking brake spreader issues or something like that if there was/is drag after a drive when there was none to start with

Reactions: Lowcountryearl
Well, I'm an idiot and maybe someone will learn from my mistake. When I adjusted the star adjustment I did it with the tire on, not the right thing to do. Took it to the brake shop down the street and he says only the drum should be on, one rotation of the drum when you spin it for the optimum drag. I did learn that 390 degrees F is an acceptable heat level for drum brakes, mine were running 460

Reactions: Zorba and LATJ
Thanks for posting this, rebuilt the rear brakes on mine and haven't been happy with how I adjusted them in. Your experience will help me get them set right this time.