Got some skid plate questions

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
So I’m removing the skid right now for maintenance and some painting and I have 3 questions
1. There is a piece above the skid toward the front that is bolted to it and is acting like a pivot point so is that all that piece is?
2. Am I damaging that piece by letting it hang
3. How do I remove it? Or should I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transmission mount. It will unbolt from the larger transfercase skid. You can leave it (attached to the tranny) on after you remove its four bolts holding it to the tcase skid

You aren't damaging it, like @tworley said, that's the transmission mount. If I was painting though, it's simple enough to unbolt the transmission mount, that I would do it just to get the skid out of the way.

Put a jack stand under the transmission before you remove the skid. Otherwise, the entire engine, trans, t-case assembly will fall a short distance.

Reactions: JMT
The engine/transmission/transfer case is bolted together as one long assembly and supported at 3 points. The two front motor mounts and the transmission mount at the rear. Support the transmission with a jack while the skid is not there to provide that third support point.