Grinding when shifting transfer case

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
With everything in neutral, Jeep starts fine. I shift the transfer case into 4H (transmission still in N) and again, all good. As soon as I move the shifter from N however, there is the most horrendous grinding noise, even if I go straight past R into P. If I shut down the car and start it back up again, grinding stops and I can shift between P R N D without issue until I put the transfer case into N and back into 4H again. Thoughts on what the hell is wrong? Transmission is a 32RH on a 98 TJ with a fresh flush and the correct ATF +4 level (as checked in N).

I'd have to be in it , but most problems along this line can be solved by resetting the shifter linkage throw .

Is the Jeep lifted ?

Is this a something that just started or is the Jeep new to you ?

I'd have to be in it , but most problems along this line can be solved by resetting the shifter linkage throw .

Is the Jeep lifted ?

Is this a something that just started or is the Jeep new to you ?
I had the same thought about the linkage, but if it starts grinding and I shut it off and turn it back on again, without touching anything else at all, the grinding stops. My thought was that if it was the linkage then I would have to give it a little jiggle or something to get it to fully shift.

Jeep is not lifted, and this it the first time I've heard this grinding. I can't recall if I've ever shifted between N and 4H before though while the Jeep was running.

I had the same thought about the linkage, but if it starts grinding and I shut it off and turn it back on again, without touching anything else at all, the grinding stops. My thought was that if it was the linkage then I would have to give it a little jiggle or something to get it to fully shift.

Jeep is not lifted, and this it the first time I've heard this grinding. I can't recall if I've ever shifted between N and 4H before though while the Jeep was running.
Are you calling 4-wheel high when you pull the lever all the way up?

Are you calling 4-wheel high when you pull the lever all the way up?
No, the grinding happens when I put the transmission in gear after shifting from N to 4H on the transfer (by pushing toward the tub, aka I'm not shifting into 4L by mistake).

Got ya.. there is definitely something out of kilter with it

It sounds to me like it's not clicking into 4hi completely and when you slap it in gear the transfer case gears are trying to mesh

Let me make sure I'm following you you are in park and you go from neutral to 4 high , you put the transmission in gear and it starts acting up

Let me make sure I'm following you you are in park and you go from neutral to 4 high , you put the transmission in gear and it starts acting up
Close. Transmission and transfer case are in N, start up, shift transfer case to 4H, and then when I move the transmission at all (to either P, R, or D) the grinding starts up. I shut the Jeep off and start it right back up again without touching anything and the grinding stops.

That is weird ., Start it , both in neutral , then go to reverse and back to neutral , and engage 4 hi and tell me what happens .

That is weird ., Start it , both in neutral , then go to reverse and back to neutral , and engage 4 hi and tell me what happens .
No grinding as long as the transmission stays in N. As soon as I move it out of the that, grinding starts.
Alternatively, if the transfer case is already in 4H or 2H when the Jeep starts, there’s no grinding. Only when the Jeep is stared with the transfer case in N.

No grinding as long as the transmission stays in N. As soon as I move it out of the that, grinding starts.
Alternatively, if the transfer case is already in 4H or 2H when the Jeep starts, there’s no grinding. Only when the Jeep is stared with the transfer case in N.
but I'm trying to find out is if you put it in reverse before you shift the transfer case into 4 high will that stop the grinding

Idling , neutral, then reverse , then neutral , then 4 hi

what I'm getting at is trying to take the pressure off of the drive shaft going into the transfer case to relax the gears.

you are almost engaged, but not quite. When you shut it off and restart, it will pop into gear probably. Missed it by () that much
that's exactly what I think that's why I was getting at the reverse thing so he could take a little tension off the system.

I adjusted a guy's linkage the other day the Jeep had just sat and for whatever reason....who knows maybe the motor mount bushings and so forth shrink or whatever it just did not want to engage when the lever was at the proper position.

That 13 mm nut on the lever throw rod is a valuable adjustment.

you are almost engaged, but not quite. When you shut it off and restart, it will pop into gear probably. Missed it by () that much
that's exactly what I think that's why I was getting at the reverse thing so he could take a little tension off the system.

I adjusted a guy's linkage the other day the Jeep had just sat and for whatever reason....who knows maybe the motor mount bushings and so forth shrink or whatever it just did not want to engage when the lever was at the proper position.

That 13 mm nut on the lever throw rod is a valuable adjustment

Reactions: FJQue