Guage or sending unit

Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sooo every time I start my tj the oil pressure does not read at all, I shut her down and restart and it registers normal. This is how it goes every time without fail. I changed the sending unit so now I'm wondering if its the guage.

Mine does this a couple times a week. I was going to try the sending unit first. But just wondering about this too so I thought I would chime in to follow this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Forty
Mine does this a couple times a week. I was going to try the sending unit first. But just wondering about this too so I thought I would chime in to follow this

Well I did see someone else post to only use a mopar sensor, which I didn't do lol. But yeah it happens every time I start which is annoying and more starts = more wear.

Reactions: kadehamilton
Well I did see someone else post to only use a mopar sensor, which I didn't do lol. But yeah it happens every time I start which is annoying and more starts = more wear.

Yeah I was going to go with a mopar part, but I just haven't got around to it.

Yeah I was going to go with a mopar part, but I just haven't got around to it.

My next step is the mopar sending unit and new pressure guage. Just hoping someone else had any clue before going through parts $$

I would try just the sending unit from mopar, at least that's what I'm gonna go.

The TJ oil pressure gauge is notoriously inaccurate, and it very, very rarely has anything to do with the gauge itself. It's almost always the sending unit.

If you don't use an OE Mopar sending unit, you'll be even worse off in most cases. However, I question how accurate even the OE Mopar sending unit is.

Reactions: Forty
Recently my oil pressure would spike all the way to 80. So I switched my sending unit out with a non mopar one and it made it drop down to about 75. Then, after my most recent oil change it seemed to drop even lower (back to what it used to always be).

I don't know if I should be concerned or if maybe my oil was breaking down some sludge in that little oil sending unit channel and now it's good?

I ordered the sending unit last night. As soon as I get it and install I'll update this post. Thank you all for you input and I hope this helps those that are dealing with the same issue.

Mine also does this but it starts out fine when I first get into it and start it....then after driving for a while when you shut off the engine and restart it the oil pressure gauge doesn't register anything.....does it like that everytime

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

When I looked that up, Amazon said that part did not fit my 2004. In searching, I came up with

Mopar 5149098AA Engine Oil Pressure Switch

Any ideas in what model year that changed?

5149098AA is the part number for the oil pressure switch for 2010-2011 Jeep Wranglers.

Upon further investigation 4608303 is also an OE part number for the oil pressure sending unit for 1997-2006 Wranglers. I went to O'Reiley's website and looked up the sending unit for a 2004 Wrangler and it came back with this part number: 4608303

When I type that into the OE part diagrams on WeRMopar.com, it comes back with 5149097AA. Which is odd, because it doesn't say that's for the Wrangler, but according to all my internet research it is indeed the correct part number.

Unfortunately you can't always count on Amazon in regards to their system showing if it fits or not.

5149098AA is the part number for the oil pressure switch for 2010-2011 Jeep Wranglers.

Upon further investigation 4608303 is also an OE part number for the oil pressure sending unit for 1997-2006 Wranglers. I went to O'Reiley's website and looked up the sending unit for a 2004 Wrangler and it came back with this part number: 4608303

When I type that into the OE part diagrams on WeRMopar.com, it comes back with 5149097AA. Which is odd, because it doesn't say that's for the Wrangler, but according to all my internet research it is indeed the correct part number.

Unfortunately you can't always count on Amazon in regards to their system showing if it fits or not.

I ordered the oil pressure switch from amazon and when I received the part in the mail it didn't match the one on my 98 wrangler......

So yes, can not count on amazon cause it said that part fit my jeep...lol

I ordered the oil pressure switch from amazon and when I received the part in the mail it didn't match the one on my 98 wrangler......

So yes, can not count on amazon cause it said that part fit my jeep...lol

Yep, I agree. Often times their part fitment guide is correct. However, I've had numerous occasions where it was wrong.

The nice thing about Amazon is that they are absolutely fantastic when it comes to customer service and returns.

Reactions: StuckNohio